JVC autocal

5 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Just to clarify something if i may. Can i use the spyder 5 Express for my projector or do i need the Pro version.

Yep. 

Only difference with the pro is the software. 

And you dont use the software, so save some coin and buy the express. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 12:30 AM, :) al said:

Its a fantastic option with JVC projectors that they allow an "autocal" i.e. auto calibration with specific colorimeter, e.g. the spyder 5 express that can work with my jvc x7000. The benefit of this system is you can run it anytime to whip jvc projector in line and with projectors this is something realistically needed every 200 hours or so and not feasible if doing using a professional calibrator everytime. 

So something been meaning to get around to for a long while, just not had the head space to get my head around. Something I know there is a bit of interest in with few others I knew and similarly afflicted. Fortunately for us we have in our presence an @IMDave who has managed to master this aspect of JVCs. 

So we arranged a little autocal gtg last night, with small troupe with @muriwai @Quark and @Kazz joining in along with myself  to get our brains around this 

below is the colorimeter we used,

Datacolor-Spyder5-Monitor-Calibrator_63c

which i purchased off digidirect a while back, keeping in mind their eBay store and eBay sales making a very affordable prospect,

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/colour_calibration/datacolor_spyder_5_express

and prior to the gtg on imdaves instruction, made sure downloaded the latest JVC software specific to my x7000,

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550rb_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs400_calibrationsoft-dl.html

also made sure the colorimeter was installed on my laptop with its software and driver etc off the datacolor website,

http://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyder5-family/

Session was very much a learning exercise so took us a little while, as we negotiated each step. Though if just doing it yourself have no doubt would just whip through and something once comfortable with can indeed just get through rather swiftly.

it wasnt without some hurdles. mainly because the jvc software requires both the projector and laptop on the same network. we were using the laptop wireless and jvc hooked to my router. and with network between laptop and jvc dropping out at one stage we eventually decided to just hook the laptop also cabled to the router. note to self buy another 10m network lead !  only other hiccup was at one point the software mis behaved not allowing us to select the bt2020 color space. but shutting the software and re opening seemed to fix that.

also some care is needed with meter placement i.e. in the light path and rear end of window box as assisted with auto cal software.

Care also needs to be taken to save the original factory setup that is now carefully saved away for future. what ended up is a calibration for UHD blu-ray and also a R709 preset for blu-ray and DVD/ fta TV etc.

Am extremely pleased with the end result. I think i had things pretty well to start with, but over the moon since and couldnt stop watching with various material put through once everyone left, with DVD, blu-ray, uhd blu-ray all looking an absolute treat. I still need to do some final dialling in(i.e. brightness contrast via the wow disney disc) and look am sure the expensive gear pros use and in hands of a pro calibrator (not taking anything away from the guys) would have no doubt achieve an even better result, but keeping in mind the relatively affordable outlay, and given this ws a first go on my pj, I think the result is fantastic !!!!

A big big thanks to imdave for taking us through this. Kazz has said she is going to have a go doing her jvc over the weekend and no doubt others will also give a go now. what is fantastic I have to say that as a forum it can bring ourselves together in something like this that some of us were struggling with potentially.... to even get started. hopefully this is encouragement for others to also give a go :)

below some photos from evening and also some pretty rough screen shots of my calibration results :) . Hopefully this thread is not only an inspiration for others and I know there is considerable resource online, but also perhaps something us locals here can use to share experiences and to utilise where come stuck or trying to get head around. Also hopefully this thread also inspires others to get together similarly. we are already talking about a 2nd gtg perhaps in some months time to talk ARVE curves which seem to be another step ahead...

imdave taking us through the autocal process, and getting ourselves setup prior to the autocal

36197955534_f8673f0310_b.jpg

colorimeter sensor in place

36636545480_07290dc514_b.jpg

as confirmed by the jvc autocal software that the sensor is within the calibration window and we are ready for lights off and starting auto cal ! 

