Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used Control 4 for their Home Audio and Visual.

I plan on having a 7.2.4 Atmos setup in my Home Theatre running from a Marantz SR7010 with a JVC Projector. My loungeroom will have another Marantz SR7010 running a 5 channel in ceiling surround sound and than using the other 2 zones within the amp run my Kitchen/Dining speakers and Alfresco speakers. Planning on running it all through Control 4 and wanting any suggestions or recommendations before I go through with this from people that have first hand experience using this system.

Thanks

I've used it before in a cinema room i installed at a retirement home. The app is simple enough for the elderly residents to navigate and the staff there love how simple it is to. I personally do not supply Control4 but my programmer does. It's very expandable also so you're not just limited to your cinema room and AV gear. Sonos, lighting etc can also be done via the app  

4 minutes ago, brodricj said:

I wouldn't go there....every minor tweak you need to do to the C4 installation will require a tech service call. = expensive.

Any suggestions for something similar? I need the ease of use for the wife and kids when I'm not home to do it for them. 

On 8/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, brodricj said:

I wouldn't go there....every minor tweak you need to do to the C4 installation will require a tech service call. = expensive.

This is 100% true and can be a real pain if you're not the C4 installer. If you've a cinema room with a set amount of devices you want to use it shouldn't be a major issue

We still don't know what he's trying to achieve because he hasn't spelled it out yet.

To be clear, as an end user you are totally locked out from making any programming changes in C4. Which is why I will never buy it.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, brodricj said:

We still don't know what he's trying to achieve because he hasn't spelled it out yet.

To be clear, as an end user you are totally locked out from making any programming changes in C4. Which is why I will never buy it.

To be fair (to Control4), you're not the intended market/customer. Control4 is designed to be setup by a professional for non power-users.

It is set and forget and generally a tech can diagnose and fix most things remotely. With your tech ability @brodricj, you most certainly don't want to be locked out of managing it all yourself so this platform is not for you. Hundreds of thousands of applications around the world though are highly successful and in most cases, once setup correctly, it just works for the end user.

I myself have been contemplating a system for a few years as most of my house is "smart" already.

For the same reasons though, I'm going down the ELAN route now.

Sorry gents flat out.

its all about a set and forget type system that is reliable and easy to use interface for the wife. I haven't got the time or skills to set it up myself but yeah. That is why i was looking at control 4. If you have other suggestions than feel free to let me know. 

Thanks again

As i said in the opener i have 2 marantz amps one running 7.2.4 in my theatre room with a jvc projector, foxtel, set top box, 4k bluray player and playstation going through the amp. Than the second amp will run my loungeroom tv with 5.1 surround ceiling speakers and also running 2 seperate zones aswell. This will have foxtel and bluray plugged in. 

I want the ability to use a single remote or app to control all audio and visual, single one click that turns on the necessary components. For instance watch foxtel in theatre and it turns the amp on with the necessary output selected, the projector on and foxtel box. I know control 4 can do all of that is there something else with a similar interface with ease of use. 

Controlling his Cinema, a few zones with perhaps Sonos I'd say by the sounds of his OG post. Control4 will do that a piece of piss plus you can add more onto it later. Yes...it's not designed for the end user to mess around with which isn't a bad thing because 95% of call outs to open end control systems is from users messing with the settings. If C4 wasn't user friendly or for the customer then why are so many big home cinema suppliers installing it?

1 minute ago, brodricj said:

In two words. Service calls.

Yeah....so you're saying their grand pan is to install a system half arsed so they can then return multiple times to charge the customer more? Sorry mate that's not how it works. If one of my integrators installs push, elan or C4 and it stuffs up they return to fix it out of their own time and pocket. Unless the customer has physically messed with the setup it should not just simply fail...and you can't just charge a customer for your failed programming mistake either bud. Doesn't work like that 

• Administrator
Sorry gents flat out.
its all about a set and forget type system that is reliable and easy to use interface for the wife. I haven't got the time or skills to set it up myself but yeah. That is why i was looking at control 4. If you have other suggestions than feel free to let me know. 
Thanks again

If you can afford it, then this exactly what you'll get. Set and forget.
If you're into tweaking - it's not for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Administrator
End users are not Control 4 customers, Control 4 dealers are their customers.

That's got nothing to do with helping the OP with their question.

It's the fact of having 2 marantz remotes, 2 foxtel remotes, a tv remote, projector remote, 2 dvd remotes its all abit messy. Than the wife having to remember which input is what. It's more for her than me. Last house had a simple tv with foxtel and dvd player on surround sound and that was a pain in the ass and i was getting calls about which input is what. All about user friendliness I don't want to be investing the money i am and not have my wife use it because she doesn't know what to press. 

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

If you can afford it, then this exactly what you'll get. Set and forget.
If you're into tweaking - it's not for you.

Thanks mate.

I have no idea on tweaking and am happy for something that does what i need consistently. All about user friendliness for the wife really. Just open to suggestions on anything that is better than control 4 really. 

• Administrator

Control4 is not the only automation system around, but they are the market leader and have the widest range of compatibility and drivers. You can easily build upon the system and expand it as your needs change, but you will need to find a good local integrator/programmer.

1 minute ago, Camo1151990 said:

Thanks mate.

I have no idea on tweaking and am happy for something that does what i need consistently. All about user friendliness for the wife really. Just open to suggestions on anything that is better than control 4 really. 

Push controls (bitwise), control 4, RTi there's a heap mate.

Push is a good system and what it can control is growing by the day. Control4 integrates with so much already. Really it will come down to which interface you prefer, which integrator you choose and your budget. I know a lot of good integrators but there's also a heap of rubbish ones out there.

27 minutes ago, SUPCIN said:

Yeah....so you're saying their grand pan is to install a system half arsed so they can then return multiple times to charge the customer more? 

No. Installing a system that requires a chargeable service call to make an owner requested change to the configuration.

1 minute ago, brodricj said:

No. Installing a system that requires a chargeable service call to make an owner requested change to the configuration.

Of course it does....it's an alteration to the programming you've originally chosen???

If I install something for a customer at their request then a week later they want it moved or replaced they pay. 

5 minutes ago, SUPCIN said:

Push controls (bitwise), control 4, RTi there's a heap mate.

Push is a good system and what it can control is growing by the day. Control4 integrates with so much already. Really it will come down to which interface you prefer, which integrator you choose and your budget. I know a lot of good integrators but there's also a heap of rubbish ones out there.

Yeah mate, I have seen push by clipsal and much preferred Control 4's interface. I have been quoted from Lifestyle store in Sydney. They have showed me it all in store and i really liked it. I am hoping there integrator knows what he is doing and there setup in store is very good. Price wise seems quite reasonable aswell. Thanks for the advice anyway.