SONY A1 - OLED

22 minutes ago, mwd said:

No contest to the Z9D if the Whirlpool Forums is anything to go on and you play and watch HDR content. 

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2618726

Surprisingly  the LG OLED won the best HDR TV category in the recent shootout.

Whilst Z9D is better for bright HDR content, the percentage of scenes that utilise that advantage is low compared to dark HDR or average brightness scenes.

That stand is a total fail, doesn't even allow the screen to sit vertical, and why would you what the bottom of the screen touching the surface the TV is sitting on?  Crazy and a classic case of fashion before function.

It can but its not ideal for that either.

Wall mounting is a silly idea IMHO, mount the TV at a height that looks appropriate, as you would a painting, and its too high to be viewed properly. Mount it low where in needs to be for viewing and it looks out of place.

I saw the Sony A1E last weekend at HN and i would say it's without doubt the most stunning looking TV i have ever seen.I agree with Owen however that they have totally put sexy styling before practical function seemingly to mimic a painting on an easel.Yes they have a styling point of difference to the other OLED's that might land them a few sales to the aesthetically minded consumer but most people would rather pay less money for the more practical option.

6 minutes ago, IviewHD said:

I saw the Sony A1E last weekend at HN and i would say it's without doubt the most stunning looking TV i have ever seen.I agree with Owen however that they have totally put sexy styling before practical function seemingly to mimic a painting on an easel.Yes they have a styling point of difference to the other OLED's that might land them a few sales to the aesthetically minded consumer but most people would rather pay less money for the more practical option.

i'd rather buy it without the floppy stand on the back and screen wobbling sound business. even if it was just a monitor panel. not sure it would have changed price though,

article below which is pretty balanced in pros and cons does say its priced same as mid range LF and pana equivalent so not like being sold at a premium :)

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/hands-on-sony-a1-ultra-hd-oled-20170810-gxt5v1.html

not that the stand business is such a bother for me specifically. if i were buying id just bolt it the wall mount we use. it would leave the TV floating in air. and at an eye level optimised for viewing as most people do tend to setup. so if stand such a bother ... make it irrelevant and wall mount it. which is what a lot of people tend to do anyways. making a lot safer too as less chance of tv flopping over which is indeed possible and does happen with large tvs just sitting on stands.

How many people wall mount a TV with the centre of the screen at eye height when seated, thats about 1m off the floor. VERY few in my experience because it looks odd. Wall mounted TV's are normally placed quite a bid higher then that which is far from ideal for viewing and a real problem for LCD, ask Blackman.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:40 PM, al said:

making a lot safer too as less chance of tv flopping over which is indeed possible and does happen with large tvs just sitting on stands.

Not if you actually follow the manufactures instructions and use the tether point, cant tip forward then.

19 hours ago, Owen said:

How many people wall mount a TV with the centre of the screen at eye height when seated, thats about 1m off the floor. VERY few in my experience because it looks odd. Wall mounted TV's are normally placed quite a bid higher then that which is far from ideal for viewing and a real problem for LCD, ask Blackman.

Yes Our lg 86 inch is mounted bull-eyed in the center of our eyes for my height and it GOOD No Grey Letterbox Bars now.

Just think my wifes friend that got rid of there Sumsung because you cannot see a picture (VA Panel) on the lounge @ 90 degrees now has the 2017 75 inch LG but they had a installer install it where the bottom of the TV is higher than you eyes whilst seating on the center lounge. FF Sake they will be greeted by WHITE Top Letterbox Bars. I told them, Told Them, Told them, for this LG it must be positioned on the wall where you eyes are on the middle of the TV height wise (Center lounge and the lounge at 90 Deg.)

Cant wait until I go over on the weekend. I even, even, Even, SHOWED SHOW Them on our TV, I repeated 10 times SHOWEEEEDDD them the reason why it has to be installed where your eyes are in the Middle.

Owen: Our LG the bottom of the TV is 16 inches off the floor

Edited by Blackman

B man fortunately oleds dont have the issues of poor viewing angle. and just like other screens can be setup wiht the recommendation of screen mounting at eye at somewhere between bottom of the screen to middle 3rd :) should be no bother wiht this with either of the oled screens. sticking on the wall shouldnt need re invention of your room to fit in :D 

as per thx recommendation,

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/verticalviewing.html

and also cedia,

Vertical Viewing Angles

The CEDIA recommendation, which is based on SMPTE guidance, is or no viewer to have an angle of greater than 15 degrees to the top or bottom of the screen. Typically this puts viewers eye’s at 1/3rd to 1/6th of screen height.

3 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Yes Our lg 86 inch is mounted bull-eyed in the center of our eyes for my height and it GOOD No Grey Letterbox Bars now.

