Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

SONY A1 - OLED

6 minutes ago, :) al said:

Yeah it’s just retailers know one over Christmas sales go dead two how fickle buyers are as soon as a new model announced no one wants the old one

but one thing for sure be bargains abound :)

my kuro is still going ...so no real rush, but never know incase goes bang or something making sure upto speed of things :)

I'm just happy that competition in the OLED market is bringing prices down in general.We are moving closer to having backlit tv's wiped from the face of the earth and it can't come soon enough for me.

6 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

I'm just happy that competition in the OLED market is bringing prices down in general.We are moving closer to having backlit tv's wiped from the face of the earth and it can't come soon enough for me.

yes we noticed, however, have you seen what image retention can do to one of the dull OLEDs

a young bloke at JB HiFi pointed one out to me, and i was aghasted (made that word up), i asked if it was a customer return and nope it was a shop demo with a nice black outline of something all over the screen ... not covered by warranty if you happen to doze off one night

backlit TVs are also considerably brighter, and have superior picture quality to OLED in some cases (please refer to disclaimer in product brochure)

On 10/30/2017 at 7:35 PM, Qwertyqaz said:

But isn’t it just a rebadged LG?

irrelevant, it is the market leader by virtue of Samsung releasing the Q7/Q9 series

last year i would have said Samsung KS9000 series, but this year SONY take the bikkies by virtue of a Samsung default

...regardless of who manufactured the panel, it is a well known fact that OEM processing accounts for most if not all the finished product

1 minute ago, mello yello said:

yes we noticed, however, have you seen what image retention can do to one of the dull OLEDs

a young bloke at JB HiFi pointed one out to me, and i was aghasted (made that word up), i asked if it was a customer return and nope it was a shop demo with a nice black outline of something all over the screen ... not covered by warranty if you happen to doze off one night

backlit TVs are also considerably brighter, and have superior picture quality to OLED in some cases (please refer to disclaimer in product brochure)

Burn in it not an issue on the LG C7 with sensible use.I'm so convinced i wish i could buy one at around 43" to use as my main pc monitor.30 min of the foxtel sport logo on my old Samsung F8500 plasma meant bad image retention but hours of the same content on the LG C7 is no problemo.

cant remember which one it was, it wasnt the SONY as they didnt have one on the shelf, but it was pretty aghasting (shocking)

9 minutes ago, mello yello said:

if you happen to doze off one night

I'm notorious at doing this... worries me if I get a Sony or other OLED. :ohmy:

Most reports seem to indicate though it's nowhere near as bad as plasma and very difficult to induce permanent burn in as opposed to temporary image retention.

JSmith :ninja:

1 minute ago, JSmith said:

Most reports seem to indicate though it's nowhere near as bad as plasma and very difficult to induce permanent burn in as opposed to temporary image retention.

Even if you did doze off with the LG C7 it dims down after about 5 min then goes to a screen saver so all good :)

just wear sunnies mate

https://s12.favim.com/orig/160309/cute-dog-glasses-puppy-Favim.com-4065517.jpg

Edited by mello yello

4 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

Even if you did doze off with the LG C7 it dims down after about 5 min then goes to a screen saver so all good :)

apparently some kid switched the screen saver off the shop demo

2 hours ago, JSmith said:

Surely your TV has a timer you can set to automatically turn it off after a certain time period?

5 hours ago, :) al said:

Yep 20% off 2017 mod l oled only today noticed when going past

but likely there are 2018 models due to be announced at ces in 2 or so weeks?

And if it is the same as this year you'll have to wait until July to get  it.

3 hours ago, duke said:

Surely your TV has a timer you can set to automatically turn it off after a certain time period?

:lol:

Yep, sure does... but I don't always fall asleep/pass out at the same time or on the lounge. :D

... doesn't matter anyway as it's a FALD LED LCD.

Very close to finally jumping at a good 65" OLED sale price... or might wait for these new gen WOLED panels. It would be nice to see all the HDR formats/support settle down a bit though...

New happy Sony A1 owner here...I am absolutely blown away with the picture quality.  Planet Earth 2 on UHD is phenomenal. 

I quite like as well that motion routines are quite smooth, not unatural .... this a very well balanced tv

was a bit worried about the back tilt but barely perceptible ... not an issue at all.

@Zinzan good to hear you are pleased. in the shops this is a nice looking set. what I also like about it is that its sloping back stand when straighten up makes for a decent wall mount where it the mounting points are centred vertically for the set. other sets eg panasonic/lg OLEDs have their mount points down login the bottom 1/3rd of the set meaning any wall mounting would mean it would end up offset mounted with the top of the set cantilevering back rather than centrally mounted.