GIESELER Groß DAC official release

Gieseler Audio

2 hours ago, bhobba said:

I understand the dilemma here - but my experience with the USB only version is it is the only way to really hear what it will do.  For example while still better than the PS Audio DS with Audirvana on an old mac-book. it really came alive, and the difference quite pronounced with HQPlayer which, of course requires USB.

I think it's best left up to Clay - my vote is of course the USB only version.

Thanks

Bill

But that may just kill off the majority of the market.

At this point in time all I could use is one with coax, but I will gladly live with more inputs than just that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joz said:

But that may just kill off the majority of the market.

At this point in time all I could use is one with coax, but I will gladly live with more inputs than just that.

As I said this is a hard one.

I am getting both one with only a SPDIF and already have a USB one.

Now I wont be using mine straight away so they are available to be sent around.

How does this sound - those that have put up their hand to coordinate this decide on what they want, knowing the people in their area.   It can be USB only, SPDIF only or with a switch.

I honestly believe a switch does make a difference with this DAC.  Of course those that put up their hand can return it, Clay checks its in perfect working order, and get a different one.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Getting close.

I just have a Konverter plus one Groß DAC to go & then I'm on to it.

It will probably be the USB only version as I feel it sounds a bit better.

The only tough decision is which Amanero firmware to  flash the USB board with.

Windows or Linux version?

While I’m not the only Victorian interested in hearing this DAC, my system is USB/Linux based.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

While I’m not the only Victorian interested in hearing this DAC, my system is USB/Linux based.

I have tried the Grob with my Antipodes music server (Linux ) and it worked perfectly.  Also tried the Singxer USB converter with no problems. 

1 hour ago, Stereophilus said:

Its a matter of what the others want.   Like I said mine are available for loan so if you want just the USB one I think it can be arranged - in fact I think whatever one you want to hear can be arranged - but choose wisely please - I don't think Clay has the resources to send all three to everyone.

The reason I got two different DAC's is, Clay has stated the switch does make a slight difference, but guys like Rawl99 who also builds DAC's never builds his with switches because he really does believe the difference is worth it.

My system is in a state of flux right now.  For listening in my bedroom I use the coax out of an Oppo and mostly listen to HT stuff.  In my little lounge area I have my computer and will set up a USB system there - initially with some computer speakers - but later probably something a lot better and that will be my critical listening system.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

OK it looks like the Melbourne demo unit needs to be the standard three input unit which has coax, Toslink & USB inputs.

That should cover most setups.

Bill has requested a S/PDIF only version & another customer is interested in that too.

I'm just wondering how much interest there would be in that version.

To do it properly I would need a different rear panel & a new PCB like I did with the USB only version.

To do this is quite an outlay in time & money so please let me know if there is much interest in this.

To date of the Groß DAC's sold  the split is.

7  x  USB only

5  x  three input 

1  X  S/PDIF 

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bhobba said:

Its a matter of what the others want.   Like I said mine are available for loan so if you want just the USB one I think it can be arranged - in fact I think whatever one you want to hear can be arranged - but choose wisely please - I don't think Clay has the resources to send all three to everyone.

Of course.  The point of my post was to indicate what my system would need if only 1 DAC makes it to VIC for demo purposes.  My involvement in demo-ing is optional, especially if others require different specifications.  If there is an option to trial a unit independently that would also work, but I don’t want to put any strain on Clay’s resources.

7 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

OK it looks like the Melbourne demo unit needs to be the standard three input unit which has coax, Toslink & USB inputs.

That should cover most setups.

Bill has requested a S/PDIF only version & another customer is interested in that too.

I'm just wondering how much interest there would be in that version.

To do it properly I would need a different rear panel & a new PCB like I did with the USB only version.

To do this is quite an outlay in time & money so please let me know if there is much interest in this.

To date of the Groß DAC's sold  the split is.

7  x  USB only

5  x  three input 

1  X  S/PDIF 

Clay,

why dont you have a universal cabinet pcb built so it takes all three inputs.  All you need to do is than access the slots to customised that thAt client.   

What I mean is it's like building a PC where there are many slots at the rear to cater for the options.  Otherwise just go all 3 options and be done with as this will attract a wider audience.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in trying this at some point when available but I'm in Kingaroy 4610, so would be an individual testing unless @Cafad is keen too.

