Tracks with KILLER BASS. What shakes your system?

Just about every modern pop song on YouTube Vevo or Spotify has killer bass (including Selena Gomez), it’s a ‘thing’ about modern radio/hits music. Just search and play Summer Hits 2017 on Spotify for example, and you’ll know what I mean.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

From 2:30 there is bowel shaking, sickeningly deep bass. Extreme death metal won't be to everyone's taste.

268x0w.jpg

Could you put up a link I can listen to please

big wrap Man

Cheers

Matt

24 minutes ago, Chigurh said:

You are right !, won't appeal to everyone's taste, but it's metal, not alot of bowel shaking mostly teeth grinding

(might have been put up already) This one is something would regard as "bowel shaking" but 99% of systems will just rattle the woofers with no sound regrettably

Super with some cone area behind it 

same as 20Hz Bass Violation - Technotronics is a little more intense will induce bowel shaking to the point one might leave the Lounge to visit aunty Mary :) 

Skeleton shaking within the water bag that makes up a human

Edited by Guest

This is a fave track for me for testing a speaker's low range. Bass builds steadily over the first couple mins.

I remember pushing a Bryston 2b with some bookshelf speakers in a big room and seeing a red flash on the amp's leds when the bass drops to that big low Eb.

I recommend stopping at around 2mins in as compressed drums come in pretty loudly at around 2:15 (wish he didn't put these in)

• 4 weeks later...

1-Beginning of the track 9 on the 2nd CD of Nils Lofgren Band Live double album

The best ever live recording I've ever heard full stop. After hearing this on his customer's (who is my friend and I gave him a copy of this CD) system who bought Paragons, Colin Whatmough asked if he can have a copy so he can use it to demo the Bass on Paragons.

2- Escondido by Bernie Maupin;

The Bass saxophone in this peace requires top notch music sub, really kicks in around 50" and goes down quite a lot.

3 - Cool album by Bob James & Earl Klugh, whole album is full of great bass and it is an excellent example of great recording but the 2nd track , " As it happens" is my favorite, the bass guitar entry at the beginning is awesome.

Edited by ufo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I’ve a play list for testing tweaks to my set-ups, I try to cover a range of genres. here are my bass focused picks

Metric – Help I’m Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtA7YIFapnY

Moonspell – Opium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoooX3OVGoI

Ratatat – Cream on Chrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcywgEMuGI

More Bob James with Nathan East this time - Oliver’s Bag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAfzafz4ouw

The Jungle Giants – Quiet Ferocity (moments of good bass throughout whole Album)

On your way Day (At 2.55 there’s a falling note my system can’t handle)

https://youtu.be/NMVH_3EuFhw

RHCP – Under the bridge

Not “killer” bass Hz wise, but Flea is killing it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wasabijim said:

The Jungle Giants

On your way Day (At 2.55 there’s a falling note my system can’t handle)

I knew this song, but have never noticed the falling note before (possibly due to only having heard it on JJJ in the car - stock std Toyota audio).

Quite something!!

The Crystal Method: Vegas album.

Massive Attack: Mezzanine album

London Grammar: If You Wait album

Alice In Chains: MTV unplugged album ( actually received a verbal complaint from my neighbour about the bass off this album ) It was a proud moment in my life..

NIN: The Fragile & Hesitation Marks

All make my walls shake when played.

• Like 2

I understand that this may upset some people and yes, I am over 50 but from (ultimately failed) attempts to listen to mainstream radio and checking out a number of recent entries on this thread, I'm seeing a pattern forming. A lot of bassy music in current times is either incredibly boring ("ambient") or incredibly repetitive (R&B/Hip Hop) or both (nearly everything) and where the bass is 'generated' from a keyboard and not actually real, ie: from a drum or bass guitar.....

