Justification of a purchase.

So far buying a mix of 'on sale' and second hand gear I lead with the cost saving versus new, as well as the possible sale price of the old gear. Means the price difference makes it really cheap.

I also kicked in to help her buy a new camera she wanted. So everyone gets a new toy :)

Oh and subtle mention not smoking nor being a big drinker like other couples we know helps bring a bit of perspective.

Edited by PauliD

My #1 rule. never do anything in my life i am not happy to tell the wife about - and i tell her everything. If we've got the money she doesnt care - i usually have 3 things on the go like hifi, motorbikes, beekeeping, beer making, shooting etc. as long as the bills are paid and we can go on a few trips then the rest is for livin!

Rule #2. be wary of investments that have monetary returns instead of life enriching ones! If your investments have both monetary and life enriching returns then relax, crack a beer, admire yourself in the frosty reflection and bathe your moment in glorious self appreciation and understanding; you are actually a genius!

Edited by JPete9
  • Like 3

My wife pick up the design, size and amount of speakers. I chose the quality and then we talk about the price. It took us few months to agree to the price. So we ended up with Focal Electra 1008  - best bookshelves under $10K + Focal Dome  - small fancy/cute surrounds - 5.0.2 system. Stereo and HT in one. 

Wife is happy.    

On 9/13/2017 at 6:55 PM, soundreference said:

A very interesting topic. Some kind of philosophy stuff going on in here. The stories I could tell.

Is she/he watching?......:na:

Edited by kab

7 minutes ago, Phillz said:

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells everything for what I told her I paid for it. But her ears did prick up the other day when  I told her I was going to up the household insurance by $22k to cover my Hi-Fi gear.

Are you starting to feel ill?

A bit of a cough maybe?

stock-vector-cartoon-vulture-standing-on-a-wooden-sign-vector-illustration-with-simple-gradients-all-in-a-81205861.thumb.jpg.49d8a1a7c90f818ce259b43d0638ec6b.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Phillz said:

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells everything for what I told her I paid for it. But her ears did prick up the other day when  I told her I was going to up the household insurance by $22k to cover my Hi-Fi gear.

My fear is that my SNA mates come round and tell my wife that "those records and that equipment isn't worth much these days but they will help and take the burden off her..... "  :afro:   @Hensa

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

My fear is that my SNA mates come round and tell my wife that "those records and that equipment isn't worth much these days but they will help and take the burden off her..... "  :afro:   @Hensa

That would be the absolute least I could do. Not to mention the old "didn't John mention how grateful he was that I had lent him the Luxman amp and CD player for so long?" :angel:

Your emoji bears a remarkable likeness to me... Looks like a bald guy with a black halo! :P

Edited by Hensa

22 minutes ago, Hensa said:

That would be the absolute least I could do. Not to mention the old "didn't John mention how grateful he was that I had lent him the Luxman amp and CD player for so long?" :angel:

Your emoji bears a remarkable likeness to me... Looks like a bald guy with a black halo! :P

LOL

well she certainly doesn't think i purchased them...  of course they are on loan from you.  and the fact you installed the brinkman arm 'as a favour' meant to her it's borrowed...  Angela constantly mentions how generous SNA folk are with what they lend..

• Like 1

I don't try to hide anything from Christine, she likes to have a listen now and again too.

She doesn't know why I need more than one TT though, but she hasn't asked me to cut down on them.

The above comments from me are complete tongue in cheek.  For the record, my wife would never say anything about what a piece of equipment costs. Many times, over the years, she has purchased the items as a present.  Given the move into TT land, it's too expensive for her to do that now but things like the Okki Nokki, the US Cleaner, the little fwend lifter etc...  have all been from her.

This is my escape from work and she is 100% on-board.  I do allow the odd Neil Diamond and Fleetwood Mac spin for her...   :)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

I do allow the odd Neil Diamond and Fleetwood Mac spin for her...   :)

There's price we all have pay John.  Mine is listening to The Waterboys and Bruno Mars every now and then. ;)

• Like 1