No Dolby surround on Fetch

Hi All

long time member, first time poster.......

i have just set up my fetch tv mighty which is going to my Yamaha AV with a Jaycar splitter between to remove the handshake issue.

i am not receiving any Dolby surround from any of the fetch channels.  I have the unit set up as 5.1 in sound settings.

when watching Netflix it comes up as Dolby on the amp, switch back to streaming channels removes the Dolby and only shows PCM.

Any suggestions?

cheers

jon

1 hour ago, jgfisher said:

Hi All

long time member, first time poster.......

i have just set up my fetch tv mighty which is going to my Yamaha AV with a Jaycar splitter between to remove the handshake issue.

i am not receiving any Dolby surround from any of the fetch channels.  I have the unit set up as 5.1 in sound settings.

when watching Netflix it comes up as Dolby on the amp, switch back to streaming channels removes the Dolby and only shows PCM.

Any suggestions?

cheers

jon

jon am using a splitter as well ( have to due to fetch having a screwed hdmi implementation that doesnt handle passing through AVRs)

and no you will not get much past PCM for FTA TV but not because of anything to do with the fetch as such. its just our broadcasters that dont do much past pcm. in early days of HD TV am talking 2004 !!! we got some DD5.1 broadcasts with the hd tv test loops. some broadcasts with some select programming e.g. harry potter movies or other special broadcasts would do DD5.1 but i havent seen any for a long time

i will explore now mention things. but again dont think anything to do with the fetch its the broadcasters I suspect. the fetch only has two options form memory stereo or multichannel.

ps i use my marantz processor to upsample which gives a great enveloping result using dolby surround using 7.1.4 speakers :D

4k hdcp 2.2 thing. it cant handshake through a "repeater" due to failing on fetch part to consider people would ever run through an avr. i.e. they expect to run direct through to display. without the splitter will either get a black screen or hdcp error. and this is even if hooking up a non 4k hdcp screen which you would expect would just pass 1080p through to.

the splitters unknowingly e.g. the jay car, eBay, comsol office works one all act as hdcp strippers and hence allow passing of signal. have not tried any 4k content off fetch though so no idea how the splitter interact in those cases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2017 at 11:57 AM, betty boop said:

4k hdcp 2.2 thing. it cant handshake through a "repeater" due to failing on fetch part to consider people would ever run through an avr. i.e. they expect to run direct through to display. without the splitter will either get a black screen or hdcp error. and this is even if hooking up a non 4k hdcp screen which you would expect would just pass 1080p through to.

the splitters unknowingly e.g. the jay car, eBay, comsol office works one all act as hdcp strippers and hence allow passing of signal. have not tried any 4k content off fetch though so no idea how the splitter interact in those cases.

Al, I'm getting the NBN hooked up on Monday 21st Jan. and Optus threw in a Fetch Mighty box to sweeten the deal. I bought one of those Jaycar hdmi splitters having heard about the handshake issues. My question is do all devices have to be switched off before making the connections? And then powered up once all hdmi cables are in place?

Edited by illusion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, illusion said:

Al, I'm getting the NBN hooked up on Monday 21st Jan. and Optus threw in a Fetch Mighty box to sweeten the deal. I bought one of those Jaycar hdmi splitters having heard about the handshake issues. My question is do all devices have to be switched off before making the connections? And then powered up once all hdmi cables are in place?

hi illusion. with hdmi definitely its recommended to never hot swap. been instances where people have taken hdmi boards out. so yeah I would switch everything off. hook everything up and hopefully all works :D

great news optus is still throwing in the the fetch mighty gratis :) mines worked no problems since had it. so no doubt be all good for you :)

14 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hi illusion. with hdmi definitely its recommended to never hot swap. been instances where people have taken hdmi boards out. so yeah I would switch everything off. hook everything up and hopefully all works :D

great news optus is still throwing in the the fetch mighty gratis :) mines worked no problems since had it. so no doubt be all good for you :)

Thank you Al, :thumb:I will let you know how I get on next Monday with the setup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2019 at 6:15 PM, betty boop said:

Hi Al, I had the NBN connected on Monday, everything connected and working well.

I installed the Fetch Mighty and I didn't need to use the HDMI splitter I had bought. Fetch must have addressed the 4k hdcp 2.2 issues with a firmware recently.

Maybe I put the splitter up for grabs in the classifieds?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, illusion said:

Hi Al, I had the NBN connected on Monday, everything connected and working well.

I installed the Fetch Mighty and I didn't need to use the HDMI splitter I had bought. Fetch must have addressed the 4k hdcp 2.2 issues with a firmware recently.

Maybe I put the splitter up for grabs in the classifieds?

ah good stuff. can just return the splitter illusion if not needing it :) they'll take back no question :)