Gieseler Audio

GIESELER Groß DAC official release

@Sime Oops! Looks like I misread one of your comments in the Qutest thread. 

Guest Sime

@Suopermanni I was going to buy one but a new pre-pro is next on the list.  

A new Grob owner.  It replaced a Cayin DAC (Valve/SS), and I also have an ARCAM-II DAC II, both quite good DACS, at least to my listening.  Very pleased with the Grob  ..  been running a couple of weeks now, great detail and I can hear little nuances in recordings I haven't heard before.  I listen to quite a range of material, from Tidal and FLACs I have rendered from my CD's.  Beautiful rendering of vocals, good separation and detail.

Clay was fantastic to deal with, great communication along the process.  Definitely great to support an Aussie builder of his technical capability.  Quality looking and sounding product.

Laptop->Grob->Ayon Auris->Bryston 4bsst->Dynaudio C2 Platniums

2018-03-24 12.40.07.jpg

For me the real magic started when I set JRIVER to up sample PCM to 2x Native DSD ;)

42 minutes ago, MattyW said:

For me the real magic started when I set JRIVER to up sample PCM to 2x Native DSD ;)

I love the Groß for its native DSD playback. However, found little, if no improvement when I compared some upsampled 44.1/16 PCM to DSD 128 files to the originals.

Currently, NAS connected directly (no router) to SMS-200. SMS-200 connected using ISO Regen to Groß. Using MPD server & MPDroid software player.

To upsample, will need to add a PC and a router (probably needs a LPS) to the audio chain.  This added complexity, plus lack of AQ  improvement has led me to not upsample.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I love the Groß for its native DSD playback. However, found little, if no improvement when I compared some upsampled 44.1/16 PCM to DSD 128 files to the originals.

Currently, NAS connected directly (no router) to SMS-200. SMS-200 connected using ISO Regen to Groß. Using MPD server & MPDroid software player.

To upsample, will need to add a PC and a router (probably needs a LPS) to the audio chain.  This added complexity, plus lack of AQ  improvement has led me to not upsample.

It's more with 192k sampled 32 bit float vinyl rips where I see improvement. I can't tell the difference from the original vinyl ;)

Course,  the file size is kind of ginormous. Eric Clapton Unplugged was about 5gb for both sides.

Edited by MattyW

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but does the GroB DAC take any power from the USB port to work?

Sponsor
Posted (edited)

No - the Amanero USB board is powered internally in the DAC from a dedicated ultra low noise  PSU.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Oh okay, that might explain why it's still running and sounding a bit better when I disabled USB power from certain usb ports out of my motherboard. Apparently doable on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7. 

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but thought I was overdue sharing my opinion on Clays Groß dac. 

I have the USB only version, my source is a  Sotm SMS200 Ultra.

At the moment I am running balanced xlr from dac to Accuphase E470 as a pre to a pair of ATC SCM100ASL loudspeakers.

I have compared the Groß to the Klein II, Chord 2qute and Accuphase Dac50 and the Groß has the edge over all of them imo.

Better bass control, improved clarity, extremely musical and a natural tone that is engaging and enjoyable to listen to for hours on end with all genres of music.

It plays all sample rates with ease without pops or glitches on Linux or windows systems.

I won’t hesitate in recommending anyone who is in the market for a great value Aussie made dac to try one out for yourself.

Big thanks Clay!

Hey guys, what filters out of the ones in the GroB Dac do you like? Mostly stuck with the Low Dispersion one.

7 hours ago, Suopermanni said:

Hey guys, what filters out of the ones in the GroB Dac do you like? Mostly stuck with the Low Dispersion one.

Previously low dispersion short delay, now using short delay, slow roll-off.

Looking to upgrade my DAC, and am very interested in trying out the GIESELER Groß DAC with intention to buy one if it is as good as everyone says. Anyone in Melbourne who would like to come over with their GIESELER Groß and have a listen in my system?

I have a Chord 2Qute DAC running through an Audiophilleo, off a modded Mac with a liner PS, and streaming via microRendu, Dynaudio speakers, OAD amps, Inakustik cabling, running off a PS Audio P3 power regenerator.

Amps are new on the scene and ready to take down all comers... I know, I've compared them to some very well known and serious gear. Hasn't been beaten yet...

I'm in Williamstown - 15 mins out of the city down Footscray Road

Wine / Freshly ground coffee / Beer / your choice of food will be provided ;)

Max

6 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Amps are new on the scene and ready to take down all comers... I know, I've compared them to some very well known and serious gear. Hasn't been beaten yet...

Max

Well I'll just slip my XA30.8 into my back pocket and wander over there this weekend.

3 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Great what tine should I expect you! ;)

Happy to visit you if you're interested. Thats the kind of gear I want to compare to.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Great what tine should I expect you! ;)

Happy to visit you if you're interested. Thats the kind of gear I want to compare to.

The XA30.8 doesn't travel well.  I can't frikken lift it off the desk where I placed it when I first got it for fear of further rupturing my hernia. Seriously.

Edited by scumbag

44 minutes ago, scumbag said:

The XA30.8 doesn't travel well.  I can't frikken lift it off the desk where I placed it when I first got it for fear of further rupturing my hernia. Seriously.

Component travels fine...this is an operator issue :) :)

Posted (edited)

I think he wants to audition a Groß...

Sorry mate, I’m a bit far away to drop round with mine ?

Edited by Conch