GIESELER Groß DAC official release

Gieseler Audio

Hi guys,

it would be very helpful and much appreciated if someone can compare the Gieseler Groß DAC to one of the following DACs:

Crane Song Solaris

Holo Audio Spring 

Metrum Pavane 

PS Audio Directstream (not Junior)

Schiit Yggdrasil

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by matth
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

sorry but there is a slight delay in production.

Jensen had to actually make me a batch of transformers which only shipped today so I won't get those untill next week.

I'm heading away this Saturday but will be back on the 22nd so I will get back into production then. All other parts are now in stock including the USB only boards so there should be no more hold ups. Fortunately I did manage to get one finished so illbarto should receive his in the next few days.

RE update on the Singxer F1. Unfortunately it turns out this is not totally pin compatible with the Amanero so it's not going to work in the Groß DAC. It would be possible with a board redesign & quite a bit of firmware re-codeing but I don't have any plans for that at this stage. I did a sound comparison of the standard Amanero/USB input vs the Singxer F1 runing externally & then into the coax input. IMO the Amanero sounded better but this was to be expected as it had the advantage of a ultra low noise power source & only a single USB>I2S conversion. The Singxer was runing via the dirty pc power source plus multiple conversion process before reaching the DAC. eg. USB>I2S>S/PDIF>I2S 

I do have a new Singxer F1 coming from Shenzhen Audio witch  is now of no use to me so if someone wants one at a good price PM me.

Update - Eight units now sold!

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

The only other DAC I've had through my current speakers is a Klein 2 and it's not even close. Vast improvement in every audible aspect.  Most noticeble for me was tightening up of the bass which I didn't even realise was an issue, and immense improvement in the soundstage, but to be honest I haven't really thought about it too much.  I had a couple of friends over for a listen on the weekend and I haven't really heard much other than strange and unfamiliar electronica since it arrived!

• Like 5

Clay, welcome back from your holidays and I hope you enjoyed it.

Has Bill come around with his whips so that he can help you crank up production?

He was referring to hurrying up with the PSU but I am sure he can do double duty for the Groß. And perhaps you can hear the chant of impatient Groß customers assault on Clay's Castle (replace Grond with Groß!)  :P:lol::lol:

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

yes I’m now back at work & hard at steady Groß DAC & PSU production.

I now have the parts situation under control so please be patient & all orders will be filled in the next few weeks.

Bill - that whip stuff is making me nervous!

Snoopy8 your unit is almost finished - I will be testing the board this morning. 

It will be very interesting to see how the sound of the USB only version compares with the normal three input version.

PS love the LOTR clip.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Snoopy8 your unit is almost finished - I will be testing the board this morning. 

It will be very interesting to see how the sound of the USB only version compares with the normal three input version.

Looking forward to getting it. And will do a detailed review.

12 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

PS love the LOTR clip.

image.png.341d22c59235325215f025c6ef04dcc3.png

Is that you Clay, in the video, looking out of the parapet ?  :P:lol:

The magician who is about to deliver the Groß  magic!!!

• Like 2

Hi Joe,

no I have not forgotten about the demo unit for you guys.

The slight hold up is I have now sold ten  so quite a lot of work ahead of me.

I have brought Snoopy8’s home for a quick listen in my system.

OMG it really does sound amazing. I haven’t herd the Groß DAC in my system for a few weeks & had forgotten how good it sounds. At work I compared the USB only version to the three input version & did not notice much difference but on my home system the USB only is a little better.

Hi Cameron - glad you approve - yours should not be too far away.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I have brought Snoopy8’s home for a quick listen in my system.

OMG it really does sound amazing. I haven’t herd the Groß DAC in my system for a few weeks & had forgotten how good it sounds. At work I compared the USB only version to the three input version & did not notice much difference but on my home system the USB only is a little better.

Looks like I am going to get a used unit !!  :P:P:lol:  Or maybe it gets better with burn-in!  :)

On 9/27/2017 at 5:14 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

I'm sure Snoopy8 won't mind - a few photos of his USB only version which I'm about to ship.

Hopefully mine, that is USB only as well, is on its way soon to.

And as soon as its in my hot little hands the first comparison is the Direct Stream - both normal and Junior.

Added Later

Sorry guys.  That should have been USB only not SPDIF only - have changed it.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

Hi Guys,

well I’m steadily building these but it is still a slow process with me doing all the work.

I lost a little time tweaking the firmware a bit but it was well worthwhile. The  menu structure has been improved a bit & also the clicks/pops with mixed DSD/PCM playback now removed. I will thoroughly test it over the weekend & if bug free will send out upgraded chips to current owners. The firmware upgrade is dead simple - just a matter of replacing the plug in chip with the new one. I’m also trying to source better custom packaging. The demo unit for Victoria is still on but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I lost a little time tweaking the firmware a bit but it was well worthwhile. The  menu structure has been improved a bit & also the clicks/pops with mixed DSD/PCM playback now removed. I will thoroughly test it over the weekend & if bug free will send out upgraded chips to current owners. The firmware upgrade is dead simple - just a matter of replacing the plug in chip with the new one.

:sorry: , my doing. Could have put up with occasional click/pop switching between pcm & dsd, but skipping to next dsd track was not good & distracted the superb dsd playback. Yes, dsd is a step up. Bad news is have to open up wallet to get more! :lol:

I’m also trying to source better custom packaging. 

Hope you are not taking my unboxing comment in my review to heart! :ohmy::lol:

Those waiting will never forgive me if this further delays their units.

..but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

Looks like a busy weekend for you and Bill (with his whip!)  :na:

• Like 1

A box is a box ........... don't fret it ........ I don't think it is a heavy enough component that bubble wrap would not be sufficient packing ..... :):) ...... even Earle, whilst using a wooden crate to handle the weight, mainly uses yards of bubble wrap to pack even his largest amps.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

The demo unit for Victoria is still on but I have to complete current orders first - now twelve - four finished & eight to go. As they say - no rest for the wicked!

can i book the demo unit in melbourne as well? thanks

Edited by hotJ