Jvc x30 lamp light flashing

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pop, it just suddenly went dark. I do have to mention I hadn't used it for like 2 years and then started to use it again when I had set up my room and that was only like 2 months ago. Also since I had started using it again I did notice a couple of times while watching it that it would go blank or for a second or so then the picture would come back. Does that sound like the lamp was going? I hope it's just the lamp and not anything else. 

Not sure why you would see a blank or black flash.  Could be a sign, I've never seen that though.  Normally lamps at end of life get yellowish around the edges of the screen.  Most noticeable on full white fields.  

If it didn't pop, then you should be OK to plug-n-play a new lamp.  I'd still change the air filter and give any vents a vacuum to rid any built up dust.

Couldnt decide where to order myprojectorlamps, justprojectorlamps or ozlamps. In the end Ozlamps seemed the cheapest. They all seem to have the option of original lamp in a generic housing which is the option i went with. I noticed that justprojectorlamps seem the only ones that have original lamps and housing straght from JVC? but they are pricey in comparison.

Hopefully ozlamps is reliable and good :). I got too scared of getting just the lamp and using my own housing as the ozlamps guy seemed to think its not recommended unless you are a tech and the warranty they provide if you use your own housing is only 90 days instead of 180 days if i buy the lamp and housing from them.

On 29/07/2017 at 2:02 PM, lonewolf1503560131 said:

I am thinking the black flashes may have been hdcp or hdmi issues. So may not be connected. 

So I can use a vacuum on the external air vents? Is it safe? 

Just open the suction valve on the hose if your cleaner has that or don't make a seal and let the air just take away any dirt, fluff etc.  If you have one of those clip on brushes, use that.  It will prevent you from making a full seal and it also helps reduce scratching the shiny plastic case.    

the issue is the dust is actually like inside the vented area on another vent or something. Like its an inch or 2 inside from where i can get at it. I can only see it through the vents on the corners of the projector. Hard to explain, I dont think the vents open so i cant reach through the vents and the vacuum isnt strong enough to suck it with a gap of an inch or 2. I could maybe try poking through a small brush if i can get one to fit through the holes but not sure thats safe and that might distribute the dust internally..

Yes the dust tends to build up and pack in tight.  A small brush might be what you need.  However, you will want to have the vacuum cleaner going so it can suck out this dirt rather than let it fall inside somewhere.  

Hopefully they can get parts quickly :(, I did buy a Epson EH-TW9000W second hand a year or so ago and never used it as i had the JVCs anyway (sadly i gave my older JVC HD550 to my bro so thats no longer available for me to use) but i can use the Epson in the interim period while the JVC is being repaired. Hopefully it works, I never even tried it since buying it second hand...story of my life :(

10 hours ago, Owen said:

Its likley the ballast (lamp power supply) has failed.

Is that a part of the actual lamp housing or in the projector itself?  

I've seen so many people just replace a lamp (only) to a save a few dollars and not replace the entire unit.  

Edited by MarkTecher

I was told about this place in Castle Hill called Westview Electronics, so i contacted them and they said its minimum 198$ for them to diagnose the issue and attempt a fix.

I have also contacted JVC directly as i am not sure if this place is the best service centre or if they have others closer to me. But they havent gotten back to me yet.

They said when they fix it, the 198$ will go towards that too and if all up it costs more than 198$ then i need to pay the difference but if it costs less than 198$ then i still have to pay 198$ as that is their minimum price to diagnose etc. IT did sound a bit high to me but considering it will need parts and labour to fix anyway then its not as bad unless its just a capacitor.....