ABC Classic FM in the Illawarra

MusicOne

Just wondering if any members in the Illawarra are experiencing issues with ABC Classic FM broadcasts?

There appears to be a problem with the balance.....the volume in the right channel is lower than the volume in the left.

I have noticed this for about 10 days now and I waited in the hope that problem would be corrected, but this has not happened. It's not my equipment, because I am also experiencing the balance issue in the car as well.

Could any members situated in the Illawarra (Wollongong), do me a great favour and check this out with their equipment. I have contacted the ABC about the matter, but they responded with a courteous message left on my answering machine, informing me that they have received no similar reports and they require at least three such reports before the technicians can investigate.

After checking for yourself and if you find the same issue, could you please post a short message here and I would greatly appreciate it if you could take the time and trouble to fill out this short questionnaire for the ABC: http://www.abc.net.au/reception/contact/

Many Thanks,

John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At last this problem has been rectified.....it has taken well over two months (probably nearer three months). What does that say about the ABC's monitoring system....if there is one that is? Very disappointed. I will lodge a formal complaint, as soon as I work out how to do that. They need to know that we are out there and listening.

On 10/21/2017 at 4:13 AM, MusicOne said:

What does that say about the ABC's monitoring system....if there is one that is?

In 2010, ABC FM on DAB+ radio in Brisbane had a channel imbalance of several dB for several months.  [I myself didn't normally listen to the DAB+ version of ABC FM as the bitrate was too low for my hearing. I much preferred the analogue broadcast sound quality. That is still the case for me. ]

I eventually reported the matter to the ABC, and a week after that the imbalance was corrected.

Perhaps @MusicOne you could refer briefly to my experience with ABC FM on DAB+ radio in your complaint.

I referred to the situation on dtvforum at the time, and my relevant posts now appear here on stereonet:

The left channel level is about 5dB less than the right channel level for both DAB+ tuners. I have noticed this order of discrepancy for many months. (I'll have to report this to the ABC to see if they improve the Brisbane channel balance!)

• Like 1

@MLXXX  Thanks for that. Perhaps I should have spoken to them directly, rather than going through their email system. This is not the first time I've had an issue with ABC Classic FM. A couple of years ago there was a problem with transients...i.e. as soon as there was a sudden increase in sound (volume), like a sudden crescendo in a given piece, the signal went bad for a time (the sound seemed to close in on itself) and eventually went back to normal again, after a few moments. It got so bad at one stage, that I stopped listening for a time, as I came to dread transients.....just couldn't cope with that. The issue was eventually fixed and it was only evident while I was listening in the Illawarra region.....didn't happen in Sydney. 

Cheers, John.

Edited by MusicOne
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Over the past couple of months (since November really), ABC Classic FM has been down again (by about 5db....just my guess) in the right channel.

This problem has been somewhat intermittent, but overwhelmingly, there has been an imbalance. I had given up listening to Classic FM on my audio system.....just listened while in the car....mainly because I just couldn't stand the imbalance....in the car it's not so critical.

For the last few days, it has come good again, (while listening in the car) so I might venture to tune in tonight.

Apparently, Classic FM broadcasts are not routinely monitored, hence the techs are not aware of a problem until notified by us....the listeners. Crazy, if you ask me. 

3 hours ago, robc said:

I've noticed, so John's not completely alone. :)

Hi Rob......I lived in Kiama about 15 years ago.....wonderful town.

It could be a problem with the Knights Hill transmission towers/relay station. Not sure what they do up there....not much, I fear. They certainly don't monitor their broadcasts, or the issue wouldn't have continued for so long.

Being ABC staff, they're probably too busy painting themselves pink....just so they don't standout.:) (sorry, couldn't resist that)

Hi John,

I was actually in the car at the time heading North, I think somewhere around Dapto. Playing with the balance control and changing stations made me realize the issue was with the station not my car radio. :) Yep, it is a bit slack, and really shouldn't be happening. If we both complain, maybe they will fix it, that can't ignore 100% of their audience.

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 1

I'm good at complaining....................give me a link!

For instance...............the Bellambi rainfall gauge hasn't worked for yonks..............I complained...................but they still haven't answered!

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60801/IDN60801.94749.shtml

Edited by LogicprObe

• 3 months later...

ABC Classic FM strikes again.....only in the Illawarra region.....not sure about elsewhere.

There's distortion in the right channel. This issue had occurred before and it took forever to fix it. I'll put in a complaint yet again, but it might still take weeks.months to get it fixed.

If anyone else is finding the same issue, please submit this complaint form to ABC Classic FM: http://www.abc.net.au/reception/contact/

Many Thanks,

John.

Edited by MusicOne

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this issue resolved. Received a couple of calls from ABC tech dept. The caller thought that I might have reception issues, but I explained that the issue (distortion) had occurred before and I reminded him of the last occasion when this happened and that it hadn't been a reception problem back then. He acknowledged that ABC Classic FM did indeed have distortion issues (in the Illawarra region) about 8 months, but I think he thought that on this occasion, it was my equipment/reception that was at fault.

The distortion issue has now been fixed.....I do wish ABC Classic FM would occasionally monitor their broadcasts, so that it wouldn't be up to listeners to bring problems to their attention. Guess it's all about budgeting and the allocation of resources.