My jvc x30 just stopped working. Standby and warning lights are solid red and the lamp light flashes orange twice at a time. Is it just a lamp replacement or is it something worse. Worried it might be something worse as I don't have my spare jvc hd550 anymore as a replacement :(

Did you hear a pop or did the lamp just go out?  

These are not like DLP where if the lamp explodes it can take out the colour wheel.  

No pop, it just suddenly went dark. I do have to mention I hadn't used it for like 2 years and then started to use it again when I had set up my room and that was only like 2 months ago. Also since I had started using it again I did notice a couple of times while watching it that it would go blank or for a second or so then the picture would come back. Does that sound like the lamp was going? I hope it's just the lamp and not anything else. 

Not sure why you would see a blank or black flash.  Could be a sign, I've never seen that though.  Normally lamps at end of life get yellowish around the edges of the screen.  Most noticeable on full white fields.  

If it didn't pop, then you should be OK to plug-n-play a new lamp.  I'd still change the air filter and give any vents a vacuum to rid any built up dust.

I am thinking the black flashes may have been hdcp or hdmi issues. So may not be connected. 

So I can use a vacuum on the external air vents? Is it safe? 

Bah looks like the bulb from the  hd550 won't fit my x30. I thought they used the same lamp. Where's the best place to buy lamps?

Is it easy to just get the lamp and change it in the housing module? I don't really want to do soldering etc. can you just click it on or something or does it require some wiring and things?

Couldnt decide where to order myprojectorlamps, justprojectorlamps or ozlamps. In the end Ozlamps seemed the cheapest. They all seem to have the option of original lamp in a generic housing which is the option i went with. I noticed that justprojectorlamps seem the only ones that have original lamps and housing straght from JVC? but they are pricey in comparison.

Hopefully ozlamps is reliable and good :). I got too scared of getting just the lamp and using my own housing as the ozlamps guy seemed to think its not recommended unless you are a tech and the warranty they provide if you use your own housing is only 90 days instead of 180 days if i buy the lamp and housing from them.

On 29/07/2017 at 2:02 PM, lonewolf1503560131 said:

I am thinking the black flashes may have been hdcp or hdmi issues. So may not be connected. 

So I can use a vacuum on the external air vents? Is it safe? 

Just open the suction valve on the hose if your cleaner has that or don't make a seal and let the air just take away any dirt, fluff etc.  If you have one of those clip on brushes, use that.  It will prevent you from making a full seal and it also helps reduce scratching the shiny plastic case.    

the issue is the dust is actually like inside the vented area on another vent or something. Like its an inch or 2 inside from where i can get at it. I can only see it through the vents on the corners of the projector. Hard to explain, I dont think the vents open so i cant reach through the vents and the vacuum isnt strong enough to suck it with a gap of an inch or 2. I could maybe try poking through a small brush if i can get one to fit through the holes but not sure thats safe and that might distribute the dust internally..

Yes the dust tends to build up and pack in tight.  A small brush might be what you need.  However, you will want to have the vacuum cleaner going so it can suck out this dirt rather than let it fall inside somewhere.  

Yeah thats what i was worried about, i will try to take a pic of it. I dont think i will be able to reach it either way sadly.

Suck out what you can.  If you can reduce the built up dirt, then that has to be an improvement on air flow over you had.  

I just replaced the lamp with the new one I bought and no go. Still the same problem. No noise besides the led going from green to the warning lights after 10-15 seconds. Sucks. So now I have to figure out where to take it for repairs 

Its likley the ballast (lamp power supply) has failed.

Hopefully they can get parts quickly :(, I did buy a Epson EH-TW9000W second hand a year or so ago and never used it as i had the JVCs anyway (sadly i gave my older JVC HD550 to my bro so thats no longer available for me to use) but i can use the Epson in the interim period while the JVC is being repaired. Hopefully it works, I never even tried it since buying it second hand...story of my life :(

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Owen said:

Its likley the ballast (lamp power supply) has failed.

Is that a part of the actual lamp housing or in the projector itself?  

I've seen so many people just replace a lamp (only) to a save a few dollars and not replace the entire unit.  

Edited by MarkTecher

I replaced the whole unit, so i think the ballast is separate from the lamp housing, I presume its what the lamp housing power connects to.

So off to the service agent now.  And I have no idea who is the service techs for these in Sydney.   

I was told about this place in Castle Hill called Westview Electronics, so i contacted them and they said its minimum 198$ for them to diagnose the issue and attempt a fix.

I have also contacted JVC directly as i am not sure if this place is the best service centre or if they have others closer to me. But they havent gotten back to me yet.

$198 just to look at it sounds a bit steep.  I'd hope that includes parts and labor.  And umm, yeah, attempt to fix...      

I do hope JVC get back to you soon.   

They said when they fix it, the 198$ will go towards that too and if all up it costs more than 198$ then i need to pay the difference but if it costs less than 198$ then i still have to pay 198$ as that is their minimum price to diagnose etc. IT did sound a bit high to me but considering it will need parts and labour to fix anyway then its not as bad unless its just a capacitor.....

The local guys I know of here on Brissie south side usually charge $66 and then you pay the balance if you agree to their price to fix quote.