I don't mind what version I get I can make either input work.

Also regarding the whole name plate thing, Clay, you decide if you want the model on the front or the back it's your creation! You'd probably win more aesthetics arguments by offering the choice of silver/black than moving the name around if you ask me. But if it sounds good i'm happy :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

I'd be interested in trying this at some point when available but I'm in Kingaroy 4610, so would be an individual testing unless @Cafad is keen too.

You do know that you don't have to ask, right? 

I'm all for convenient, in home trials.  Count me in!

Edited by Cafad

2 hours ago, Cafad said:

You do know that you don't have to ask, right? I'm all for convenient, in home trials.  Count me in!

I am surprised Mike didn't demo it to you when you went down Saturday - but likely had other things that needed doing, such as finishing my Magnesium's - hint hint Mike :na::na::na::na:

You can borrow mine of course, but it is needed for a while here so it can be checked against the DS and it's new update - Redcloud.  

After that, I know its a bugger of a drive from where you live, but you can come down and borrow it.   I also own a DSJ, but that's being repaired under warranty right now and you might like  to wait until its repaired.   You can then compare both.   You can then also check out MQA via its built in bridge. Its entirely up to you.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

The Gross was in use but with different amp and pre and a different source, and room and of course with recently modded speakers, so I can't really say that I "heard" the DAC.

That's a very generous offer Bill, thank you for that.  I don't plan on heading back down to Brissy for a while though, probably after new years, so I'll fire you off a PM at a later date to see if it suits you then.  

1 hour ago, bhobba said:

You can borrow mine of course, but it is needed for a while here so it can be checked against the DS and it's new update - Redcloud.  

Good to hear you will be doing the compare and looking forward to your additional review. 

Been following your posts on the Redcloud thread. The chip used on the Groß is the AK4497EQ. From what I have read elsewhere, the chip has a 1 bit DSD bypass which, when used with HQPlayer gives it the good sound.  Not sure how to switch it on/off (Clay?), but worth adding this to your comparison.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The chip used on the Groß is the AK4497EQ. From what I have read elsewhere, the chip has a 1 bit DSD bypass which, when used with HQPlayer gives it the good sound. 

I upsample to DXD - not DSD.   The computer I use doesn't have the grunt for DSD up-sampling.  This test - except for the DXD up-sampling is a test of how both players do PCM.  Personally not a big fan of DSD - not that it cant sound good - it can - its just so damn inefficient in bit usage.

I have put many DSD files through the following process.  Converted it to DXD, ran it through my entropy encoder to see how far it really goes to.  88.2 k virtually always covers it.   Down-sample it to that and rerun it through the entropy encoder - its much much smaller without loss of anything except noise.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Just now, bhobba said:

I upsample to DXD - not DSD.   The computer I use doesn't have the grunt for DSD up-sampling.  This test - except for the DXD up-sampling is a test of how both players do PCM.  Personally not a big fan of DSD - not that it cant sound good - it can - its just so damn inefficient in bit usage.

Thanks

Bill

Ok, scrap the idea of DSD bypass :oops:

Would look at HQPlayer & Roon next year.

3 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Ok, scrap the idea of DSD bypass :oops:

Would look at HQPlayer & Roon next year.

Make sure you have significant grunt if you want to do DSD.  Its supposed to sound good though - Miska swears by it.  Clay may even be able to build a special version of the Grob just for that

Thanks

Bill

1 hour ago, Cafad said:

That's a very generous offer Bill, thank you for that.  I don't plan on heading back down to Brissy for a while though, probably after new years, so I'll fire you off a PM at a later date to see if it suits you then.  

Highly doubtful it cant be arranged - but of course contact me and/or Mike when the time comes.

Thanks

Bill

I'll have to pick up my speakers shortly after christmas so that could be a good opportunity to bring them up :)

I'd be curious to hear the DSJ, but i'm sincerely hoping my Meridian trumps it for redbook CD unless I can get my hands on a decent collection of hi-res tunes. The only music on the mac is ripped from CD anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Who ?

Google is your friend  - do a search on Miska HQPlayer.

Its the best sounding player I have yet heard largely because he really understands up-sampling etc.

Requires a lot of horsepower though.   Going from 88.2 to DXD I store most of my files in is nothing - beyond that and you need considerable grunt - something like an I7 4 core.

Thanks

Bill