The Hunt for a 10m HDMI Cable for 4K@60Hz

6 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Yeah I can't quite figure out why it's not working on HDMI 1 on the PJ other than maybe it's just not compatible with ARC, as an experiment try HDMI 1 in on the PJ and HDMI 2 out of the Marantz.

Also just as a side note, make sure you are disconnecting power to all the devices when you're swapping HDMI connections.

Yes wonder something arc wise, I've never noticed that label on hdmi 1 before !

and good tip re power down on swapping hdmi. don't want to blow hdmi boards :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Yeah I can't quite figure out why it's not working on HDMI 1 on the PJ other than maybe it's just not compatible with ARC, as an experiment try HDMI 1 in on the PJ and HDMI 2 out of the Marantz.

Also just as a side note, make sure you are disconnecting power to all the devices when you're swapping HDMI connections.

Yea i am powering down every time i swap over so all good there.:) 

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, drummerboy01 said:

Yea i am powering down every time i swap over so all good there.:) 

Powering down or disconnecting from power?  Should really disconnect from power.

19 minutes ago, al said:

There is a difference with hdmi 1 & 2 on jvc with edid settings :) usually impacted by edid and older pre hdmi 2.0a hdcp 2.2 gear

@IMDave had s bit of grief there too might be able to share dramas and not sure if related to your issues :)

Yeah, if you are trying to use what JVC call "Legacy " equipment then the cable from the Marantz will need to feed into HDMI 2 with EDID B.

Both inputs are full bandwidth capable ( 18.2Gbps ) but EDID B only works with HDMI 2 .

Very obscure. Took a while to work that one out.

Not an issue for people who live on the bleeding edge of technology and all their equipment is HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 capable.

Still using my Oppo BDP83 which is Region free for my imported catalogue. Would save myself a lot of grief if I just did the mod for my 203, then I wouldn't need to swap backwards and forwards from A-->B-->A all the time.

1 minute ago, IMDave said:

Yeah, if you are trying to use what JVC call "Legacy " equipment then the cable from the Marantz will need to feed into HDMI 2 with EDID B.

Both inputs are full bandwidth capable ( 18.2Gbps ) but EDID B only works with HDMI 2 .

Its a bit sneaky Dave ' page 47 of my 7000 manual '

''images with resolution of 1920x1080 or lower may not be displayed when some old devices are used / in this case use hdmi 2  port and edid B'' ; to paraphrase 

1 hour ago, IMDave said:

Not an issue for people who live on the bleeding edge of technology and all their equipment is HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 capable.

Still using my Oppo BDP83 which is Region free for my imported catalogue. Would save myself a lot of grief if I just did the mod for my 203, then I wouldn't need to swap backwards and forwards from A-->B-->A all the time.

Thanks Again Dave. So what about HDMI 1 what is that used for as to get it to work i need to follow the setup in my second diagram on page 1 off this thread.

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Its a bit sneaky Dave ' page 47 of my 7000 manual '

''images with resolution of 1920x1080 or lower may not be displayed when some old devices are used / in this case use hdmi 2  port and edid B'' ; to paraphrase 

Yes that is def piece to the puzzle.:)

1 hour ago, IMDave said:

Dave, are you using HDMI 1 on your projector at all?

14 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Dave, are you using HDMI 1 on your projector at all?

No. A single ( low rez.not 18.2 Gbps capable) 10m cable feeding from my Marantz into HDMI 2. Works fine for 4k/24fps/ 4:2:2 as that only hits 8.9Gbps. Won't show the Oppo's Home screen menu in Auto because for some insane reason they chose to set that at a default 4:4:4 / 60fps. 

Wouldn't want to have to thread 2 cables through my ceiling cavity. Lol.

Guest EZYHD
12 hours ago, Kazz said:

Oh and also heard the good news today that EZY HD is now the Ruipro distrbutor for New Zealand as well.  :D

Yes correct KAZZ, Ruipro wanted us to handle NZ so we obliged, sent the press release over the pond yesterday, had a few dealer enquiries and a customer order this morning!, but gee its so expensive to post from OZ to NZ, so until a dealer takes up the mantle its faster if item not in stock and cheaper to have Ruipro courier it direct. 

For those not familiar with the Ruipro Fibre Optic 4K cables the reviews here say it all.

11 hours ago, IMDave said:

No. A single ( low rez.not 18.2 Gbps capable) 10m cable feeding from my Marantz into HDMI 2. Works fine for 4k/24fps/ 4:2:2 as that only hits 8.9Gbps. Won't show the Oppo's Home screen menu in Auto because for some insane reason they chose to set that at a default 4:4:4 / 60fps. 

