Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

JVC autocal

Posted (edited)

Here are some pics after Jeff Meier did a professional calibration on my RS 400did a professional calibration on my RS 400

On 22/03/2019 at 8:46 PM, betty boop said:

suspect photos not doing them justice rcapprotti. its certainly not easy taking screen shots to best capture what seeing. but have no doubt with the proficiency of jeff M doing your calibration this unit is probably nothing short of outstanding. while all for an autocal and something I have done, id suggest a professional calibrator knowing that they are doing is likely to take things further especially with HDR :) as been doing so with SDR for many years now...

You're absolutely right that's why I deleted some of these pictures because they looked fine on mine phone when I transfer them from the camera but when I displayed him on this site they didn't look so good. It certainly didn't do the picture justice so you're absolutely right it's hard to capture a really good picture or representation of what the picture looks like. And particularly on the life of pi in HDR you can't pause it because in the middle of screen is a small picture of where you have stopped or what chapter you're in so you certainly don't want to take a picture of that. Now with planet earth that's a different story you can pause it and you don't have that issue I'll post the pictures and you can see what I'm talking about. But trust me it's night and day difference after having it professionally calibratedand you don't have that issue I'll post the pictures and you can see what I'm talking about. But trust me it's night and day difference after having it professionally calibrated

fullsizeoutput_8db.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8d6.jpeg

DA03BC41-91A5-4629-8EA3-10D61232ECAC.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8dd.jpeg

Edited by rcapprotti

As you can see the pictures don't represent what the actual projector is displaying it's funny though I've taken some pictures at looked really really good but it's a hard thing to do and see in I'm not a professional photographer they could probably Dr. the photos and make damn look much better than what I'm showing you but I'm really happy with the calibration particularly getting the HDR to work on the RS 400 which was a problem that JVC had so I wish I had better pictures but you get the jest I'm really happy with what Jeff did professional really good guy

rcapprotti, its not easy to take screen shots that are representative. when I do I use a full frame camera canon 5D4 / EOSR with a prime lens in sigma art 50 1.4 and from viewing distance and use this focal length as it best represents the perspective of human eye. I dont do any post processing at all, apart from cropping thats it. but it takes knowing a bit about cameras and camera gear and doing best so best representative :) its very hard to capture ... but look important thing thing is you are super impressed and jeff has no doubt does a great job :) 

I agree cameras are much more complex than people think they are and you really need to invest in a decent amount of money into a good camera. The camera we took the pictures Well it was About a $600 camera not a great camera and they’ve got so many settings on there certainly not  like the cameras I Grew up with when I was a kid LOL. No like you said the most important thing is if you enjoy the look of your projector and I do I just watch sky fall and it really looks super nice

Hey Guys

just wondering if there is anyone in perth who has the autocal gear and would be willing to come and have a play on mine.  It was professionally calibrated about a year or so ago but that was alot of hours ago and i think it could use an adjustment.  would like to see the autocal in action before i drop cash on a purchase

Cheers

Steffan

Hi Guys,

I have put together a guide that helps me with the JVC Autocal. Posting link here to help others that were is the same situation as me. Manni has great info in regards to the Autocal and he references the 4k N5,7,9 but most applies to previous models to. I have the X5900 and my guide references to these models.

Hope this is helpful to other enthusiasts. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy6ltvttannuny4/JVC AutoCal Guide.docx?dl=0

Reference: https://discuss.avscience.com/index.php?topic=1850.msg10390#msg10390

On 27/03/2019 at 3:27 PM, steffanth said:

Hey Guys

just wondering if there is anyone in perth who has the autocal gear and would be willing to come and have a play on mine.  It was professionally calibrated about a year or so ago but that was alot of hours ago and i think it could use an adjustment.  would like to see the autocal in action before i drop cash on a purchase

Cheers

Steffan

I've just picked up a Spyder5 and am having a bit of a first-time fiddle now. I imagine there'll be some teething issues but when I'm confident that I know what I'm doing, I might be able to help.

I must confess, I haven't seen the "Error triangle" message myself.
If my suggestion doesn't fix the problem, flick me your email address via PM and I'll send you a copy of my "JVC AutoCal workflow" document. 

Hi there, I’m thinking of doing an autocal on my x5000. Could I please grab a copy of your workflow? Much appreciated and I’ll pm my email. Cheers

Quote from Javs in regards to JVC AutoCal.

For GAMMA.

Filter, No filter, High Lamp, Low Lamp, ST.2084, CMD On/Off.

Those are all the modes which carry with them individual gamma calibrations which then apply to any and all combinations of the above.

If you dont use CMD. And you want your entire projector calibrated for a proper gamma baseline, because you want to be very thorough, then you need to calibrate for eg:

I select Gamma ONLY in the Autocal prefs before these steps.

Standard Colour Mode (Or any other factory default colour profile with NO Filter engaged) in Low Lamp and High Lamp. (You need to Select NORMAL Gamma for this). This will fix Gamma baseline for any and ALL picture/colour modes which do not use the filter.

Reference Colour Mode (Or any factory colour profile with Filter) / HDR Mode (X20/X40 Models) in Low Lamp and High lamp. (With the X20 and X40 models, you need to select the ST.2084 Gamma for this, if using the X00 model then NORMAL gamma needs to be selected). Again, this will correct baseline gamma for any and all modes using a colour profile that snaps the filter in place. If you have X20/X40 models, then you should calibrate the HDR mode on that projector with the ST.2084 gamma selected. The X00 models cannot calibrate Gamma D.

