Gieseler Audio

GIESELER Groß DAC official release

11 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Sorry Bill, I explained myself poorly. Were you suggesting that upsampling to DSD sounded better than DxD? Is this a PCM vs PDM thing regards the DAC in question? All for upsampling with good filters to PCM; having a PCM-only DAC I was curious as to whether PDM/DSD sounded 'better'. 

HQPlayer does upsampling to DSD via supposedly pretty good sounding algorithms but requires some heavy CPU grunt which my machine does not have so I could not test it.

DXD upsampling sounded better.

Thanks

Bill

I have a question, now seems all discussion and comparison is concentrated on a particular player and upsampling on hi-res music, how about normal one?

I'm using squeeze box so no upsampling. I also only have 44.1k to 96k flac and DSD64, never have any higher DSDs. So for this situation, do you still see sonic differences between groß and directstream?

On 12/16/2017 at 9:00 AM, frankn said:

Cummmmmmmooooooon SA - there’s two of us so far! 

Three of us

8 hours ago, hotJ said:

I have a question, now seems all discussion and comparison is concentrated on a particular player and upsampling on hi-res music, how about normal one?I'm using squeeze box so no upsampling. I also only have 44.1k to 96k flac and DSD64, never have any higher DSDs. So for this situation, do you still see sonic differences between groß and directstream?

Yes  - without up-sampling the Grob still sounds better.  I think I explained that in my review but maybe it wasn't clear.  First we did it with Audirvana on an old mac - no up-sampling etc - just 44.1 - the Grob was clearly better.  However when we switched to HQPlayer and used its maximum up-sampling which with my puny machine was DXD, the difference was more marked.

I don't get this obsession with DSD.  I do not have the horsepower to upsample to it so I will leave it to others.

I have a friend with a squeezebox and when I get the SPDIF only version I can check how it sounds with that - but all these special requests will take a while to organise.

I MAY be getting a Macbook with the latest Audirvana and can check all this stuff out then - it does up-sampling to DSD etc.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Sponsor

Hi guys,

well I have finally made a start on the demo Gross DAC build so not far away now.

The tour will start in Melbourne as there was the most interest there.

It will be the three digital input version & with the default Amanero firmware so should work on Linux & Window based servers.

The only limitation will be a max rate of DSD 128 on Linux systems. Windows servers will be fine up to DSD 512.

I will start a new thread in the next few days where anyone interested can register. I will just need basic info like, phone no, address ect. I was thinking along the line where I ship it to the first participant who after a few days then ships or delivers it to next person in line.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

While I am not in a position to buy one of these units right now (got sacked on Tuesday - oops!),

I'd love if I could attend someone's place to have a quick listen to this DAC during the Melb. Tour.

I have spoken previously with Bill in Brissy and he loves his unit.

If anyone in Melb. is willing to have me along to their place for half an hour, that would be most appreciated.

Shoot me a pm.  Thanks, Red.

Hopefully at my place Red.:)

13 minutes ago, joz said:

Hopefully at my place Red.:)

At Chex Joz - cool!

Much appreciated.  Keep me in the loop so I don't miss it.  :thumb:

2 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

While I am not in a position to buy one of these units right now (got sacked on Tuesday - oops!),

I'd love if I could attend someone's place to have a quick listen to this DAC during the Melb. Tour.

I have spoken previously with Bill in Brissy and he loves his unit.

If anyone in Melb. is willing to have me along to their place for half an hour, that would be most appreciated.

Shoot me a pm.  Thanks, Red.

Damn. Nice way to see in the new year. All the best in getting a new job! 

Hi Guys

Went to do the comparison with the Direct Stream Redcloud and Clays DAC - bummer - couldn't get my computer with HQ Player working on either the DS or Grob - that's what was used in the original comparison so needed to use that.  When I got home got it working on my DS (it however does not have Redcloud - or even Huron) - the drivers were at fault - reinstalled them and on mine worked fine so that comparison will need to wait. 

Got Jriver working on the Grob - but for some reason had issues with Redcloud (it started getting dropouts) so need to really get my hopefully now working HQPlayer computer for the comparison - so that will need to wait a while.

I can say a couple of things - however the proper comparison needs to wait.

1.  The switched version of the Grob is not as good - the USB only version is noticeably better.   Get that if you don't really need SPDIF.  It will be used in the comparison with Redcloud.  I have my USB version on loan and used a switched version.

2.  When it didn't have dropouts Redcloud was definitely a step up from the previous version - however I did notice a slight whiteness or metallic sheen to my ears - but greater insight and detail.  Can't speak to how it stacks up to the Grob until the dropout issue is sorted out and I get my USB version back.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba