Sign in to follow this  
Setiawan

Restoring Luxman plinth

Hi guys, there's a Luxman PD-264 I might be buying. It looks good except for some peeling on the plinth's vinyl veneer (see attachments).

I was hoping that I would simply be able to re-glue it on, but it looks like even the 'unpeeled' parts don't line up with the edge of the plinth perfectly (the edge that meets the top plate). 

Does anybody have any idea how difficult it would be to re-align and glue down this veneer? Also, I was thinking of maybe having a new plinth made and installed, but I can't find anyone online who has a Luxman with a different plinth. Would anyone here be able to tell me what such a process would involve?

Thanks!

20170901_094703.jpg

20170901_094718.jpg

20170901_095800.jpg

Its vinyl that's lifting and impossible to repair to a reasonable standard.  I'd be inclined to cut the chipboard fascia off and replace it with solid timber and polish it.  

I wouldn't go to too much effort with the PD264 as imo it wasn't a great turntable. If the plinth can be removed without to much effort I would remove the old vinyl , sand the plinth to a clean finish and recover it in something like gloss black vinyl wrap (Ebay and not expensive).

I had a PD300 which I can highly recommend but they are as rare as hens teeth.

if it was me i'd made a new plinth for it. thrown the old one away

A repair is possible but the vinyl has some shrinkage so will never be as good as new.

The first thing I would try is warming the vinyl up with a hot air gun or hair dryer .Not too hot or the vinyl will shrivel up.

Then with a warm iron try and flatten it back into shape ,use some white paper so you are not rubbing directly onto the vinyl.

If there are any small gaps you can touch them up with a brown felt tip pen.

I had a similar issue with one of my Luxman TT ,but it was one of the back corners ,so not as noticeable.

If this is not possible the next option would be to remove all the vinyl with the aide of a heat gun or hair dryer and then recover the plinth with pre glued, iron on Timber veneer.

This will be a much better finish than the original and a lot easier than making a new plinth. That IMO would only really be justifiable if this one was damaged or you really thought you would enjoy making one as a project.

The cost of paying someone else to make a new plinth would be hard to justify for this TT 

Having said that, I like this style of Luxman, having owned and restored two similar myself. They may not be Great TT but IMO they are very good, have a bit of a following and go for a reasonable price. 

The big slab of aluminum, used for the platter, looks really nice polished up.

This was my PD 288

LUX 288 1.JPG

Edited by EV Cali

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Unsound
      Item: Linn Sondek LP12, black plinth (incl. cross member) - completely flat - part of reconstructed Linn - see other listings for Mose Hercules (near new), top plate (original), Majik, Near new armband  original smoked lid, 
      Price: $250, if sold with near new motor (already fitted and adjusted) and Top Plate (re-tensioned), $450; plus PayPal and shipping
      Item Condition: Used, plinth good condition, few nicks and scratches - tried to show in photos.
      Reason for selling: Currently being Upgraded Linn by Peter Swain of Cymbiosis - Chris Harbin Woodsong Plinth, Radikal, Krystal, Kore, Trampolin, etc.

Please see my other listings for: Linn LP12 Black Plinth, Linn Original Smoked Lid, with Hinges, Ortofon 2m Black cartridge, Linn Majik Sub-Chassis, Linn Top Plate, near new Linn Motor, Mose Hercules LP12 power supply.
      Tiger Paw Khan top Plate and Tranquility Base
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Preference given to buyer for the lot!

Pictures:

• By SGR Audio
      Item: Luxman 5L15 integrated amp and 5C50 pre-amp
      Price: $799
      Item Condition: Excellent condition considering it's age
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: A somewhat rare piece from the 1970's, especially here in Australia. Everything is still in working order without any damage or markings.
      Pictures:

• Guest CCallil
      By Guest CCallil
      Hi all,
      Just looking for a few opinions with the following.

I've recently purchased a Luxman PD-288 + Grace F8 Cartridge for a steal, and I'm looking to make some upgrades (changing stock arm and/or cartridge that came with it). 
      The Grace F-8 was from one owner so I have no idea how much it been used, but everything is mostly in mint condition.

At this stage I'm thinking of sending the Grace F-8 to the Garrott Brothers (local here in Victoria) and getting it retipped/upgraded to their advice. But I'm welcome to the idea I may need a different/better cart, if this isn't worth the investment. 
      But if I do go with the upgraded Grace F-8, I'm thinking of mounting a SME 3009 tonearm (improved lightweight version, as this is a high compliance cartridge).

Any thought on those decisions? Anyone have a similar setup? 

For reference, my current setup is:
      TT: Luxman PD-288 + Grace F8
      Amplifier: NAD 300
      Speakers: JBL Jubal L65

Kind Regards.
      - Chris

• By tandaman
      Hi All,

I am looking to restore my Thorens TD150, so I'm after:

1. used original plinth in excellent to mint condition or brand new built to spec
      2.used original dust cover in excellent to mint condition or brand new built to spec
      3. SME 3009 arm board

Can pick up in NSW, and happy to pay for postage as well.
      Thanks in advance,
      Tan

• By shaky
      Hi all,
      I was recently the lucky recipient of a freebie Silcron turntable with a Sound ST14 arm and been thinking, just for sh1ts and giggles, I might try and fire it up and see how it goes. It needs a few things, a belt and a Din- RCA cable, but have sourced a headshell so far. I know it's no world beater in turntable circles but just a bit of fun. In the meantime I'm thinking of building a new 'plinth' for want of a better term, something a bit different to the oversized box it is currently in:

Now the tricky part, I was put in my garage looking at all my junk for some plinth inspiration and spied some 90mm HDPE rod. Now I am thinking of cutting it up in appropriate lengths and using under the black 'T' section. Would this work as a plinth material at all or am I too far removed from reality? I guess , and only using the visual clues, similar to Kuzma Stabi style. Would be fairly easy to knock up, and something different. Or should I just stick with tries and true materials? And design?