Wouldn't want to have to thread 2 cables through my ceiling cavity. Lol.

Ok thanks Dave. Another fine thread with good info.:) Problem solved.

• Volunteer

My Ruipro cable arrived this morning, thanks Keith.  :)

IMG_1946.thumb.JPG.a24d4b87440bf9c7feedb03b69fcf0e6.JPGIMG_1947.thumb.JPG.cfb214a558eab9c161f5130605154996.JPG

Finally got home tonight and ran the cable around the room temporarily so I could give it a run.  Changed all of the Oppo settings so that it would run at max bandwidth and the Ruipro passed with flying colours.

IMG_1948.thumb.JPG.09f8139e16eadd4730f08857644ea1da.JPG

The final test for tonight was to pop in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K UHD which runs at 60FPS and again the Ruipro had absolutely no issues.  :D

IMG_1949.thumb.JPG.5fecfc83bd211f868ece3a4cd9932d24.JPG

So I'd have to say I'm pretty stoked that this cable is doing what it should, I'll run it for a couple of weeks in it's temporary position and then it'll go up the wall (in conduit) and through the roof.

For anyone else getting the Ruipro be sure to check the direction that you run it as it's not bi-directional, the ends are marked with "source" & "display" so you shouldn't go wrong.  :D

• Volunteer

My Ruipro cable arrived this morning, thanks Keith.  :)

IMG_1946.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

Finally got home tonight and ran the cable around the room temporarily so I could give it a run.  Changed all of the Oppo settings so that it would run at max bandwidth and the Ruipro passed with flying colours.

IMG_1948.JPG

The final test for tonight was to pop in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K UHD which runs at 60FPS and again the Ruipro had absolutely no issues.  :D

IMG_1949.JPG

So I'd have to say I'm pretty stoked that this cable is doing what it should, I'll run it for a couple of weeks in it's temporary position and then it'll go up the wall (in conduit) and through the roof.

For anyone else getting the Ruipro be sure to check the direction that you run it as it's not bi-directional, the ends are marked with "source" & "display" so you shouldn't go wrong.  :D

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Is there a 15m Length cable that would work for 4K/HDR?

Yep Ruipro do a 15m  cable as well.

EZYHD carry 10, 15, 20 & 30m Ruipro cables that work for 4K/HDR.

• Like 1

great to see things come together for ezyhd to bring this to oz. I believe he is now also the sole NZ distributor as well. which his good all around as sure beats having to deal with overseas retailers and distributors direct.

10 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Another option - http://www.lindy.com.au/fibre-optic-hybrid-hdmi-cable-20m

I've only every used their cables so can't really opine as to whats better/worse......I've never had an issue with them

good s a local option Pete, however I wouldn't buy unless test proven and here was a solid return policy backing as many of us have found far too many cables really just not stacking up to what requirements of UHD are. the ruipro comes with that in independent testing by our friends overseas showing it passed with flying colours. can it still fail possibly but thats were having a local retailer that will back you up like ezyhd is good comfort.

another cable if wanting to just do 10m is the office works comsol 10m passive hdmi 4k uhd cable. and at $69 and with office works no questions asked return policy and amazing buy

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

a few of us have found to work no issue at all and wiht no failures, it works on the thick AWG principle and hence quite a thick cable over all so might not be suitable for all. but robust as well giving its contrstuciton so if running under in wall under house etc as I am no issues with running the cable and using in those conditions :) it maxes out at 10m though so over that the ruipro is THE solution for local buyers.

if can manage under 7m then there are premium certified hdmi cables which come with some surety they will work. however still there is possibility of failure i would also still only buy local with one of those :)

Guest Peter the Greek

Gee, ok....I ran a cheaper one (not Lindy) around that length for a future projector install....I'm going to be PISSED if it doesn't work....we have no crawl space, I'g going to have to take panels off the wall and ceiling......its finished ply, so not the end of the earth, but it'd be a massive job......eeeek

2 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

Gee, ok....I ran a cheaper one (not Lindy) around that length for a future projector install....I'm going to be PISSED if it doesn't work....we have no crawl space, I'g going to have to take panels off the wall and ceiling......its finished ply, so not the end of the earth, but it'd be a massive job......eeeek

Yeah, i got caught out before. Its painful.

The standard keeps changing so i ended making some accessible conduits for the next inevitable upgrade.

• Like 1