36636553650_d0b87fcc6e_b.jpg

projector settings,

37033171935_848849bd93_b.jpg

some calibration chart results,

36197971824_0a282e517c_b.jpg

36862280052_96db47bd7c_b.jpg

37033191285_94b4025477_b.jpg

36892309621_73d5986ba4_b.jpg

37033199605_b346a6fc6c_b.jpg

37033200325_7a4390d3c3_b.jpg

36892313451_e46f814267_b.jpg

36862292422_e2c63afb38_b.jpg

you said you used the Spyder 5 express, but when you go to the JVC website and look up autocal it telling you to use the Spyder 5 elite, but what you saying is this can be done with the express right, and I will need 2 Ethernet cable 

Edited by rcapprotti
needed more text

55 minutes ago, rcapprotti said:

you said you used the Spyder 5 express, but when you go to the JVC website and look up autocal it telling you to use the Spyder 5 elite, but what you saying is this can be done with the express right, and I will need 2 Ethernet cable 

the express and the elite are the exact same device. the elite just comes with some other software we dont use. so save your bucks and get the express. everyone else i know has :)

i just use one network cable jvc to router. my lap top is already on the network.

On 9/5/2017 at 12:30 AM, :) al said:

Its a fantastic option with JVC projectors that they allow an "autocal" i.e. auto calibration with specific colorimeter, e.g. the spyder 5 express that can work with my jvc x7000. The benefit of this system is you can run it anytime to whip jvc projector in line and with projectors this is something realistically needed every 200 hours or so and not feasible if doing using a professional calibrator everytime. 

So something been meaning to get around to for a long while, just not had the head space to get my head around. Something I know there is a bit of interest in with few others I knew and similarly afflicted. Fortunately for us we have in our presence an @IMDave who has managed to master this aspect of JVCs. 

So we arranged a little autocal gtg last night, with small troupe with @muriwai @Quark and @Kazz joining in along with myself  to get our brains around this 

below is the colorimeter we used,

Datacolor-Spyder5-Monitor-Calibrator_63c

which i purchased off digidirect a while back, keeping in mind their eBay store and eBay sales making a very affordable prospect,

http://www.digidirect.com.au/accessories/colour_calibration/datacolor_spyder_5_express

and prior to the gtg on imdaves instruction, made sure downloaded the latest JVC software specific to my x7000,

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550rb_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs400_calibrationsoft-dl.html

also made sure the colorimeter was installed on my laptop with its software and driver etc off the datacolor website,

http://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/product-overview/spyder5-family/

Session was very much a learning exercise so took us a little while, as we negotiated each step. Though if just doing it yourself have no doubt would just whip through and something once comfortable with can indeed just get through rather swiftly.

it wasnt without some hurdles. mainly because the jvc software requires both the projector and laptop on the same network. we were using the laptop wireless and jvc hooked to my router. and with network between laptop and jvc dropping out at one stage we eventually decided to just hook the laptop also cabled to the router. note to self buy another 10m network lead !  only other hiccup was at one point the software mis behaved not allowing us to select the bt2020 color space. but shutting the software and re opening seemed to fix that.

also some care is needed with meter placement i.e. in the light path and rear end of window box as assisted with auto cal software.

Care also needs to be taken to save the original factory setup that is now carefully saved away for future. what ended up is a calibration for UHD blu-ray and also a R709 preset for blu-ray and DVD/ fta TV etc.

Am extremely pleased with the end result. I think i had things pretty well to start with, but over the moon since and couldnt stop watching with various material put through once everyone left, with DVD, blu-ray, uhd blu-ray all looking an absolute treat. I still need to do some final dialling in(i.e. brightness contrast via the wow disney disc) and look am sure the expensive gear pros use and in hands of a pro calibrator (not taking anything away from the guys) would have no doubt achieve an even better result, but keeping in mind the relatively affordable outlay, and given this ws a first go on my pj, I think the result is fantastic !!!!

