Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

SONY A1 - OLED

31 minutes ago, Evolution1503565405 said:

Fate of the Furious

Does the Aus version have DV?

3 minutes ago, duke said:

Does the Aus version have DV?

I honestly wouldn't know, I buy like 99% my movies from overseas.

Edited by Evolution
Correction

The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR 

That's what it boils down to ; as everyone knows oled at the moment doesn't have the high nit level to match the HDR capabilities that LED can handle . Following on uhd material has been released in 1000nit and 4000nit levels to allow for your tvs shortcomings :) 

Dolby specifies a goal of 12-bit color and a whopping 10,000 nits of brightness for the cinematic master of a piece of content. No displays can currently handle 10K bits and 12-bt color is still not quite developed, so for content that’s currently being mastered for Dolby Vision, 4K nits and 10-bit color are allowed, particularly for broadcast content.

• Variants of the 4000 nit peak brightness can also be created for HDR displays that can’t manage this but use Dolby Vision. Thus, even 4K HDR TVs that do 1000 nits of brightness or slightly more (like most of the 2016 consumer HDR TVs using the Dolby standard) can be considered certified by Dolby Vision

• Good thing metadata bitmapping to a tvs capabilities exists; I give props to dci p3's levels better than 95% :)

The next key component of HDR is color enhancement. This is encoded into all major HDR standards and all new 4K UHD TVs with high dynamic range must offer up processing of what is known as 10-bit color. This is considered deep color and instead of offering 256 RGB (Red, Green, Blu) values, it offers 1024 of them. This amounts to a total of 1.06 billion colors instead of the 16 million offered by older 8-bit color TVs. Thus, the gradations between shades and different tones in onscreen content present a far greater degree of realism to the viewer.

With HDR TV standards, things also get a bit more complicated than the above. For starters, 4K HDR TVs don’t actually need to be able to display all of the colors in a 10-bit signal, they just need to be capable of processing them for the sake of delivering an image based on that information. This is a sort of indirect “10-bit color capacity”.

Furthermore, in HDR TV standards, a given television has to also manage what’s called P3 color, or at least 90% of it. P3 refers to the P3 part of the total color spectrum, which is quite a bit larger than the older Rec.709 color spectrum used in previous 4K TV models.

On 20/08/2017 at 10:36 AM, Evolution1503565405 said:

Back on topic -

For those that are researching the A1 and have found this thread - I implore you to compare this TV in store before purchasing it. Good luck.

I have compared all the OLED's and for me Panasonic is a hands down winner.It took me less than 2 min to fall in love with how well it handled the mixed content i threw at it.But Houston we have a problem!To get that wonderful picture they are trying to dupe consumers into paying for dud sound and styling features that i don't need.Sony and Panasonic not having a decent midrange option means they are a year away from challenging the LG C7 as the best TV money can buy.$2k more and you have the best TV more money can buy and you don't have dolby vision but what the hell you can sell that and buy Panasonic's model next year that will have it.

1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

I have compared all the OLED's and for me Panasonic is a hands down winner.It took me less than 2 min to fall in love with how well it handled the mixed content i threw at it.But Houston we have a problem!To get that wonderful picture they are trying to dupe consumers into paying for dud sound and styling features that i don't need.Sony and Panasonic not having a decent midrange option means they are a year away from challenging the LG C7 as the best TV money can buy.$2k more and you have the best TV more money can buy and you don't have dolby vision but what the hell you can sell that and buy Panasonic's model next year that will have it.

buy and sell TVs ? they have cr@p resale ?? and there is nothing to suggest panasonic will ever take on DV. from what I've seen there is no DV over the horizon for them....

3 minutes ago, al said:

buy and sell TVs ? they have cr@p resale ?? and there is nothing to suggest panasonic will ever take on DV. from what I've seen there is no DV over the horizon for them....

They will be forced to if the market decides.It's not up to them it's the consumer that decides.

7 minutes ago, al said:

they have cr@p resale ??

Generally that's the case with LED LCD's, but old top model plasma's still hold value well and I have seen some 2nd hand OLED's going for 80% of paid price within 6 months of purchase.

JSmith :ninja:

2 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Generally that's the case with LED LCD's, but old top model plasma's still hold value well and I have seen some 2nd hand OLED's going for 80% of paid price within 6 months of purchase.

