GIESELER Groß DAC official release

Gieseler Audio

Suggest firmware option.  For my setup to powered speakers, need bypass disabled.  Having a warning in manual is not good enough.  I can see the possibility of someone sitting on the remote and accidentally enabling bypass.  :oops::ohmy::sorry::angry2::excl::blush::angry:

shot.jpg

Edited by Snoopy8
Added shotdown...
  • Like 2

Hey Clay,

Although when (not if) I get one I plan to run through a pre, however if I wanted to  change in the future, or if someone accidentally hit the remote, or if I ever sold it on and the person didn't read the manual, it's bye bye speakers.

I think it's just to much of a risk for users and for you in the long run, to leave the bypass in place. You don't ever want your DAC to become infamously known as the "speaker killer"!!! ;-)

I'd suggest if people want the bypass in place they should ask for it specifically, but even then the risks remain. With that in mind, and virtually no detectable difference in sound (by you at least), I just don't think the risk justifies the return.

Can't wait to hear it!

Cheers,

Steve :-)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

Hey Clay,

You don't ever want your DAC to become infamously known as the "speaker killer"!!! ;-

With that in mind, and virtually no detectable difference in sound (by you at least), I just don't think the risk justifies the return.

What's German for speaker killer?  :P:D

I think it is too late. Clay has let the genie out! Now everyone will want the option just in case it is better...

• Like 1

Just now, Rob181 said:

Why limit the potential of a DAC because of a minority of people's stupidity...

Because the potential is there for not only stupid folk, but unfortunate ones as well, to suffer the consequences. If you had one and your child/grandchild/niece accidentally hit the remote buttons and blew your rig, would you still say the marginal gain was worth it?

Just my2c :-)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

I'd suggest if people want the bypass in place they should ask for it specifically, but even then the risks remain. With that in mind, and virtually no detectable difference in sound (by you at least), I just don't think the risk justifies the return.

Same here.

I will be giving Clay on the computer I will be lending him some DSD and the same DSD entropy encoded to PCM.  I find HqPlayer makes a huge difference - more than DSD - but we will see.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

Because the potential is there for not only stupid folk, but unfortunate ones as well, to suffer the consequences. If you had one and your child/grandchild/niece accidentally hit the remote buttons and blew your rig, would you still say the marginal gain was worth it?

Just my2c :-)

And here is your change...

Raised 3 beautiful children...

They were all taught how to use my system/s...

Why should 90% have less because 10% DGAF...

Nothing should be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator...

• Like 1

Not sure if possible or wanted, my DAC when started is partially muted and when volume is increased to 100% then the pre is bypassed. It is a good function but a little annoying when not using it as a pre. It does work great as a fail safe though.

2 hours ago, Wiffle said:

Hey Clay,

Although when (not if) I get one I plan to run through a pre, however if I wanted to  change in the future, or if someone accidentally hit the remote, or if I ever sold it on and the person didn't read the manual, it's bye bye speakers.

I think it's just to much of a risk for users and for you in the long run, to leave the bypass in place. You don't ever want your DAC to become infamously known as the "speaker killer"!!! ;-)

Can't wait to hear it!

Cheers,

Steve :-)

I tend agree.  Have the option available on request to those who want it and acknowledge the risk.

As for the faceplate... Gieseler on the front, Groß on the back imo.

Well I go away for a few weeks without Internet access and all this happens !!

well done Clay it looks fantastic, when do you sleep ?

would love to compare it to my Konverta pre when I get back, please put me on the list for a trial, Clay if you need a base for Perth happy to be involved

well done 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the huge amount of input.

It really helps & brings to my attention a different approach that I may have missed.

Bypass

I think Wiffle's view is the safest option as not everyone reads the manual & DAC's change hands. 

Imagine this scenario. Someone has brought a Groß DAC s/h & is running in direct into a power amp cos it sounds so good that way.  lost or not read the manual & playing a DSD track.

After scrolling thru the menu, tries a few different filters, not much change, bypass - let's try this - goodby speakers.