A big big thanks to imdave for taking us through this. Kazz has said she is going to have a go doing her jvc over the weekend and no doubt others will also give a go now. what is fantastic I have to say that as a forum it can bring ourselves together in something like this that some of us were struggling with potentially.... to even get started. hopefully this is encouragement for others to also give a go :)

below some photos from evening and also some pretty rough screen shots of my calibration results :) . Hopefully this thread is not only an inspiration for others and I know there is considerable resource online, but also perhaps something us locals here can use to share experiences and to utilise where come stuck or trying to get head around. Also hopefully this thread also inspires others to get together similarly. we are already talking about a 2nd gtg perhaps in some months time to talk ARVE curves which seem to be another step ahead...

imdave taking us through the autocal process, and getting ourselves setup prior to the autocal

36197955534_f8673f0310_b.jpg

colorimeter sensor in place

36636545480_07290dc514_b.jpg

as confirmed by the jvc autocal software that the sensor is within the calibration window and we are ready for lights off and starting auto cal ! 

36636553650_d0b87fcc6e_b.jpg

projector settings,

37033171935_848849bd93_b.jpg

some calibration chart results,

36197971824_0a282e517c_b.jpg

36862280052_96db47bd7c_b.jpg

37033191285_94b4025477_b.jpg

36892309621_73d5986ba4_b.jpg

37033199605_b346a6fc6c_b.jpg

37033200325_7a4390d3c3_b.jpg

36892313451_e46f814267_b.jpg

36862292422_e2c63afb38_b.jpg

Thanks i will need to borrow Windows computer I have a Mac and I know mac wont work, this is my first project and my first go around with 4K HDR only have a few Blu-ray 4K movies and out of the four have only TDK looks right the rest of them look washed out in some scenes and too dark in others, after doing some reading I found out that the gamma curve for the HDR is not right on these JVC projectors I have an RS 400 and a oppo 203 it look spectacular with regular Blu-rays but not with 4k I think once I do this it'll be fine, anyway thanks for the info I think I'm better hit the sack the time difference is quite a bit different here in the US thanks once again

"Thanks i will need to borrow Windows computer I have a Mac and I know mac wont work, this is my first project and my first go around with 4K HDR only have a few Blu-ray 4K movies and out of the four have only TDK looks right the rest of them look washed out in some scenes and too dark in others, after doing some reading I found out that the gamma curve for the HDR is not right on these JVC projectors I have an RS 400 and a oppo 203 it look spectacular with regular Blu-rays but not with 4k I think once I do this it'll be fine, anyway thanks for the info I think I'm better hit the sack the time difference is quite a bit different here in the US thanks once again

57"

before, going boots in with an unocal, id question whether you have done some basic setup ? I can point you to this thread of mine where i cover the basics, and id suggest to do some basics and will get you close before running an autocal. similarly with an rs400 have you got the latest firmware ? would be making sure as the right colour space comes with that. yes still gamma D but not end of the world you'll still get pretty decent end result :)

5 hours ago, :) al said:

"Thanks i will need to borrow Windows computer I have a Mac and I know mac wont work, this is my first project and my first go around with 4K HDR only have a few Blu-ray 4K movies and out of the four have only TDK looks right the rest of them look washed out in some scenes and too dark in others, after doing some reading I found out that the gamma curve for the HDR is not right on these JVC projectors I have an RS 400 and a oppo 203 it look spectacular with regular Blu-rays but not with 4k I think once I do this it'll be fine, anyway thanks for the info I think I'm better hit the sack the time difference is quite a bit different here in the US thanks once again

57"

before, going boots in with an unocal, id question whether you have done some basic setup ? I can point you to this thread of mine where i cover the basics, and id suggest to do some basics and will get you close before running an autocal. similarly with an rs400 have you got the latest firmware ? would be making sure as the right colour space comes with that. yes still gamma D but not end of the world you'll still get pretty decent end result :)

