Using Rotel RA-1570 as power amp for AV receiver

Could some wise soul please help me with a problem?  I want to use Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp as a stereo amplifier with my Yamaha AV receiver which has PRE-OUT output. 

The Rotel has a pair connectors (left and right) labeled  ”Pre Out 2” and “Main In” connected by a set of metal jumper connectors. The manual states that these can be used to connect a signal processor (using both in and out plugs).

My question is: Can I connect the AV receiver by removing these jumpers and simply plugging the AV receiver’s PRE-OUT output to the Main In plug?  Do I leave the “Pre Out” empty?

It may be a dumb question but I’ve not encountered this issue before.

24 minutes ago, Karel said:

Could some wise soul please help me with a problem?  I want to use Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp as a stereo amplifier with my Yamaha AV receiver which has PRE-OUT output. 

The Rotel has a pair connectors (left and right) labeled  ”Pre Out 2” and “Main In” connected by a set of metal jumper connectors. The manual states that these can be used to connect a signal processor (using both in and out plugs).

My question is: Can I connect the AV receiver by removing these jumpers and simply plugging the AV receiver’s PRE-OUT output to the Main In plug?  Do I leave the “Pre Out” empty?

Yes and yes. Leave the pre-out empty. 

33 minutes ago, Karel said:

karel, you dont have to do any of that at all. the rotel RA 1570 comes with the ht bypass facility on board. 

so you simply engage that and the pre amp section is immediately bypassed passing the ht input direct to the power stage.

needing no jumpers to be removed.

this facility is provided in 2ch integrated like this so you can plug your 2ch analog sources direct to the 2ch integrated inputs utilising its superior 2ch analog pre amp.

while in ht bypass mode the 2ch power amp stage of the integrated can drive your mains doing better than the power stage usually avrs are bestowed with.

if unsure check your manual but it definitely has the capability to "fix" gain on any input of choice so to utilise as ht bypass :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karel said:

Thank you @Zaphod Beeblebrox .  Will I still be able to select sources connected to the Rotel (cd player) without having to re-connect the jumpers first?

Nope. The pre-main jumpers, when removed, disable all preamp functions. Nothing will work. If you want to retain control, then you should connect your AV amp to (say) the AUX input, or one of the other high level inputs. 

15 minutes ago, Karel said:

Thank you @Zaphod Beeblebrox .  Will I still be able to select sources connected to the Rotel (cd player) without having to re-connect the jumpers first?

karel, as per my note above, if you want to keep using with other sources e.g. rotel cd player. utilise the ht bypass functionality by setting one of the inputs on fixed gain. this you utilise to feed direct to the power stage. all other inputs will function as normal. no need to remove any jumpers to achieve what you intend :)

1 minute ago, :) al said:

karel, as per my note above, if you want to keep using with other sources e.g. rotel cd player. utilise the ht bypass functionality by setting one of the inputs on fixed gain. this you utilise to feed direct to the power stage. all other inputs will function as normal. no need to remove any jumpers to achieve what you intend :)

There's your answer. I didn't bother Googling the 1570. Perhaps I should have. @:) al has answered your question correctly. Do what he says. 

21 minutes ago, :) al said:

so you simply engage that and the pre amp section is immediately bypassed passing the ht input direct to the power stage.

Thanks @:) al .   I take it I just have to experiment with the fixed volume setting to find the right one?  This is a new concept to me.  It is not at all clear from the manual, no mention of using the fixed volume setting for 'bypassing' the preamp.  No mention of HT bypass.

• FIXED GAIN: Configures a Fixed Volume level for a specified input. To enable this feature press the +/- buttons to select the desired fixed volume level for Aux 1, Coax 1, Coax 2, Optical 1, Optical 2, PC-USB or Bluetooth. When enabled and the input with a Fixed Volume is selected, the Volume level will immediately be set to the specified level. Valid settings include: VARIABLE, FIXED 01-95, FIXED MAX. • AUX1 VOL: VARIABLE (disabled) is factory default. • COAX1 VOL: VARIABLE (disabled) is factory default. • COAX2 VOL: VARIABLE (disabled) is factory default. • OPT1 VOL: VARIABLE (disabled) is factory default.