The AMR-DP777 DAC/pre had a nice way of going into bypass mode that Krebetman also suggested.

When you reached 100% on the volume display it flipped over to bypass & displayed that.

I quite like that concept so I will talk to my firmware guy & see if that is possible.

Also I might drop the Groß DAC into a high end system using a Aesthetix preamp (BAM) & do some critical bypass on, off 

tests again & see if we notice a difference.

Front panel

The majority vote seems to be just Gieseler but I know of two buyers who would like to see the model number as well.

It is a bit of a pain production wise but I will try & offer either option to buyers when purchasing.

OK - it's time for me to start chasing up all the exotic parts I need so everyone gets their unit on time.

Unfortunately I'm heading off to Tassi on the 16th of September for a weeks holiday which is bad timing but it was planned months ago.

Hopefully I will be able to get a few orders filled before I leave & the balance shortly after I get back.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3

Hi Clay,

Not sure what the size of your customer base is like in Canberra, but I would be happy to coordinate a sample here.  If it's not viable on its own then maybe it could be tacked onto the end of the Sydney trial.  Many thanks.

Andrew

• Like 2

How many DAC's do you know that do not have the model name on the front plate...

You are asking a man to forfeit his pride & joy...this is his "family"...

How many children do you have without a first name...

Imagine a world with..."hey boy...come here"...

Who would want a black box made by some old Gieseler...

Better start thinking of resale value here...

Besides...get a Grob full of this...has marketing "legs"...:cool:

Edited by Rob181
  • Like 3

Just a quick update.

My Amanero boards & Jensen transformers orders have now shipped. ETA is probably early next week.

The arcylic sheets have arrived & the new cnc programming done for no model number on the front or model on the front but smaller font which is same/similar to GIESELER font.

The USB only version PCB's have now shipped.

The Singxer F1 USB board for Bills units is now on its way. Coming from China tho so I'm not sure how long that will take.

DSD volume bypass option can now be removed so I will check customers preference which each order.

I will try to fill a few orders before I go away (one week starting sep 16th) but I have a feeling it will be cutting it fine.

A bit more info on the USB only version.

It is a slightly quicker build with no S/PDIF parts required so the cost will be $50 less than the standard version.

As it was a new board I have made some small changes around the output section. The XLR/RCA switch is gone so you just plug into the 

output you want but not both at the same time. Doing this removed the relays in the output switching. They were high quality signal types so minimal effect on sound quality but I feel I feel it works just as well without the switch. 

The USB only version has no I2S switching relays so there may be a slight sonic improvement. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I will try to fill a few orders before I go away (one week starting sep 16th) but I have a feeling it will be cutting it fine.

It is a slightly quicker build with no S/PDIF parts required so the cost will be $50 less than the standard version.

As it was a new board I have made some small changes around the output section. The XLR/RCA switch is gone so you just plug into the 

output you want but not both at the same time. Doing this removed the relays in the output switching. They were high quality signal types so minimal effect on sound quality but I feel I feel it works just as well without the switch. 

The USB only version has no I2S switching relays so there may be a slight sonic improvement.

Much as I like to get the unit quickly, please do not rush and compromise the build and testing.

I have never used s/pdif inputs, hence my usb only order. Bonus is a neater back. Was not expecting a significant drop, so $50 is good. I doubt I will notice any slight audio improvement with the usb only because I am expecting any variant of the Groß to blow away my 4 years old Audiolab.

Edited by Snoopy8
4 not 5 years old
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Just a quick update.

My Amanero boards & Jensen transformers orders have now shipped. ETA is probably early next week.

The arcylic sheets have arrived & the new cnc programming done for no model number on the front or model on the front but smaller font which is same/similar to GIESELER font.

The USB only version PCB's have now shipped.

The Singxer F1 USB board for Bills units is now on its way. Coming from China tho so I'm not sure how long that will take.

DSD volume bypass option can now be removed so I will check customers preference which each order.

Hi Clay,

Bravo for getting rid of the switches.

Every switch costs a little bit of sound quality.

Matt

• Like 1