Just think my wifes friend that got rid of there Sumsung because you cannot see a picture (VA Panel) on the lounge @ 90 degrees now has the 2017 75 inch LG but they had a installer install it where the bottom of the TV is higher than you eyes whilst seating on the center lounge. FF Sake they will be greeted by WHITE Top Letterbox Bars. I told them, Told Them, Told them, for this LG it must be positioned on the wall where you eyes are on the middle of the TV height wise (Center lounge and the lounge at 90 Deg.)

Cant wait until I go over on the weekend. I even, even, Even, SHOWED SHOW Them on our TV, I repeated 10 times SHOWEEEEDDD them the reason why it has to be installed where your eyes are in the Middle.

Owen: Our LG the bottom of the TV is 16 inches off the floor

LCD screens were invented as PC monitors.If you had told the people that invented them that one day dumb@sses would be buying these at sizes of 75 inches or bigger they would have looked at you like you was Jack Nicolson from one flew over the cuckoos nest.They are selling a technology that is dirt cheap to manufacture, blowing them up to unbelievable sizes when the design was to be viewed from strait in front and making a fortune cause consumers don't seem to care about quality.

2 hours ago, al said:

The CEDIA recommendation, which is based on SMPTE guidance, is or no viewer to have an angle of greater than 15 degrees to the top or bottom of the screen. Typically this puts viewers eye’s at 1/3rd to 1/6th of screen height.

From your link.

"The THX cinema standards have no references to a "best" or "optimal" vertical viewing angle."

If some people think looking up at the screen is "best" or "optimal" good luck to them, its not IMHO.

Edited by Owen

11 hours ago, Owen said:

From your link.

"The THX cinema standards have no references to a "best" or "optimal" vertical viewing angle."

If some people think looking up at the screen is "best" or "optimal" good luck to them, its not IMHO.

After Having the Hecto for 3 Years and now it in the Living Room (waiting for a New Lounge made of Material that is CAT PROOF) I say to myself How in the F... could I have the screen to HIGH!! yet the Hecto Projector is sitting on a cabinet only 8 inchs tall but the screen has to be high to get the exact measurement. correct. Watched The Footy Last Night on the Hecto and my neck now is clicking for looking up..

As for the Main TV room where the LG 86 is I will give you an Example. I sit on the lounge with my back against the rear of the Lounge, My head is straight,  my eyes are in the Middle as 50% not looking up and 50% not looking down. Now this is comfortable Viewing. How in the Hell could I have put up with the Hecto being so High.

14 hours ago, al said:

Vertical Viewing Angles

That to vague for the IPS Lg Tv.

If I had the LG 86 inch TV 2 inch higher (less than 15 deg) its NO GOOD, if I had the LG 2 inch lower its NO GOOD so by this you can see that this 86 Inch IPS LG is Critical on its height.

Funny thing about this They all say IPS Tv;'s are good to be View east and west but nothing is said about top and bottom PROBLEM and how high you need to install it.

Edited by Blackman

8 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

If I had the LG 86 inch TV 2 inch higher (less than 15 deg) its NO GOOD, if I had the LG 2 inch lower its NO GOOD so by this you can see that this 86 Inch IPS LG is Critical on its height.

Funny thing about this They all say IPS Tv;'s are good to be View east and west but nothing is said about top and bottom PROBLEM and how high you need to install it.

because nothing at all to do with IPS TVS. IPS is not relevant to OLEDs e.g. in this thread or non LCD TVs, projectors and such

its about viewing angle as to what is comfortable for the viewer,  which is wht they suggest the no greater than 15 deg to top or bottom of he screen which as they say "Typically this puts viewers eye’s at 1/3rd to 1/6th of screen height."

similarly for THX, 

"From the THX specifications for  movie theaters: 

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vertical viewing angle is measured at seated eye height from the front row center seat to the top of the tallest projected image. SMPTE standard EG-18-1994 notes that: 

"for most viewers physical discomfort begins when this angle exceeds 35 degrees. We strongly recommend that the layout of the auditorium adheres to this engineering guideline." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guideline would be difficult to exceed in a home theater, with most vertical viewing angles in the 15-20 degree range. See the diagram below for an example.

The THX cinema standards have no references to a "best" or "optimal" vertical viewing angle.  However, normal human vision's optimal cone of vision has a radius of approximately 15 degrees. From this I'd suggest that anything in the range of 10-20 degrees would be good. With larger values causing increased eye and neck strain."

if unclear suggest look at the diagram in the link,

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/verticalviewing.html

as they say there should be no bother achieving this in the home,

8 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Its a trade off the ips panel for vertical horizontal configurations when you need the wide viewing angle for your seating Blackman ;)

''The vertical viewing angle is different than the horizontal one. It's close to the same for VA LCD TVs, but for IPS, the blacks lighten more at a vertical angle than they do horizontally, a phenomenon known as 'IPS Glow.' ''

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

As Al has said its important not to make blanket statements because of panel types differentials ...