Best Projector <$3000

Unfortunately the Sony hw40es I purchased from a member here is cactus (thanks again Mark for coming around to help). As such I need a projector... The wife has given me a $3,000 budget (shame I wasted $2,000 on the Sony, I would have been in 4k territory...).

Mark directed me to Todds hifi and they have offered an Optima HD50 for $2800, which is a good price and quite a nice projector. However I see Rio is selling the BenQ W3000 for $2000 which is also a good price, I can't demo the w3000 locally unfortunately.

Ill throw it to you guys, any other suggestions? Or opinions on the above?

Projector will be in a completely light controlled and dedicated room approx 3.6m thrown onto a 120" scope screen. I will need some lens shift and also provision to run anamorphic lens (need vertical zoom).

Edited by Kaishin

One thing to keep in mind.

Unless you plan to paint the theater room in some no reflective coating, EG flat black or dark curtains, then don’t get to brighter projector. 1500 lumens would be more than enough (My opinion) on your screen. 

The walls of most people’s house are painted in light pastels or even white paint.  Most paint we use has a Titanium oxide base. If you painted the room in white Titanium based paint, you could have walls with as much as 2:1 gain, in this case your walls may even be more capable to reflect light than the screen you are using.

So if you have a light colour room and a nice 3000 Lumen projector, there will be little to no real black on screen. It will be washed off by the wall reflecting back what the screen sent out.

PS a screen gain of 1:1 is derived by the ability of a sheet of pure magnesium carbonate perpendicular to the light to reflect light. If you do the same thing with a sheet of Titanium oxide the gain is something like 2.3:1.

Good to meet you the other day.  

The Optoma HD50 is actually a good projector and one of the few DLPs I have calibrated that actually displays REC709 at the proper x,y co-ordinates.  For a DLP, it has good blacks too.  

Given you have the MK3+C, are you into or considering 3D at all?  Because the BenQ's like W7000 and W7500 won't scale in 3D and why I never upgraded my W6000 once 3D came out with W6500.    

3 hours ago, Rural Cinema said:

You must have an understanding wife!!!!!:D 

2 hours ago, brodricj said:

Or a properly trained one...

Haha she is quite amazing, I wasn't allowed to have it in the house so we compromised and built a room outside of the main house.

1 hour ago, CAVX said:

Good to meet you the other day.  

The Optoma HD50 is actually a good projector and one of the few DLPs I have calibrated that actually displays REC709 at the proper x,y co-ordinates.  For a DLP, it has good blacks too.  

Given you have the MK3+C, are you into or considering 3D at all?  Because the BenQ's like W7000 and W7500 won't scale in 3D and why I never upgraded my W6000 once 3D came out with W6500.    

For some super bizarre reason 3D just doesn't work for me, I only see blurry images as opposed to actually seeing what people have described to me what it should look like, so 3D is not needed at all!
The colours on the HD50 there you calibrated were really nice and natural and the blacks were good too. I found the motion on this one very nice also. I noticed it did have some issues with 

3D is a bit of funny one.  You either like or you don't.  This is in part why it was rejected by the public.    

Sync is the biggest issue with the Optomas.  Not sure why, but they do take their time to sync.  

On 7/16/2017 at 2:57 PM, GoudaK said:

Unfortunately the Sony hw40es I purchased from a member here is cactus (thanks again Mark for coming around to help). As such I need a projector... The wife has given me a $3,000 budget (shame I wasted $2,000 on the Sony, I would have been in 4k territory...).

Mark directed me to Todds hifi and they have offered an Optima HD50 for $2800, which is a good price and quite a nice projector. However I see Rio is selling the BenQ W3000 for $2000 which is also a good price, I can't demo the w3000 locally unfortunately.

Ill throw it to you guys, any other suggestions? Or opinions on the above?

Projector will be in a completely light controlled and dedicated room approx 3.6m thrown onto a 120" scope screen. I will need some lens shift and also provision to run anamorphic lens (need vertical zoom).

I started my home theater journey at Todds Hifi and have done some work for Alan at his house. My Yammy speakers were purchased from Todd's and still going strong today. I can vouch for the company and have always been looked after by Todd's.That's all i can help you with Kaishin.