SONY A1 - OLED

7 minutes ago, cwt said:

Its a trade off the ips panel for vertical horizontal configurations when you need the wide viewing angle for your seating Blackman ;)

''The vertical viewing angle is different than the horizontal one. It's close to the same for VA LCD TVs, but for IPS, the blacks lighten more at a vertical angle than they do horizontally, a phenomenon known as 'IPS Glow.' ''

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

As Al has said its important not to make blanket statements because of panel types differentials ...

well IPS are a little worse off then..YES, YES, and this is why I was very particular on this to a point of madness. I love it when things go to plan

Edited by Blackman

2 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

well IPS are a little worse off then..YES, YES, and this is why I was very particular on this to a point of madness. I love it when things go to plan

am very particularl with this kind of thing too. these kind of things you do once and do it right

Its very good to hear wiht your telly and i am glad things worked out just as wanted :) 

1 minute ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

See what happens when I go tomorrow to view a 75 inch Lg up the wall, too high on the wall. Talk about OLEd's how do OLEDs go about this issue?

what issue ?

8 minutes ago, al said:

what issue ?

That issue .

Its a Long story and I brek it down

1/ wife friend buy a the lates 75 inch Samsung and has a loung at 75 deg. (they have a washed out Picture.

2/ they return it.

3/ they get a 75 inch LG IPS,

4/ I told them DO NOT PUT IT on the wall at the same height of the samsun

5/ They came to my house ans shown them the 86 inch Lg and the reaon why is on the wall so low.

6/ Tommorw I'm going over at night to watch A HDR movie there.

7 I can see tears

Edited by Blackman

7 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

What happens if OLED Tv's are high or to low on the wall. Mainly to high. Now I know that OLED have a very good viewing angle but nothing is said about the height of them . do they degrade the PQ if the tv is to high?

I havent seen any viewing angle issues with OLED...likes of jb plonk them high...they plonk them low... and they also have them at the right hight... :D 

its not like baby bear "just right" situation...

1 minute ago, al said:

I havent seen any viewing angle issues with OLED...likes of jb plonk them high...they plonk them low... and they also have them at the right hight... :D 

its not like baby bear "just right" situation...

One day they will make a OLED at 85 to 90 inch. I will but it if under 15k bucks. as long as I'm still alive.

1 hour ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

do they degrade the PQ if the tv is to high?

Nah mate... OLED is a self emissive display, i.e. each pixel produces it's own light. So viewing angles are a complete non-issue with OLED.

JSmith :ninja:

Looks nice on the wall at JB but the stand holds the screen 7 or 8 cm off the wall when it is wall mounted. If you were to put it on a full motion wall mount it would potentially be floating out a long way off the wall. The picture was very appealing though.

16 hours ago, Alien said:

Looks nice on the wall at JB but the stand holds the screen 7 or 8 cm off the wall when it is wall mounted. If you were to put it on a full motion wall mount it would potentially be floating out a long way off the wall. The picture was very appealing though.

an old photo,

but using an articulated mount, will see my pio kuro now sits about 300m off back wall,

16059817445_72aa9647c6_b.jpg

16059051042_fc0bcb3c14_b.jpg

bonus also with this is lamps to the side can act as back lighting,

so 7 - 8 cm off wall if wall mounted is not a bother at all, and indeed can be floating off there and we love it mounted that way,

Having seen the A1, the EZ1000 and the E7 lined up next to each other, I was not blown away by the Sony - In my opinion the Panasonic blows them both away when it comes to picture quality and refinement. While the sound through screen concept, and the demo where they showed a sound following a bird around the screen was a neat trick, I still felt it was gimmicky at best. The sound quality didn't blow me away either for as big a feature Sony is touting for this TV.

52 minutes ago, Evolution1503565405 said:

Having seen the A1, the EZ1000 and the E7 lined up next to each other, I was not blown away by the Sony - In my opinion the Panasonic blows them both away when it comes to picture quality and refinement. While the sound through screen concept, and the demo where they showed a sound following a bird around the screen was a neat trick, I still felt it was gimmicky at best. The sound quality didn't blow me away either for as big a feature Sony is touting for this TV.

Panasonic won't be supporting Dolby Vision though.

2 hours ago, Evolution1503565405 said:

Which at the end of the day really means stuff all. There are no 12bit OLED panels currently on the market.

I'm guessing you havnt seen Dolby vision on an LG Oled?... It is a more than subtle improvement over hdr10 on an OLED,  and I think all the major film studios except 1 have officially announced support.. 

18 minutes ago, gbickle1503560852 said:

I'm guessing you havent seen Dolby vision on an LG Oled?

I actually own an LG G6 - Having seen a couple of Dolby Vision films, I can't say the difference is very substantial, if at all. Dolby Vision content allows for up to 12 bit color, which would make a significant improvement, as you are probably aware that 2 bits is the difference between 1.07 billion colors and 68.7 billion. However, even if Dolby Vision is capable of 12 bit, today's TV panels are a maximum of 10 bit. You would be hard-pressed to see a difference in current TVs. Today's TV technology is still limited,  we can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12 bit color range.

Edited by Evolution

The smart money would wait for things to settle with HDR as we don't yet know if HDR10+ will get traction . This too has scene by scene metadata ; is not proprietary with dolbys licence fees and as mentioned is fine for todays 10 bit displays..

