Gieseler Audio

GIESELER Groß DAC official release

Sponsor

Hi everyone

I would like to present my new Groß DAC.

It is based on the AKM4497EQ DAC chip running in software mode with a onboard micro controller.There are three digital inputs, Async USB using the Amanero Combo 384 USB board plus coax & optical. I have really gone overboard this time in terms of parts quality. The USB board & DAC chip  run from four ultra low noise Analog Devices ADM7150 series regulators. The noise output level on these is only 0.9 u volts up to 100K. The critical DAC output stage is based on a zero feedback design using massive top quality Jensen line output transformers. The -3db bandwidth range is from 0.1Hz to 15MHz! No HF or LF IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.0a4af1318266fc0e33040f6180592652.JPGIMG_1178.thumb.JPG.fac357a8ba132116b7bd3dc276ce5494.JPGIMG_1199.thumb.JPG.6b2f281a54be4004587f10a17e10b17d.JPGroll off with these babies. Distortion 0.004% typ at 20 Hz and +4 dBu output level. These are the highest quality line output transformer Jensen make with PC mounting which I needed.  It is a ultra simple output stage just using the transformers. Output level is 2v RMS.

I have been in touch with AKM engineers & as a result changed a lot of the default AK4497EQ registry settings which now enables the chip to drive the transformers much better than normal. The other big bonus is the DAC output is fully variable (via remote) using the DAC chip internal 256 step attenuator. Bottom line is the DAC will drive a power amp perfectly with very smooth level control. You do throw away bits at lower levels but due to the DAC chips 32 bit architecture there does not seem to be much loss.  There is a built in memory function so the DAC always remembers all setting including output level even after a full power off.

Price -  Unfortunately I did not have enough time today to do the full parts costing which I need to do to calculate the final price.  I will definitely post that before the weekend. Build time is much quicker than the Konverter so that helps keep the final cost down too.

OK the bottom line - how does it sound?

As usual I am totally biased but this has to be the best sounding DAC only unit I have ever built by a country mile. I think the combination of ultra low noise power supplies, the AK4497EQ increased output drive & the excellent  Jensen transformers  is a match made in heaven.

Price

UPDATE!

The first five at the introductory price of $2000 have now been sold.

Current price will now go to approximately $2350 but I will confirm this shortly.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
Price update

Nice looking unit.:party

My only doubt is around the name :unsure:?  Gross=very obvious and unacceptable. I can see many puns coming up e.g. It sounds gross, it looks gross etc...

Did you compare the sound with the Konveter? And any other dacs?

Sponsor

All my DAC's are based on German names so compared to the Klein which means "small" in German this one is the bigger brother so "Groß" (in German means big ) was the obvious choice. However I must admit when it was first suggested to me my reaction was similar to yours. At least with a name like that you will have no problem remembering it. Also Schiit Audio has a pretty odd name but it certainly stands out.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Clay come to us for naming in the future.

My German inspired name would be after the Band.

Kraftwerk

But I do get the Gross as in the old Mercedes Grosser:wub:

Nah stick with Gross:thumb:

When I saw it was spelled "Groß", all doubts were dissipated. But yeah... reading it in English it was a bit of a shocker in an East End kind of accent... "Tha' is gross".

As long as you're next product is not "Scheiße"! :D

Hey Klay (I feel I should keep with the Germanic theme),

looks beautiful and no doubt sounds better! Can you give us case dimensions? Is it essentially the same as a Konvertor minus the preamp stage?

Cheers,

Steve :-)

Hi Clay,

the DAC looks nice, BUT I have a big problem with the scripture on it.

On the left side you have GIESELER, so far so good. 

On the right side you have the name of the DAC, but written in an antique font which I absolutely dislike and which IMO in no way matches the font of GIESELER.

This antique scripture on the right side is a NO GO for me. It does NOT suit this high-tech DAC. Sorry, but please have the name of the DAC in the same scripture (font) as GIESELER.

Thank you.

Matt

Edited by matth

46 minutes ago, matth said:

Hi Clay,

the DAC looks nice, BUT I have a big problem with the scripture on it.

On the left side you have GIESELER, so far so good. 

On the right side you have the name of the DAC, but written in an antique font which I absolutely dislike and which IMO in no way matches the font of GIESELER.

This antique scripture on the right side is a NO GO for me. It does NOT suit this high-tech DAC. Sorry, but please have the name of the DAC in the same scripture (font) as GIESELER.

Thank you.

Matt

Yes to this very Much   :)

Looks like I might be selling my trusty Klein SE. Well done Clay

Edited by naggots