Sign in to follow this  
ryanjs

Will this crossover work?

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

The question is not "will they work well". You've missed the point.

I responded to your claim:

"Yes is the answer. It will work well."

I missed nothing. You are misleading @ryanjs . The crossovers will work. They will not work well. 

Jaycar do not publish the impedance curve for their speakers. Have you run the impedance curves of the Jaycar speakers in question? Without those impedance curves, designing a speaker system around those drivers is just a guess. 

BTW: The cost of the drivers is:

HF - $19.95.

Mid - $34.95

Bass - $79.95

The drivers are very inexpensive but good value for money. Lets not scare the poor guy out of a DIY project. There is too little of it these days. At any time the Xovers can be altered or replaced. But you're guessing wildly at the result if you don't build and listen - once more - in your room with your gear and your music.

Build and listen, then decide what to do. You'll probably do nothing as they will sound fine. I don't like the sound of Wilsons but love Audio Note's modest two way. Different strokes for different blokes. No wild guessing just pure subjective reality.

18 hours ago, Happy said:

So what are those generic XO for? Strictly school project only? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are useful for spare parts only. Or for blog posts showing why they are a bad idea for just about every combination of drivers and enclosure you could consider! A future blog post perhaps.

Here is a crossover that is actually much closer to ideal than most of these types:

PXO-original-TM.png.3f447f2cd6c26a343ae46b9a08ae1978.png

(Each vertical division is 5 dB) 

In this example a commercially designed crossover is used but the drivers and baffle edges have been changed. You can see the tweeter is more sensitive, but it's not just a matter of padding it down - the actual slope needs shaping. The mid dome has been switched to a Morel and you can see a hump either end of the passband - those need to be controlled and no textbook crossover will achieve that. The original design would have worked for the original drivers and baffle. The owner attempted to get suitable replacements as close as possible to the originals and had researched the options carefully. So this is actually a combination with more chance at working than a generic textbook crossover board.

Full project write up here >

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Efficiency will be about 88db/M/W.

Did you mean "sensitivity" perhaps? Related, but different to efficiency. Different units too.

10 minutes ago, Sub Sonic said:

Did you mean "sensitivity" perhaps? Related, but different to efficiency. Different units too.

Yes sensitivity or efficiency. You get my drift.

Gee, some serious chest beating going on here.

I am no expert but the op seems to be someone having a crack at knocking up a couple of budget speakers as a DIY. Not everyone has a $12K budget.

Good on him, best way to learn is through experience. Trial and error. Looks like he got the reply he needed in the first couple of posts or has been to terrified to comment!

1 hour ago, swervyn said:

Gee, some serious chest beating going on here.

I am no expert but the op seems to be someone having a crack at knocking up a couple of budget speakers as a DIY. Not everyone has a $12K budget.

Good on him, best way to learn is through experience. Trial and error. Looks like he got the reply he needed in the first couple of posts or has been to terrified to comment!

If the desired outcome is to chuck a bunch of components into a box without any proper testing and measurement, and either live with the speakers as-is or attempt tuning them by ear... be my guest!

There are better ways to build decent-sounding, properly designed budget speakers for minimal dollars though...

8 hours ago, pete_mac said:

If the desired outcome is to chuck a bunch of components into a box without any proper testing and measurement, and either live with the speakers as-is or attempt tuning them by ear... be my guest!

There are better ways to build decent-sounding, properly designed budget speakers for minimal dollars though...

I agree but I don't think that's the point. He already has all the drivers, has built the boxes and wanted to know if the crossover would work with the components he already has.

6 minutes ago, swervyn said:

I agree but I don't think that's the point. He already has all the drivers, has built the boxes and wanted to know if the crossover would work with the components he already has.

And there is absolutely no way that anyone can answer that question, unless they have the full specs (which includes the impedance curves) on all the drivers, along with the schematics for the crossovers. 

Designing a speaker system from scratch (which is what he attempting to do) is not easy, nor simple. It requires considerable knowledge, equipment and expertise to do so. Which is why building a properly designed kit is, far and away, the best method. 

I will say again: It will work. It will not work well. 

I'd like to think the speakers are finished by this and he is enjoying them for what they are. 

3 hours ago, swervyn said:

It all comes back to how we define 'work' in this context.

If mismatched driver output and peaks and troughs in the response curve are both included in the definition of 'work', then sure, she'll work alright! ;)