JVC x500 replacement lamp

Hi, I need a new bulb for my JVC X500R. There seems to be two choices, either on-line (eg pureflare, ozprojectorlamp) for about $300 or a JVC for $500.

Does anyone know if the on-line options (says original bulb in housing, so I assume the housing is not original) are worthwhile, or just suck it up and order the original from JVC?

Thanks

Michael

My one experience using a so-called "original" lamp in a BenQ wasn't impressive - definitely began to drop light output quicker than the factory lamp. Others have had good experiences with Pureglare etc.

Pureglare use the same globes, made by phillips, just the housing is different. But their 3 month warranty is a little unfair so you just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

I bought one through ozprojectorlamp late last year and returned it immediately because it was as bad as the original lamp in my X500 that I was replacing with 2,500 hrs!

IMHO, go JVC original.  I paid $590.

• 2 weeks later...

Better to pay a bit more and go with the safe option, I got a supposed original from pureglare  for a Sanyo z3000 a few years back, was much darker than the globe it was replacing with 2000 hours and markings were nothing like the original bulb. It went straight back, and I bought an original from manufacturer. Will be sticking to original for my X7000 when it comes time to replace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, here2rock1503559562 said:

How long does the lamp lasts after you start getting the warning? It is bright enough for me for the time being, done about 1900-2000 hours. 

I'm over 3000 hrs and still bright enough. It says it can last up to 4000hrs on low power mode or whatever it's called!! The warning is a little annoying though as there doesn't appear to be a way to switch it off permanently, without installing the new bulb.

Edited by michaelp2005
additional

SandS, You don’t need to tell it anything. It will continue to operate until it doesn’t. Mine is well over 4000 hours (not using currently so can’t give an exact hour so far) as I was using it as a big TV ie long use, only 1 startup per day. It’s the startups that kill the lamps, not the continuous hours

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe take a photo of the menu showing the hours before resetting. Just in case you sell it you have will proof of the hours used. Remember the hours are not just on the lamp, it's the whole projector too.

4 minutes ago, SandS said:

What sort of hours do you recommend before changing the lamp Rich ?

How many hours a year for the average user.  I've only got 1040 up.

There is no exact answer there. I've seen people get 5,000hrs and they only replace because the image has become too dim.. and that is to do with screen size and room environment too. Others are fearful of the lamp literally blowing up inside the projector and causing major damage, others worry the lamps will not be available down the track so want to keep a spare in case they need one.

@ 1040 hrs I wouldn't worry at this stage.

10 minutes ago, SandS said:

1000 hours is nothing. i would just check and monitor output, once can achieve at least say in order of 9-12FL in output wiht iris wide open you'd want to change lamps as really getting quite dim. we seem to be getting very long life from lamps with jvc these days. 4-5000 hours is the quoted also dont seem to be dropping much in use with the new series at least. 

I also know people who have been popping lamps in jvcs over 10 year period and old projector just keeps going so something can just keep using with just a new globe when needed :)

12 hours ago, SandS said:

I replaced mine after 2,500 hours with running the iris on full.  I had noticed a significant drop in PQ by then.  If you're running the iris on low or medium setting then you'll get longer.