Any EAR 834P owners?

Hi All,

I recently purchased an EAR 834P second hand (black with volume control) but it did not come with a manual.

It's sounding great, but can anyone recommend the best setting for the volume control when connected to an integrated amplifier? Does turning it up all the way set it to a line output? 

Any help or tips appreciated! Currently running it with a MM cart.

Edit: I've got the same Shure M97XE cart that I've been using for the last couple of years. Any recommended MM carts for use with the EAR 834P pre? I'm running a Technics 1210 TT.

Thanks

Edited by Highwaystar

Guest Muon N'

MM is good, as the MC step up transformers in those that come equipped are not much chop.

With the attenuator on the EAR, open it fully and use the amp's volume control, back it off a little if noise is and issue, till it's gone, trust ya' ears here.

Just a tip with tube rolling, each of the three 12ax7's are used by both channels, one half of each for each channel, so when buying replacements get ones where the halves are matched :)

Edit: do I own an EAR? No.

Edited by Muon N'

Former owner.....

I left the volume pot on mid way through - unless you are using very low output MC with a low gain system....

Best combination of valves are from 3 different makes (IMO)....I cannot remember the combination I am afraid.

If using MC, better to use an external step up (transformer or head amp)

Guest Muon N'

@pulinap

That's interesting how much attenuation you used, my system must be low gain as using the same circuit but with the Thorsten Loesch alterations it works well without attenuation.

Hmm...yeah probably is as my amp is only two gain stages :ohmy::)

Edited by Muon N'
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a very nice copy of the 834P, the Douk Tube Phonobox. The best tube combination for me was a mix of 1 new production and 2x NOS tubes.

1x TJ Full Music 12AX7, 1x Telefunken Smooth Grey Plate 12AX7 and 1x Mullard Short Grey Plate 12AX7 tubes.

Plenty of wow moments with that tube combination giving the right mix of warmth, transparency and three dimensionality.

I just leave the volume pot all the way up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 9/13/2017 at 6:00 AM, MattyW said:

I'm running a very nice copy of the 834P, the Douk Tube Phonobox. The best tube combination for me was a mix of 1 new production and 2x NOS tubes.

Hi Matty,

Did you build it from the kit? It is all the rage on Lenco heaven recently.

Regards,

kffern

1 hour ago, kffern said:

Hi Matty,

Regards,

kffern

No need, they're pretty hard to beat pre-assembled: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Douk-Audio-MM-Vacuum-Tube-Phono-Preamplifier-LP-Turntable-Hi-Fi-PHONOBOX-Pre-Amp-/252451271067?hash=item3ac744b19b:g:grMAAOSw3utY5MeA

On 19/09/2017 at 3:37 PM, kffern said:

Hi Matty,

Regards,

kffern

The guys over there have gone through a few different clones/builds of the EAR clone circuits, the latest ones they like look like nice PCBs they get off the bay.

I have no idea what ones would sound the best, leaving the Real Original out of the equation, most as far as I'm aware have not heard the Original real EAR and neither have I. Some of the guys have made some nice looking builds using those PCBs..

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=20984.0

I tried Chamila's (CG on gumtree) for a short trial and was very impressed. A friend took it next and ordered one immediately. Chamila's uses Jim Audio board and a big toroid. From my research there are 3 clone boards available. Jim's audio, Douk audio  and Xuling - all on eBay. Jim's and Xuling are better design and build but don't come with a power supply board. Jim's looks the best and is the most expensive.

I plan to get a kit off Chamila's once I am through a few stalled projects. His components are high quality.

Kffern

PS. I did find the gain too high even for a pass B1 buffer pre and would recommend a pot.

Edited by kffern