If you use CMD, then you need to do each of those again with CMD enabled.

Doing this will yield a baseline gamma correct calibration no matter which user mode of colour profile you use.

So for me, I calibrate Standard Mode Low/High lamp both ONLY iris 0 for Gamma. Then I do HDR Mode (Since I own X20/X40 model) High / Low.

Then since Gamma is done for the whole projector in all modes, I switch Autocal into Colour only mode.

FOR COLOR.

Then go to my User Preset for SDR and colour profile - User 1 / Rec709 colour profile / D6500 Colour temp. Then I calibrate Iris position 0 / 4 / 8 / 12 In both Low Lamp and High Lamp. Then SDR is completely done for the entire projector.

Repeat with my HDR prestet. BT2020 Colour Profile / ST2084 Gamma mode / HDR Colour Temp (X20/X40 Models). Calibrate Iris position 0 / 4 / 8 / 12 In both Low Lamp and High Lamp. Then HDR is completely done for the entire projector.

That is being completely thorough. If you want to save a BUNCH of time, just calibrate the iris positions you wish to use in whatever mode you use. But me, I hate when I go through the iris steps, I see colour temp changes, so I prefer to have the whole projector at least in the same ballpark and all drift will be close to equal in every mode.

Make sense?

I have a x5000 so no filter and not using cmd also. If I do a gamma only autocal. Do I need to do separate gamma only cal for each iris/lamp setting or does gamma only correct all regardless of lamp/iris setting?

Quote from Javs in regards to JVC AutoCal.

For GAMMA.

Filter, No filter, High Lamp, Low Lamp, ST.2084, CMD On/Off.

Those are all the modes which carry with them individual gamma calibrations which then apply to any and all combinations of the above.

If you dont use CMD. And you want your entire projector calibrated for a proper gamma baseline, because you want to be very thorough, then you need to calibrate for eg:

I select Gamma ONLY in the Autocal prefs before these steps.

Standard Colour Mode (Or any other factory default colour profile with NO Filter engaged) in Low Lamp and High Lamp. (You need to Select NORMAL Gamma for this). This will fix Gamma baseline for any and ALL picture/colour modes which do not use the filter.

Reference Colour Mode (Or any factory colour profile with Filter) / HDR Mode (X20/X40 Models) in Low Lamp and High lamp. (With the X20 and X40 models, you need to select the ST.2084 Gamma for this, if using the X00 model then NORMAL gamma needs to be selected). Again, this will correct baseline gamma for any and all modes using a colour profile that snaps the filter in place. If you have X20/X40 models, then you should calibrate the HDR mode on that projector with the ST.2084 gamma selected. The X00 models cannot calibrate Gamma D.

If you use CMD, then you need to do each of those again with CMD enabled.

Doing this will yield a baseline gamma correct calibration no matter which user mode of colour profile you use.

So for me, I calibrate Standard Mode Low/High lamp both ONLY iris 0 for Gamma. Then I do HDR Mode (Since I own X20/X40 model) High / Low.

Then since Gamma is done for the whole projector in all modes, I switch Autocal into Colour only mode.

FOR COLOR.

Then go to my User Preset for SDR and colour profile - User 1 / Rec709 colour profile / D6500 Colour temp. Then I calibrate Iris position 0 / 4 / 8 / 12 In both Low Lamp and High Lamp. Then SDR is completely done for the entire projector.

Repeat with my HDR prestet. BT2020 Colour Profile / ST2084 Gamma mode / HDR Colour Temp (X20/X40 Models). Calibrate Iris position 0 / 4 / 8 / 12 In both Low Lamp and High Lamp. Then HDR is completely done for the entire projector.

That is being completely thorough. If you want to save a BUNCH of time, just calibrate the iris positions you wish to use in whatever mode you use. But me, I hate when I go through the iris steps, I see colour temp changes, so I prefer to have the whole projector at least in the same ballpark and all drift will be close to equal in every mode.

Make sense?

What settings do you use for HDR(colour only autocal) with the x00 models. Keeping in mind I have a x5000( no filter) and use mannis rec2020NF profile
Cheers

Just getting into this. I am on my 3rd JVC DLA, an X5900, but have not ventured into calibration, apart from playing with gamma by eye, using a Blu Ray with a greyscale test file.

The autocal software manual says to use the Spyder 5 or i1 Pro 2. I have the basic i1Display Pro for video editing monitor calibration. Does anyone know if this will work with the JVC software, but be not as accurate? Not looking forward to spending another $500+, if this will work.

Sorry to disappoint, the i1 Display pro is not compatible. Use a Spyder 5 for GAMMA only and u can try colour but is not usually recommended due to the spyder might be out. If you have a i1 Pro then you can do colour with that meter.

On 10/06/2019 at 7:19 PM, tulls said:

What settings do you use for HDR(colour only autocal) with the x00 models. Keeping in mind I have a x5000( no filter) and use mannis rec2020NF profile
Cheers

With the X5000 you need to use the Manni Rec 2020 profile where as in the x5900 i use the HDR colour profile as this profile is not present on the x5000.

Thanks for the confirmation. Sadly that means saving for the Pro 2. Does the auto cal give a good result, comparable to getting a professional in? Sadly there is no one close that is qualified to do the job with their gear.

Can anyone here clarify what screen size you are supposed to input if you have a scope aspect screen?

The JVC autocal program does not give you the option of choosing between a 16:9 and scope aspect.

Cheers