Your music 'test' records.

G'day all, apart from 'proper' test records I wonder if people have preferred music test records for general system evaluations etc?  I certainly do and they are not new releases per se. One of my The Beatles 1967-1970 albums and my Dave Brubeck's Greatest Hits are my favourites for these applications. 

Particularly the Dave Brubeck material although much of it dates from the late 1950's, is stunningly well recorded!  What do others use?  Regards, Felix. 

Roxy Music's "Avalon" SACD

Papa Doo Run Run "California Project" Telarc CD

Dave Brubeck "Take Five" SACD

Police "Regatta De Blanc" SHM SACD

Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" Telarc SACD

Elton John "Honky Chateau" SACD

Elvis Costello "Armed Forces" CD

Nirvana "Unplugged" CD

• Like 1

Mine would be: 'The Nightfly' Donald Fagen (German 1st pressing), 'Brother Where You Bound' Supertramp (Oz 1st pressing), 'Nightclubbing' Grace Jones (Back to Black- 2009 EU pressing), 'The Big Heat' Stan Ridgeway (Oz 1st pressing), 'Dregs of the Earth' Dixie Dregs (US 1st pressing), 'Holy Cow' Martini Ranch (German 1st pressing), '90125' Yes (German 1st pressing), 'Thriller' Michael Jackson (Dutch 1st pressing).....that I can think of at the moment.:)

40 minutes ago, Lance B said:

Roxy Music's "Avalon" SACD

Papa Doo Run Run "California Project" Telarc CD

Dave Brubeck "Take Five" SACD

Police "Regatta De Blanc" SHM SACD

Mussorgsky "Pictures at an Exhibition" Telarc SACD

Elton John "Honky Chateau" SACD

Elvis Costello "Armed Forces" CD

Nirvana "Unplugged" CD

@Lance B Have you noticed what thread this is?:P ......Records?

Every time I fit a new cartridge the first record I play is Alan Parson's Project's Ammonia Avenue. The first track, Prime Time opens with hi-hats that if everything is set up properly sound crisp and bright, if something is amiss then they are splashy and it's an excellent sign of perfect or imperfect alignment . A guitar then plays a few notes, the last of which has a gorgeous sustain that appears to fade down a black hole centre stage, if it doesn't disappear in this way then it's a sign too that the tiniest adjustment might need to be made. Then it just becomes a good song that I can sing along with and bob my head.

A 'test' record should be one that does exactly that, tests the way you've set up your system and shows you elements you might not have right and can correct. So many people in threads like this list good sounding records as 'tests' when they aren't. In reality a really good sounding record is unlikely to be of any help as a test as it's doubtful it will sound rubbish.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Every time I fit a new cartridge the first record I play is Alan Parson's Project's Ammonia Avenue. The first track, Prime Time opens with hi-hats that if everything is set up properly sound crisp and bright, if something is amiss then they are splashy and it's an excellent sign of perfect or imperfect alignment . A guitar then plays a few notes, the last of which has a gorgeous sustain that appears to fade down a black hole centre stage, if it doesn't disappear in this way then it's a sign too that the tiniest adjustment might need to be made. Then it just becomes a good song that I can sing along with and bob my head.

A 'test' record should be one that does exactly that, tests the way you've set up your system and shows you elements you might not have right and can correct. So many people in threads like this list good sounding records as 'tests' when they aren't. In reality a really good sounding record is unlikely to be of any help as a test as it's doubtful it will sound rubbish.

......or they use their favourite great sounding LP's because they know what they're supposed to sound like.....a la 'Prime Time', a 'personal' test.:)  Great album btw, 'Ammonia Avenue',........I have nearly all of APP on vinyl, all well recorded, produced and engineered (by Mr Parsons). :thumb:

17 hours ago, Hergest said:

I have many APP records including Ammonia so I'll be giving it a spin this arvo and be listening for what you described. :D

We have all progressed through system upgrades and with each change in the system albums will sound different.

I have used a different tack and will pull out albums that in the past sounded pretty average or even poor and give them a spin and often been surprised that they now sound a whole lot better.

On 2 September 2017 at 5:11 PM, Hergest said:

Every time I fit a new cartridge the first record I play is Alan Parson's Project's Ammonia Avenue. The first track, Prime Time opens with hi-hats that if everything is set up properly sound crisp and bright, if something is amiss then they are splashy and it's an excellent sign of perfect or imperfect alignment .

OK I played my copy of Ammonia Avenue and mine don't sound like hi-hats, more like a splat. If you had not said to listen for the hi-hats I would not know what this noise was supposed to be.

@Hergest What do you suggest I check?

On 9/2/2017 at 5:11 PM, Hergest said:

So many people in threads like this list good sounding records as 'tests' when they aren't. In reality a really good sounding record is unlikely to be of any help as a test as it's doubtful it will sound rubbish.

On the surface, I could agree with you, H ... but when I think about your statement a bit more deeply, I'm afraid I have to disagree.  IMO a good sounding record can certainly contain sections which contain a sound - or sounds - which either sounds great ... or is at fault.

For instance, the opening track to Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" has some Jeff Beck riffs ... if you hear these cleanly then your overhang is set right - and probably your bias.  The slightest thing wrong with your overhang and you will hear some fuzziness on those riffs.