NOTE: The Volume knob on the front panel and Volume +/- buttons on the IR remote are disabled when the volume is Fixed. To disable this feature set the Fixed Volume level to “Variable”.

1 minute ago, Karel said:

Thanks @:) al .   I take it I just have to experiment with the fixed volume setting to find the right one?  This is a new concept to me.  It is not at all clear from the manual, no mention of using the fixed volume setting for 'bypassing' the preamp.  No mention of HT bypass.

hi karel, pg 13 of the manual. ht-bypass is just a generic term that has come to be. many makers call all sorts of things. ht direct, processor bypass. unity gain, fixed gain in rotels case. all achieve the same thing. i.e. bypass the pre amp's vol stage so pass through at a fixed gain as you would just connecting direct to a power amp :)

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Not sure if I should post here or create a new topic.

My query is:

Lets say I have the following components:

AVR with Preouts

Power Amp (5 channels or even 2 channels)

Integrated Amp with HT Bypass (Processor Mode)

CD player

How would I connect the above in such a way that I can achieve 2 channel CD playback using my integrated amp's preamp section but using the separate power amp ? (Would I need to use the pre outs of the integrated? But if I used HT bypass I would imagine the pre outs gets disabled?) All very confusing for me haha.

And when watching movies have the power amp power all the speakers and using the AVR's processing for surround sound.

Thanks,

K.

On 25/08/2017 at 7:21 PM, Karel said:

On 25/08/2017 at 8:12 PM, :) al said:

What Al says!

That's how I did mine. 

My RA-1570 is working as a normal integrated with lots of sources.  See attached pic.

Front main Pre-Outs from the Yammy HT Receiver are connected to Aux1 and setup for Fixed Gain.

RA-1570 AV configuration.jpg

13 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks. What if I have a separate multichannel power amp in the mix to the above? 

Same it just powers the rest of the channels while 2ch amp with ht bypass powers the fronts

1 hour ago, k3nnis888 said:

Can I run 5 channel power amp for all the speakers but use the integrated pre amp section? 

Could be tricky because when the source is from the AVR, then you want the front mains driven by its pre-outs, but when playing CD or any other source connected to the integrated, you want the front mains driven by the integrated's pre-outs.

If you're not planning to use the power amp sections in the AVR or the Integrated, have you thought about replacing the AVR and the integrated with a nice Pre-Pro?

i.e. Sources -> 5.1/7.1 Preamp-Processsor -> 5-Channel Power Amp.

7 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

Could be tricky because when the source is from the AVR, then you want the front mains driven by its pre-outs, but when playing CD or any other source connected to the integrated, you want the front mains driven by the integrated's pre-outs.

If you're not planning to use the power amp sections in the AVR or the Integrated, have you thought about replacing the AVR and the integrated with a nice Pre-Pro?

i.e. Sources -> 5.1/7.1 Preamp-Processsor -> 5-Channel Power Amp.

Yep have thought about that. Which would be better if I did not want to spend a higher amount of $$$$$?

Would you do power amp for rear and center channel in a 5.1 setup and an integrated amp for front mains via HT Bypass and run a CD player into it or would you go the way you suggested?

19 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Yep have thought about that. Which would be better if I did not want to spend a higher amount of $$$$$?

Would you do power amp for rear and center channel in a 5.1 setup and an integrated amp for front mains via HT Bypass and run a CD player into it or would you go the way you suggested?

I guess that depends on how you regard the capability and quality of your various power amps, and the speakers and room that they're being used with.  Generally speaking, if you can do without one of those 3 components, then you can invest more in the quality of the other 2 and simplify system setup and operation.

Without knowing a bit more about the actual products, speakers and room it's a bit hard to recommend which direction to take.

Personally I am more than happy with the power and headroom of my RA-1570 for my front mains & 2-channel listening.  If you're driving inefficient speakers &/or need to cater for a very large room, you might prefer a higher powered amp for those duties in which case a separate power amp (or a higher powered integrated) is useful.

My AVR is a Yammy RX-V667.  I picked it because they went back to discrete Class AB amplification with this model and it's rated at 90W RMS per channel @8 Ohms (20Hz-20kHz).  Its dynamic power specs also give an indication of very healthy headroom, so it's more than adequate for my Centre and Rears.  Especially since I'm seriously under-utilising its power supply by only using 3 of the 7 amps.