The latest firmware on my rs400 is u83.2. From what I understand to get the full number of the firmware you have to hook the PC up to it this is correct or am I wrong? like u83.2. there should be another number after that last dot, I purchased this from Mike Garrett AV science he told me a couple months ago that it had the latest firmware, and no I have not done any Basic setup

Edited by rcapprotti
text

7 hours ago, rcapprotti said:

The latest firmware on my rs400 is u83.2. From what I understand to get the full number of the firmware you have to hook the PC up to it this is correct or am I wrong? like u83.2. there should be another number after that last dot, I purchased this from Mike Garrett AV science he told me a couple months ago that it had the latest firmware, and no I have not done any Basic setup

if follow the link i posted above will see 83.2 is what i am running. mike garrett knows his stuff.

id be suggesting some basic setup before going into an autocal(suggest follow link i posted if need some tips on how to do)

43 minutes ago, steffanth said:

just wondering if there is anyone in perth that has the hardware needed for the autocal on an x7000.

I would like to see how it comes up and i am not overly confident doing this sort of stuff so if i can see someone do it first it would be very helpful to me.

Hi steffanth, we have a few people over in wa. I imagine a few jvc owners. 

Maybe be a gig style thing is the goer. Even if no one the wiser at present am sure collectively even if blind leading blind many hands and putting heads together would have nutted out :)

ps I don’t know how unique the meters are  can be quite affordable. I got mine from local eBay DigiDirect store and it was quite a cheap thing.

way I figured even if didn’t work for me for Autocal I could calibrate some other things with it.

On 3/23/2018 at 4:10 PM, :) al said:

if follow the link i posted above will see 83.2 is what i am running. mike garrett knows his stuff.

id be suggesting some basic setup before going into an autocal(suggest follow link i posted if need some tips on how to do)

I think I found the solution to my particular situation ,Seeing I’m not comfortable Doing an update because it does need an update for the BT2020 Color profile and then the task of doing an autocal  and buying the equipment,  Jeff meier from accucal  here stateside  offers a service of shipping your projector and he will do a full calibration on the unit,  and he’s well aware of the problem the RS 400 has with needing a custom Gamma curve profile and also the problem with HDR the services $250 of course I have to pay for shipping there and back so it’ll probably cost me a little over $300 but at least it will be in the hands of somebody who knows what they’re doing, so that’s route I believe I will go

Well change of plans instead of sending my projector off to be calibrated by a professional calibrator I sent it to JVC, I sent them an email and basically asked them why they didn't correct a couple problems that they had on this projector for almost two years of course my projectors different than most of yours it's an RS 400, but it had a gamma problem and it would be nice if they had downloaded the BT2020 Color profile to my surprise I got an email from a Rob Budde the Product Manger at JVC and he told me to send the projector out to California and they would install the color profile and do a calibration on it, the only thing it would cost me is to ship it out there which was about $130 they should get it tomorrow hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week and I'll be able to watch some 4K movies, I just wasn't comfortable doing an update and Autocal so let JVC do it

On 3/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, steffanth said:

just wondering if there is anyone in perth that has the hardware needed for the autocal on an x7000.

I would like to see how it comes up and i am not overly confident doing this sort of stuff so if i can see someone do it first it would be very helpful to me.

I've just picked up an x7900 and interested in exploring autocal. Unfortunately, I have an X-rite i1Display Pro which I don't believe is compatible with JVC's autocal. Shame, since as far as I'm aware, it is supposed to be more accurate that the Spyder5.

Anyway, I'd be up for a group sesh if ever there was one here in Perth to suss this Autocal business out.

• 4 weeks later...

I am another that is thinking about this too ... I got my X7900 last week!

Still running mine in (just 50 hours on it) ... wondering if I can do UHD HDR without running the lamp on HIGH, as the extra noise is bothering me (projector is ceiling mounted and above and behind the main seating position).