Of course, you may may say "AtD" doesn't qualify as a "really good sounding record"!  :winky:

Andy

On 9/2/2017 at 5:11 PM, Hergest said:

Every time I fit a new cartridge the first record I play is Alan Parson's Project's Ammonia Avenue. The first track, Prime Time opens with hi-hats that if everything is set up properly sound crisp and bright, if something is amiss then they are splashy and it's an excellent sign of perfect or imperfect alignment.

I did the Ammonia  Avenue "Prime Time" test and it seems my 'aligned by my eye' Level II RC is spot on.......high hats are crisp and bright (but not too bright).:thumb: I haven't played this LP for awhile......really enjoying it right now.:P

Edited by stevoz

6 hours ago, andyr said:

On the surface, I could agree with you, H ... but when I think about your statement a bit more deeply, I'm afraid I have to disagree.  IMO a good sounding record can certainly contain sections which contain a sound - or sounds - which either sounds great ... or is at fault.

For instance, the opening track to Roger Waters' "Amused to Death" has some Jeff Beck riffs ... if you hear these cleanly then your overhang is set right - and probably your bias.  The slightest thing wrong with your overhang and you will hear some fuzziness on those riffs.

Of course, you may may say "AtD" doesn't qualify as a "really good sounding record"!  :winky:

Andy

I don't disagree at all with you here but I was posting more along the line of the fact that people tend to post about excellent sounding records as a 'test' when in reality they don't test anything as they will sound good on any system. Within a record of course there will always be things that might show up certain things such as dodgy alignment, worn cartridge etc.

Amused To Death is probably one of the best quality recordings I've got but as I've posted many times before it's such a shame it's a turgid load of old cobblers and I've never managed after my first play of it many years ago to get through the whole album of Water's most horrible work.

7 hours ago, rockpig said:

OK I played my copy of Ammonia Avenue and mine don't sound like hi-hats, more like a splat. If you had not said to listen for the hi-hats I would not know what this noise was supposed to be.

Without being there I'm afraid I wouldn't really know. The splashiness is indeed a good test so if the stylus is in perfect condition then alignment might need tiny changes. It could be a touch of wear on the record too which might be the case if other records you play show no signs of anything amiss.

What cartridge? A conical stylus might not be able to play the hi-hats as cleanly as a perfectly set up fine line type.

3 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I don't disagree at all with you here but I was posting more along the line of the fact that people tend to post about excellent sounding records as a 'test' when in reality they don't test anything as they will sound good on any system.

Yes, now I see where you were coming from, H ... I agree with you.  :thumb:

3 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Amused To Death is probably one of the best quality recordings I've got but as I've posted many times before it's such a shame it's a turgid load of old cobblers and I've never managed after my first play of it many years ago to get through the whole album of Water's most horrible work.

Haha - each to their own.  :D  I don't often play it right through (as I don't particularly like some tracks) - instead, I select the tracks I do like.  But it's interesting to read the following article if you are listening to the complete album:

www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/waters.htm

Perhaps you should get hold of it - and settle down for an hour and a half!  :)

As I do like half the tracks, I wouldn't call it Waters' "most horrible work" - that, to me would have to be 'Radio Kaos'.

Regards,

Andy

19 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Without being there I'm afraid I wouldn't really know. The splashiness is indeed a good test so if the stylus is in perfect condition then alignment might need tiny changes. It could be a touch of wear on the record too which might be the case if other records you play show no signs of anything amiss.

What cartridge? A conical stylus might not be able to play the hi-hats as cleanly as a perfectly set up fine line type.

Fair enough @Hergest I understand it can be tricky without seeing the set-up.

The record is in near new condition, only played about 4 times. (Music On Vinyl version)

Cartridge is Garrott Brothers Optim FGS Ruby a bit over a year old. http://garrottbrothers.com/optim-fgs-ruby

I set the cart up using a Dr. Feickert protractor.

Cannot recall if I used Baerwald, Lofgren or Stevenson.
Before installing the Garrott cart the turntable had an Ortofon set-up by the dealer and I just checked with the protractor which setting it matched (B,L or S) and used the same again for the Garrott.

Obviously with different tracking weight as per the Garrott specs 1.76g.

Garrott-Ruby.jpg

9 hours ago, rockpig said:

try the digital version and see if this is turntable related.

2 hours ago, andyr said:

As I do like half the tracks, I wouldn't call it Waters' "most horrible work" - that, to me would have to be 'Radio Kaos'.

Just goes to show. I really like KAOS, it's my favourite of his solo work.

On 9/2/2017 at 4:37 PM, stevoz said:

Mine would be: 'The Nightfly' Donald Fagen (German 1st pressing), 'Brother Where You Bound' Supertramp (Oz 1st pressing), 'Nightclubbing' Grace Jones (Back to Black- 2009 EU pressing), 'The Big Heat' Stan Ridgeway (Oz 1st pressing), 'Dregs of the Earth' Dixie Dregs (US 1st pressing), 'Holy Cow' Martini Ranch (German 1st pressing), '90125' Yes (German 1st pressing), 'Thriller' Michael Jackson (Dutch 1st pressing).....that I can think of at the moment.:)

@Lance B Have you noticed what thread this is?:P ......Records?

No, I didn't notice. I guess that's the worst thing about checking "new posts" without checking the forum type. However, I am of the generation that calls all recordings, "records". 

Edited by Lance B
  • Like 2