I have sold off LCD tv's at less than 12 months old and been happy with the prices i got,treated them as a short term rental using an interest free card.A less than 12 months old Panasonic OLED would be snaped up on gumtree within 24 hours.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:38 PM, IviewHD said:

Doesn't need a new thread.Mods please attach this to the OLED thread.

absolutely not, the SONY A1 OLED is a market leader and deserves its own thread

what a peculiar thing to suggest

9 minutes ago, duke said:

Myer sold them at that price soon after they came out in their 20% off sale.

my OP had it listed at the RRP,

56 minutes ago, mello yello said:

absolutely not, the SONY A1 OLED is a market leader and deserves its own thread

what a peculiar thing to suggest

But isn’t it just a rebadged LG?

13 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

The panel is from LG, yes. But everything else, including the software (which is JUST as important as the panel), is Sony.

This is the same for LCD TVs - ie some Hisense TVs use Samsung panels.

18 minutes ago, Qwertyqaz said:

Basically yes, as is the Pana, Phillips and B & O.

I would have thought the processing on the Sony and Pana would have been better than the LG, however flatpanelshd are saying there is very little difference between all of them... think they're getting sick of testing the same panel over and over again.

The only thing different for the Sony is the new tilted stand and the audio coming from the acoustic panel system.

9 minutes ago, ~Spyne~ said:

This is the same for LCD TVs - ie some Hisense TVs use Samsung panels.

:laugh: Kogan carry on like this too...

Yeah, nah... not really. There are different grades of panel produced... Samsung don't make all their own panels either. I do agree the way the panel is driven can make all the difference, but we're not seeing much difference between the current OLED's are we?

When will 77 inch OLED's be 6k?          

8 minutes ago, metal beat said:

When will 77 inch OLED's be 6k?          

Probably will take while for the Sony to get anywhere near that... still USD $15000. :ohmy:

15 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Probably will take while for the Sony to get anywhere near that... still USD $15000. :ohmy:

And that on super special.  Retail is US 20k

1 minute ago, metal beat said:

Retail is US 20k

:ohmy:

I don't want to have to dislike your post mate... :D;)

On 30/10/2017 at 7:58 PM, JSmith said:

Basically yes, as is the Pana, Phillips and B & O.

I would have thought the processing on the Sony and Pana would have been better than the LG, however flatpanelshd are saying there is very little difference between all of them... think they're getting sick of testing the same panel over and over again.

The only thing different for the Sony is the new tilted stand and the audio coming from the acoustic panel system.

Thanks to hundreds of hours of research by guys like Vincent Teoh from HD TV test all the wild predictions of Panasonic and Sony Oled's being superior to LG because "They will have better processing" has been debunked.In fact the LG holds it's own or bests them in almost every test know to man,woman or child.So in the landscape of the 2017 Oled market if you don't need a TV with a intergrated sound bar or want to pay extra for a screen that uses the front glass to act like a soundbar then the LG C7 is the hands down winner of 2017 tv of the year.It's not even a contest as it wins by so far and check out Vincent Teoh's video about how the latest firmware for LG 2017 OLED has improved it's near black performance to find out things have only got better for LG.

1 hour ago, IviewHD said:

Thanks to hundreds of hours of research by guys like Vincent Teoh from HD TV test all the wild predictions of Panasonic and Sony Oled's being superior to LG because "They will have better processing" has been debunked.In fact the LG holds it's own or bests them in almost every test know to man,woman or child.So in the landscape of the 2017 Oled market if you don't need a TV with a intergrated sound bar or want to pay extra for a screen that uses the front glass to act like a soundbar then the LG C7 is the hands down winner of 2017 tv of the year.It's not even a contest as it wins by so far and check out Vincent Teoh's video about how the latest firmware for LG 2017 OLED has improved it's near black performance to find out things have only got better for LG.

That is awesome news, just shows paying premium for these brands makes no sense.

The age old belief that Sony makes the best TVs is long gone.

I'd never buy an LG again after my last TV. A1 is fantastic IMO.

2 minutes ago, duke said:

It does comes down to previous experience.

I for one have 2 LG led tvs both same model but different sizes.

Both were bought second hand  about 4 years back and have worked flawlessly to date.

17 minutes ago, duke said:

So is my LG C7 man.I am averaging 40 GB a day in 4K streaming services with dolby vision and people out there ask how does FTA look?The answer is not like dolby vision, more like septic tank vision.LMFAO