1SM Digital Reception issuses Sydney

g12345567

Anybody else experiencing audio dropouts on 1sm radio station with there digital radio?

There Internet stream is fine no dropouts. Yet when I listen to there digital stream on a DAB+ radio the signal drops out for a second or two a few times every minute and is very annoying to listen to.

On a portable radio it goes blank .. On a Yamaha stereo it makes an annoying buzzing noise every time the audio drops out several time a minute. Then resumes playing.

Have no audio issues with other digital radio stations. My signal is perfect as I am only roughly 750m as the crow flies from the digital repeater transmitter that can clearly be seen from my place.

Edited by g12345567

7 hours ago, lizclinton said:

It really is a dud technology DAB

To make a slight digression, the tech isn't the dud part rather, it's the way in which it is being used and presented to the listener, ie bandwidth and bitrates, better than FM but that is a whole 'nother can of worms which has been done past the point of death.
I think that because it isn't the main method of promulgation - as far as the broadcasters who also have a presence on the FM and/or AM band go - they are not monitoring their digital off air as much as they could so they are not particularly perturbed if it goes awry. And because the number of listeners is far less than the other methods (AM, FM) the number of listeners complaining is also far less, if there is any at all (complaining that is). The other thing is that some of them at least make it very difficult to talk to someone or to place a complaint with regard to technical issues.

As for the issue with regard to the initial post and then the follow up of the second it sounds like a transmitter problem. So do you complain to TXA or BA or whoever it is that looks after the actual site or do you try to submit a complaint to one of the stations using the facility?

2SM, FUN & ZOO have had these sporadic bursts of metallic noise for around two years now and I've noticed Triple M has started doing it over the past few weeks. No doubt AM and FM will always be the primary transmission method as DAB really struggles to cover the licence area and sound quality is still far better on FM though the AM stations do get a lift on DAB if your lucky enough to only ever travel in the Eastern half of the city.

• 3 weeks later...

DAB+ needs a lot of work in this country, more transmission towers wouldnt be a bad idea

its a shame because some of the stations are absolutely brilliant, like BUDDHA Radio, but no sooner do i get comfortable with no ads and steady music, ... it drops out, comes back, drifts out again ...