Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

SONY A1 - OLED

On reliability ; worth posting this vid again to show how led tvs can come off 2nd best when their edge lighting gets a knock ;)

Interesting video. I was surprised when they tried to fix it by dropping the TV that nothing else broke.

Yesterday I was at Bing Lee and the sales guy told me 3 stores in Sydney cracked their Sony OLED screens when lifting onto the high display shelf. He said it was because they slightly twisted the screen when lifting.

7 hours ago, Whites said:

Interesting video. I was surprised when they tried to fix it by dropping the TV that nothing else broke.

Yesterday I was at Bing Lee and the sales guy told me 3 stores in Sydney cracked their Sony OLED screens when lifting onto the high display shelf. He said it was because they slightly twisted the screen when lifting.

ouch ; thinking those 4mm LG wallpaper models would not go well ; not to mention the price to restock :ohmy:

8 hours ago, Whites said:

They do bend a bit when you lift them.

2 minutes ago, duke said:

They do bend a bit when you lift them.

One good thing on them I guess is the wall mount is on the stand rather than screen

The Sony OLED is a complete fail IMHO.All wanky style that tries to take on the LG wall mount Oled.The problem is nobody is wasting money on the high end LG and Sony has chosen to attack the end of the market with the least sales.Real people are buying the LG C7 and neither Sony or Panasonic has a Oled that is competing for sales against it.They are getting killed by a lack of a sensible option.

32 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

The Sony OLED is a complete fail IMHO.All wanky style that tries to take on the LG wall mount Oled.The problem is nobody is wasting money on the high end LG and Sony has chosen to attack the end of the market with the least sales.Real people are buying the LG C7 and neither Sony or Panasonic has a Oled that is competing for sales against it.They are getting killed by a lack of a sensible option.

LMAO  :)   must there always be one winner.

I would buy the Sony if I were in the market.

I am a firm believer buying at the end of any model cycle - bargins to be had.

Edited by metal beat

29 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

...The problem is nobody is wasting money on the high end LG

Agree, like most products at the very top of the price tree, few people actually buy. Flagships are usually an inspiration to buy a company's more affordable offerings. They present the cutting-edge of tech to get people interested for the following iteration of models to come out, where that SOTA tech will trickle down into the more affordable products.

...Sony has chosen to attack the end of the market with the least sales.Real people are buying the LG C7 and neither Sony or Panasonic has a Oled that is competing for sales against it.

Not exactly. The 'top' offering from LG is the W7 @ $10,000 (65"). They then have the G7 @ $7000 and the 'entry' C7 @ $5000.

Sony have just the one OLED, the A1 @ $6000. Undercutting the 'midrange' LG offering and marketed as a premium product over the 'entry' LG C7.

Panasonic have 2 products, their flagship the EZ1000 @ $7000 and the EZ950 @ $5000. One is targeted to compete with LG's midrange G7, the other to directly compete with the LG C7 at the entry-point of OLED televisions.

So really by your logic, LG is the odd one out with a $10,000 unit that is pointless.

...They are getting killed by a lack of a sensible option.

Again I disagree. Sony are getting killed by having market-leading LCD televisions AND by being late to the OLED game. I'm almost certain that next year they will have more than one OLED model, so they can try to sneak into that bottom price bracket while also having something new to compete in the midrange or flagship segment.

I saw the sony oled and the 65” sticker price in jb was $5 something let alone what could haggle down

thats good value

the Mount Points in the Sony I noticed more central to screen vs LG c7 that had wall mounts down low bottom which is wierd and would make for an offset off. Centre load

if buying a 65” right now I’d buy the Sony not the $10k ? LG that would be crazy !

1 hour ago, ~Spyne~ said:

Not exactly. The 'top' offering from LG is the W7 @ $10,000 (65"). They then have the G7 @ $7000 and the 'entry' C7 @ $5000.

Sony have just the one OLED, the A1 @ $6000. Undercutting the 'midrange' LG offering and marketed as a premium product over the 'entry' LG C7.

Panasonic have 2 products, their flagship the EZ1000 @ $7000 and the EZ950 @ $5000. One is targeted to compete with LG's midrange G7, the other to directly compete with the LG C7 at the entry-point of OLED televisions.

So really by your logic, LG is the odd one out with a $10,000 unit that is pointless.

Again I disagree. Sony are getting killed by having market-leading LCD televisions AND by being late to the OLED game. I'm almost certain that next year they will have more than one OLED model, so they can try to sneak into that bottom price bracket while also having something new to compete in the midrange or flagship segment.

To be clear Sony opted for a vibrating screen speaker to compete against the LG soundbar Oleds and because that idea was a fail they are now selling for a price roughly in between the LG E7 and C7.The Panasonic's will not support Dolby Vison which makes them a complete dud as almost every new show coming out on netflix will be in Dolby Vison.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, IviewHD said:

that idea was a fail

+ 1

I wish Sony would just release a normal OLED without any fancy stand or acoustic panel.

JSmith :ninja:

I like the acoustic panel from what I have seen in shops just don't like the stand. If the stand were detachable that would be a whole lot more appealing.

Stand is fine IMO

I do not even notice the tilt on mine.

42 minutes ago, duke said:

Stand is fine IMO

Sorry Duke, I didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't have bought one. I like the Sony, but I just find the bells and whistles unnecessary when all I want is a TV. I'm struggling to bring myself to buy an LG... and the Pana not having DV is a turn off (pardon the pun ;) ).

JSmith :ninja:

I also believe that the Panasonic Oled Tv's have a stutter issue!

1 minute ago, Dokken said:

I also believe that the Panasonic Oled Tv's have a stutter issue!

Judder?

Not sure but it has been raised on numerous forums. Might be a 50hz problem. Haven't actually seen it myself as I own an LG.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:28 PM, duke said:

Stand is fine IMO

I do not even notice the tilt on mine.

The stand is fine for the people who were happy to pay extra money for it over the best midrange Oled money can buy, the LG C7.What irks people is companies trying to railroad them into paying extra money for things they don't need or want like soundbars in a tv when they already have a sound system.It is clear every man and his dog are crying out for a midrange Oled option that competes against the LG C7 and for Sony that is next years model.

only thing i like about the stand is it makes for a pretty solid wall mount :D 

but yeah would have zero need for its built in speakers and screen flapping nature etc to create audio ! 

Yep 20% off 2017 mod l oled only today noticed when going past

but likely there are 2018 models due to be announced at ces in 2 or so weeks?

So the Sony high end features get knocked down to mid range prices.All that money payed for the fancy minimalist design and funky vibrating glass seems like a um........FAIL!

I saw the pana top thx model at $2,9 something too so not just the Sony getting hacked down ! it’s just end of year sales before new models get announced 

3 minutes ago, :) al said:

I saw the pana top thx model at $2,9 something too so not just the Sony getting hacked down ! it’s just end of year sales before new models get announced 

Doesn't matter what they announce,they won't be here till next june/july.If you want a TV before then you have LG/yes dolby vision.Sony/ummmmm maybe dolby vision and Panasonic/no dolby vision.

10 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

Doesn't matter what they announce,they won't be here till next june/july.If you want a TV before then you have LG/yes dolby vision.Sony/ummmmm maybe dolby vision and Panasonic/no dolby vision.

Yeah it’s just retailers know over Christmas sales go dead two how fickle buyers are as soon as a new model announced no one wants the old one

but one thing for sure be bargains abound :)

my kuro is still going ...so no real rush, but never know incase goes bang or something making sure upto speed of things :)