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I am another that is thinking about this too ... I got my X7900 last week!

Still running mine in (just 50 hours on it) ... wondering if I can do UHD HDR without running the lamp on HIGH, as the extra noise is bothering me (projector is ceiling mounted and above and behind the main seating position).

congrats ! re HDR just depends on screen size and throw and what achieving for output at the screen. you want around 100 Nits to get some benefit from HDR. So worth checking on low lamp vs high lamp wiht a light meter to see what achieving :)

42 minutes ago, :) al said:

congrats ! re HDR just depends on screen size and throw and what achieving for output at the screen. you want around 100 Nits to get some benefit from HDR. So worth checking on low lamp vs high lamp wiht a light meter to see what achieving :)

Thanks Al ... you know I have been sitting on the sidelines for years now ?.

I have a 115 inch cinemascope Stewart screen with 1.3 gain used in a bat-cave light controlled room.  The X7900 projector is 5.1 metres from the screen.  So perhaps I will have a shot at it using low lamp mode? 

9 minutes ago, MrC said:

Thanks Al ... you know I have been sitting on the sidelines for years now ?.

I have a 115 inch cinemascope Stewart screen with 1.3 gain used in a bat-cave light controlled room.  The X7900 projector is 5.1 metres from the screen.  So perhaps I will have a shot at it using low lamp mode? 

hehe its an awesome thing these new JVCs ! I suspect you have plenty of output. though if havent got one I would suggest be well worth getting a light meter , consider it an essential tool like a spl meter in audio terms

I posted link to similar to local sourced quality one am using and its a pretty low cost investment in scheme of things. and wont have guessing where at. as quite possibly even with low lamp you are well above in output terms for both SD and HD :D and could crank back the iris for contrast benefit and leave a bit more up the sleeve as the lamp ages  !

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=3872122

1 hour ago, :) al said:

hehe its an awesome thing these new JVCs ! I suspect you have plenty of output. though if havent got one I would suggest be well worth getting a light meter , consider it an essential tool like a spl meter in audio terms

I posted link to similar to local sourced quality one am using and its a pretty low cost investment in scheme of things. and wont have guessing where at. as quite possibly even with low lamp you are well above in output terms for both SD and HD :D and could crank back the iris for contrast benefit and leave a bit more up the sleeve as the lamp ages  !

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=3872122

I shall get one of those indeed !  Where is the best place to source one of those?

1 minute ago, MrC said:

That is different to the one required for the JVC autocal?

yes :)

the one i pointed you to is so you can dial in your output which i what was talking about here, need to do this for 1080p (12-14 FL ) and UHD (~30FL ie 100Nits)

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/232550-jvc-autocal/?do=findComment&comment=3891903 autocal or not you want to do some basic setup prior as I have outlined in this thread here,

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/97059-jvc-redux-jvcs-dla-x7000-4k-e-shift-projector-an-end-user-perspective/?do=findComment&comment=1545896

the colorimeter you need is listed in the 1st post of this thread,

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/232550-jvc-autocal/

• 1 month later...
On 09/09/2017 at 11:51 AM, Kazz said:

I had the house to myself last night, so I warmed up the PJ, setup the Spyder did the autocal for Non HDR, all seemed to be going well..............:thumb:

After that it all went pear shaped.  :(

Did the auto cal for high lamp mode and everything got a pinkish tinge to it, even after running the calibration for BT2020 I still had a pink tinge..........:emot-bang:

So I packed up and went to bed, was almost midnight by then anyway.  :(

This morning I've restored the backup file and reset to factory settings, I'll have to revisit Autocal another time, don't hink I have the patience to try again this weekend.  :(

How did you go Kazz ? I've just received my x5900 last night and I'm curious about the Jvc Auto cal. Used  to use Calman but there not supporting autocal on the new Jvc as of yet.