Don't get me wrong, I love electronica (well, the creative stuff anyway) but I'm asking myself, rather than having 'short attention spans' which I'd always suspected about Gen X, are the creators of 'Gen X' music actually the one's who have the short attention spans, hitting on a bassy groove and just repeating it over and over or sloooooowly developing it over (a loooong) period of time due to their obvious creative and musical limitations? A 10 minute track that can be interesting for maybe the first minute before the listener realises that it's pretty much what they're going to get for the next nine minutes.....

No wonder I'm fixated on the 70's and 80's, when musical creativity was at it's exciting best.....before the 'automaton' music companies and radio stations decided to play it safe for the sake of 'safer' profits and computers made it easier for people with limited talent to get their average creations heard and trick listeners into thinking they actually have musical talent (which they don't). It's largely why I avoid mainstream radio and even JJJ these days.

I'm not saying that their isn't any good music coming out these days, there is......but it's rare and it can be virtually guaranteed that those bands are inspired by the creativity of 70's and 80's music (eg: The Presets and many non electronic bands......you know, those entities that contain members who can actually play an instrument!), not the insipid R&B 'off shoots' of the current/recent era (eg: Black Eyed Peas).....my two cents worth.:)

Edited by stevoz
  • Love 1

I am over 50.

Back in November, I listed this track, in this thread (below, again)

The bass slam and effect in this song CANNOT be reproduced on a real bass guitar, and is therefore unique and can only be generated thru synthesizer.

Music, by it's nature, is repetitive - I have never understood the argument that EDM is therefore not worthy because it has too much of the basis upon which most human ears actually understand and enjoy the medium?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, candyflip said:

I am over 50.

Back in November, I listed this track, in this thread (below, again)

The bass slam and effect in this song CANNOT be reproduced on a real bass guitar, and is therefore unique and can only be generated thru synthesizer.

Music, by it's nature, is repetitive - I have never understood the argument that EDM is therefore not worthy because it has too much of the basis upon which most human ears actually understand and enjoy the medium?

I agree......I said 'most' bassy music and also that I love 'creative' electronica. I also think that there is 'interestingly repetitive' and 'boringly repetitive'. I just think a lot (but not all) of what appeals to people these days has little musical and creative merit and is 'boringly repetitive'. At least what you have put forward above is interesting. I don't mind a repetitive beat or hook as long as it appears to be building towards 'something', a la 'The Presets'. In fact, the above sounds like it could be The Presets...... I notice Gesaffelstein's debut album came out in 2013 after being actually recorded in 2011, six years after The Presets debut 'Beams' and three years after their breakthrough 'Apocalypso"...... interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love a good electronic bass slam or LF rumble, I just want it to be part of an interesting and creative musical soundscape.:)

Edited by stevoz

This has already been posted, but just to demonstrate @stevoz argument is very limited really (allbeit in a single example).

Also, some of the most repetitive and most creative music (of all time) can be found in Daft Punk releases (Random Access Memories, Discovery, HW....), not to mention their production,  mastering and vinyl transfer that's unmatched. And 70's are in no way immune to repetitive synthy music (see Giorgio Moroder, JM Jarre, Kraftwerk....) that is very creative.

And the last point, majority of songs in this post aren't played on the mainstream radio, never have been, and mostly never will be...

And this is from a die-hard Pink Floyd and Dire Straits fan, but also someone who is blind to the origin or genre of good music.

Edit: I concur with @stevoz on the point about JJJ, while I used to love them in th 90s, 00s, now I will mostly tune into DoubleJ instead. But I think the issue there is with boring programming.

Edited by zippi

6 minutes ago, zippi said:

This has already been posted, but just to demonstrate @steveoz argument is very limited really.

Geez, I said 'a lot' of bassy music, not all. You can all keep throwing up examples of good 'bassy' music and good on you. All it proves is what I agree with, that not all bassy music is repetitive and boring, just a lot of today's offerings. BTW, the bass in the above clip is naturally produced from a real instument...... What appears to be 'limited' is some peoples ability to be comfortable with a contrary view and to not resort to 're-education'.:)

• Like 1