Similarly dolby has made its tech able to be software programmed to those soc's that have the processing power ; so a few surprises may be in store for those ce;s who don't mind paying the dolby licensing fees ? As seen with this article the original master whether bt2020 or a lesser colour space dci p3  [which is what we have now] can have a difference between the quality ; leaving aside any spec differences ;)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016/08/17/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision-new-tv-format-war/88914196/

8 hours ago, Evolution1503565405 said:

I actually own an LG G6 - Having seen a couple of Dolby Vision films, I can't say the difference is very substantial, if at all. Dolby Vision content allows for up to 12 bit color, which would make a significant improvement, as you are probably aware that 2 bits is the difference between 1.07 billion colors and 68.7 billion. However, even if Dolby Vision is capable of 12 bit, today's TV panels are a maximum of 10 bit. You would be hard-pressed to see a difference in current TVs. Today's TV technology is still limited,  we can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12 bit color range.

interesting point, i have quoted it in the following thread below as adds good context to other perspectives, could you add though which player you are utilising ? to complete the context and what discs/movies/media/sources you have experienced this so far,

So we have professional reviews comparing the DV disc to the HDR10 disc with the following observations:

Dolby Vision’s superior color and light management also produces a more refined contrast range. You feel aware of more subtle light variations in pretty much every part of every frame, regardless of whether you’re watching a dark or bright scene.

The DV versions of the Despicable Me releases also deliver a clear uptick in visible fine detail. This is probably the most unexpected benefit of Dolby’s format, but there’s just no question that every single frame of the DV image looks more refined and textured than it does in HDR10 mode on the same OLED screen.

Also startling is how much more dynamic images look in Dolby Vision on the Loewe OLED than they do in HDR10s. There’s markedly more punch in small HDR brightness peaks such as the white strip in Vector’s orange tracksuit and the numerous reflections in the Minion’s glasses and goggles.

And then the Fate of the Furious (C7 this time instead of the Loewe)

Colors look more natural and precise, there’s more subtle shading in color details (which has the effect of making many shots look sharper than they do in HDR10), and there’s usually a more natural, life-like feel to the contrast that further enhances image depth and detail.

Pausing any bright sequence in Dolby Vision and comparing it with the same shot in HDR10 readily exposed the differences as you toggle between the two. The differences didn’t appear quite as pronounced to my eyes as they were with the Despicable Me releases, but they’re still there, and they still mean that the film looks consistently more refined.

For the record, I used an Oppo 203 and LG OLED55C7 TV for the Dolby Vision testing, plus a Panasonic UB900 running into the same OLED TV for comparisons between Dolby Vision and HDR10. I even used two copies of the Fate Of The Furious so that I could more easily flick between the two.

So unless one  has two players in two different HDMI inputs on an OLED (one with the HDR10 disc, and one with the Dolby vision Disc) then pause the same frame and switch between them, I cant take Evolution's anecdotal "Having seen a couple of Dolby Vision films, I can't say the difference is very substantial, if at all" evidence seriously.

it is a fair point though that due to bit depth limitations of panels and that we have nothing capable of peak capabilities of DV.... so you aint going to take advantage of biggest advantages DV has. the main thing be taking advantage off is tone mapping....

and tone mapping we have a better handle on since early days...eg even with jvc projectors which natively handle things in 12 bit.... we have ways to map for excellent results. as the article says it comes back more to tellys and their handling of things, than anything, the sony a1 doesnt as yet support DV in anycase does it ? perhaps a discussion to review when it actually does ?

Conclusion

Dolby Vision can be considered the more advanced HDR format, but the lack of content and supported TVs is holding it back at the moment. HDR10 has the distinct advantage of having more content available and being supported on TVs with a higher peak brightness, effectively giving a better result in the end.

Ultimately, the difference between the two formats isn't that important. The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR (see our recommendations for the best HDR TVs). It’s still quite early days for HDR. Both formats have the ability to produce much more dynamic images than we are seeing on the best TVs today. The limitation is down to both the TV technology and the way the titles are mastered. We can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12 bit color range.

as the rtings article quotes

5998d8091603c_ScreenShot2017-08-20at10_29_25am.png.fae2f2b7d003986a2e86f51150974bb0.png

Edited by :) al

8 minutes ago, gbickle1503560852 said:

I cant take Evolution's anecdotal "Having seen a couple of Dolby Vision films, I can't say the difference is very substantial, if at all" evidence seriously.

I'm not here to preach to the converted. I'm simply stating facts about today's hardware limitations. When I say a couple of films, I mean the only 5 that have been released so far. If you think you see the difference (even though it's more than likely due to mastering) then all the more power to you.

My point still stands however - Dolby Vision is capable of 12 bit, today's TV panels are a maximum of 10 bit. Unfortunately, that's where we're at, and most defiantly likely why Panasonic haven't jumped on the Dolby Vision bandwagon yet.

I'm not going to say anymore on this topic now, as there is more than enough evidence backing my claims out there for those that look for it.

1 hour ago, al said:

interesting point, i have quoted it in the following thread below as adds good context to other perspectives, could you add though which player you are utilising ? to complete the context and what discs/movies/media/sources you have experienced this so far,

Thanks for your interest al, I'm currently using the UDP-203 as my main player. Movies I've seen are Despicable Me 1 & 2, Power Rangers, Resident Evil Vendetta and Fate of the Furious and a few other bits and pieces on offer through Netflix.

Back on topic -

For those that are researching the A1 and have found this thread - I implore you to compare this TV in store before purchasing it. Good luck.