All my speakers are reasonably efficient (88 - 91dB), so in my system, and with my choice of AVR and integrated I don't have the need for a separate power amp.

ok thanks. 

Here is my system:

Micromega Minium Integrated AMP 40WX2 - It has HT Bypass

Pioneer SC LX-71 AVR - not sure on the wattage, but has Class D ice amps

B&W DM601S3 Bookshelves (I use these as front Main) - maybe future may go bigger bookshelves or get 684 Floorstanders and move these to the rear

B&W M1 satellites X 2 for the rears

B&W LCR600 center speaker

NAD C521i CD player

Room size is small @ 4.1M X 3.4M

Projector fixed screen 110" 16:9 - On the 3.4M wall

JVC X35 Projector

Thanks,

K.

2 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

ok thanks. 

Here is my system:

Micromega Minium Integrated AMP 40WX2 - It has HT Bypass

Pioneer SC LX-71 AVR - not sure on the wattage, but has Class D ice amps

B&W DM601S3 Bookshelves (I use these as front Main) - maybe future may go bigger bookshelves or get 684 Floorstanders and move these to the rear

B&W M1 satellites X 2 for the rears

B&W LCR600 center speaker

NAD C521i CD player

Room size is small @ 4.1M X 3.4M

Projector fixed screen 110" 16:9 - On the 3.4M wall

JVC X35 Projector

Thanks,

K.

As far as AVRs go, that Pioneer is very well regarded and has plenty of power.

- Assuming you are happy with the NAD -> Micromega -> DM601S3 combination for listening to CDs,

- and knowing that the room size is not large and the speakers are pretty efficient,

- and that the AVRs power output is of decent quality and significantly higher than the integrated;

Then, rather than looking at a 5-channel power amp or HT bypass, maybe you could try something like the Beresford TC-7220 2-ch Selector Switch that would allow you to just switch the front mains between the Integrated and the AVR.

http://www.ienjoy.com.au/index.php/brands/beresford/tc-7220

This would let you maintain your dedicated 2-channel system for CDs, but also let you swap the front mains over to the AVR outputs for multi-channel duties.

Note that using a normal speaker selector switch in reverse should not be considered for this purpose as they often won't fully isolate the two amplifiers.

25 minutes ago, surprisetech said:

As far as AVRs go, that Pioneer is very well regarded and has plenty of power.

- Assuming you are happy with the NAD -> Micromega -> DM601S3 combination for listening to CDs,

- and knowing that the room size is not large and the speakers are pretty efficient,

- and that the AVRs power output is of decent quality and significantly higher than the integrated;

Then, rather than looking at a 5-channel power amp or HT bypass, maybe you could try something like the Beresford TC-7220 2-ch Selector Switch that would allow you to just switch the front mains between the Integrated and the AVR.

http://www.ienjoy.com.au/index.php/brands/beresford/tc-7220

This would let you maintain your dedicated 2-channel system for CDs, but also let you swap the front mains over to the AVR outputs for multi-channel duties.

Note that using a normal speaker selector switch in reverse should not be considered for this purpose as they often won't fully isolate the two amplifiers.

Thanks for the info. Do you think when watching surround sound movies using the avr for main left / right would be better than using my micromega 40wx2 ? 

The other question is, is the pioneer avr preamp section as good as the micromega ? If it is may as well use the NAD with the AVR

Edited by k3nnis888

17 hours ago, k3nnis888 said:

Thanks for the info. Do you think when watching surround sound movies using the avr for main left / right would be better than using my micromega 40wx2 ? 

The other question is, is the pioneer avr preamp section as good as the micromega ? If it is may as well use the NAD with the AVR

Ah, now we're getting into subjective territory, but I'll give you my 2c worth!

Others with experience of the Micromega amp might contribute something of more value.

I expect that using the higher powered amps in the AVR for the mains would be better for movies, but depending on the type of movies you watch and the levels you listen at, that may not always be the case.

Given Micromega's reputation I would assume it's preamp would be better than the AVR, but it is a decent AVR and the Integrated is getting a little long in the tooth, so maybe put the CD player through the AVR for a little while and see how you like it.  Pre-amp quality for CD playback is not as critical as it would be for a phono input.