Gieseler Audio

GIESELER Groß DAC official release

Sponsor

Hi Guys,

well I’m steadily building these but it is still a slow process with me doing all the work.

I lost a little time tweaking the firmware a bit but it was well worthwhile. The  menu structure has been improved a bit & also the clicks/pops with mixed DSD/PCM playback now removed. I will thoroughly test it over the weekend & if bug free will send out upgraded chips to current owners. The firmware upgrade is dead simple - just a matter of replacing the plug in chip with the new one. I’m also trying to source better custom packaging. The demo unit for Victoria is still on but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I lost a little time tweaking the firmware a bit but it was well worthwhile. The  menu structure has been improved a bit & also the clicks/pops with mixed DSD/PCM playback now removed. I will thoroughly test it over the weekend & if bug free will send out upgraded chips to current owners. The firmware upgrade is dead simple - just a matter of replacing the plug in chip with the new one.

:sorry: , my doing. Could have put up with occasional click/pop switching between pcm & dsd, but skipping to next dsd track was not good & distracted the superb dsd playback. Yes, dsd is a step up. Bad news is have to open up wallet to get more! :lol:

I’m also trying to source better custom packaging. 

Hope you are not taking my unboxing comment in my review to heart! :ohmy::lol:

Those waiting will never forgive me if this further delays their units.

..but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

Looks like a busy weekend for you and Bill (with his whip!)  :na:

A box is a box ........... don't fret it ........ I don't think it is a heavy enough component that bubble wrap would not be sufficient packing ..... :):) ...... even Earle, whilst using a wooden crate to handle the weight, mainly uses yards of bubble wrap to pack even his largest amps.

18 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The demo unit for Victoria is still on but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

can i book the demo unit in melbourne as well? thanks

Edited by hotJ

4 minutes ago, hotJ said:

can i book the demo unit in melbourne as well? thanks

I'm hoping I can have it after you,  if that's possible?  

Love the look of the Groß DAC Clay.  It would be great to try it out at some point.

Out of interest, what influenced the decision to use output transformers?

Sponsor

I am still planning on sending one to Melbourne for demo purposes but I need to fill the current orders first.

It would certainly be good to see how it compares to the Mola Mola Makua.

Ouput transformers;

Actually there were several reasons but the first was sound quality. Ages ago and just on a gut feeling I ordered a pair of entry level Jensen’s line out transformers from Parts Express. I jerry rigged these up to a Klein II DAC & the result was a serious step up in sound quality. This was a big surprise as the Klein II has an excellent class A output stage & I really wasn’t expecting an improvement but there certainly was. Then after some research I discovered that the PS Audio Direct Stream & Linn Klimax both used line output transformers for the audio out. Now these are seriously good sounding units so that certainly helped confirm that line output transformers was a good way to go. Also the Direct Stream was actually using Jensen transformers.

I also wanted to a try a direct out approach from the DAC chip and a transformer is an ideal way to do this.

There were some hurdles on the way though as the transformer needs to be well matched to the DAC output & you also need a reasonable drive level. Fortunately the AK4497EQ chip has some special heavy load mode options that can be implemented from the registry. Anyway to cut a long story short I had some helpful suggestions from a AKM engineer & by experimenting with a range of Jensen transformers finally got a great result. I did need to move up to the top PC mount transformer to get two volts RMS out though & this bumped the cost up a bit.

The other bonus is by using a transformer output stage I can offer balanced or standard RCA out as well as full galvanic isolation if required.

Phew! A need another coffee after that explanation!

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Very interesting Clay. The PS Audio Directstream is certainly a good example of a great sounding DAC using output transformers.  I can’t wait to hear how your implementation sounds.

Sponsor

It certainly looks like a interesting device.

I will do some investigation.