Nvidia Shield - Owners Thread

I purchased an Nvidea Shield last year on the basis of a forum discussion here and it is seriously one of the best HT investments I have made.  Talking to the guys on Saturday @yorac's place reminded me that there wasn't an owners thread, so here it is.

To kick it off I also noticed (over on OzBargain) that it is currently on sale at Amazon.com, so if you have been looking for a rock solid streamer (4k too) with great netflix and utube support you might want to jump on this.

Edited by Guest

Definitely the best, the only thing I didn't like was access to the whole Google play store. 

I've had mine for about 3 months now and the only complaint I have is that it doesn't pass through MVC files. Meaning no 3D mkv movies! This is a hassle because it means I still need to rely on my 3D bluray player to watch 3D content.

If I buy the NVidia Shield from Amazon and ship it to Australia do I get the Australian versions of streaming services (eg Netflix, Amazon etc)?  

In terms of video is it HDR/DV and HLG compatible?  And for audio does it do Atmos and/or DTS:X?

Cheers

blairy

18 hours ago, blairy said:

If I buy the NVidia Shield from Amazon and ship it to Australia do I get the Australian versions of streaming services (eg Netflix, Amazon etc)?  

In terms of video is it HDR/DV and HLG compatible?  And for audio does it do Atmos and/or DTS:X?

Cheers

blairy

Do you mean do you get the American library of Netflix and Amazon? Answer would be no.  Those services determine your geo location and apply the appropriate library. I'm not sure Amazon would even work.
If you were after the American library, you'd need to setup and tunnel a VPN through your router.

There's quite a few apps on the play store that are pretty good for it too. Pluto - which has an old school MTV type vibe to it, I find myself watching quite a bit of. It's basically another live streaming service. Totally free! There's a few others too. Most work. Some don't due to geo restrictions.

As far as I know, it passes through HDR no problems aswell as Atmos and DTSX.
It wont do 3D though!! Which is a total pain in the a**. If you're converting over to digital - this is definitely the way to go. The UI is pretty snappy and I haven't come accross any issues at all with it! Not one...

It's a great little box. Definitely get one. Look on ebay too! I got mine for around the same price and I didn't have to wait for it to arrive as they were located in Aus.

Edited by Dylan86.exe

playing old school ROM's is da bomb.

No VP9/2 so no Youtube in HDR. 

Also anybody with the 16gb, i would advise not to use it as a plex server. Even if using external storage via the shields usb port.

Server Data Requirements

When you set up libraries on your Plex Media Server, space is needed to store information such as the database, metadata about library items, posters and background art for the content, and more. The amount of space required can vary dramatically based both on how many items you have in your media libraries as well as what options you turn on for your server.

For instance, enabling the Video Preview Thumbnails feature can give you a richer experience in your apps, but the files that get generated for it can potentially require significant amounts of space if you have large libraries.

Tip!: If you're using the 16GB model NVIDIA SHIELD, we strongly recommend that you disable Video Preview Thumbnail generation.

Note: The server's data directory will always be placed on the original internal storage, even if you expand it with a USB drive or microSD card.

Anybody tried the Geforce Now game streaming?

Just wondering if it even works over here as there are no Aussie servers. i expect it would be laggy at best.

Might give the 1 month free trial a go over the weekend.

Edited by STAIN0

2 minutes ago, STAIN0 said:

No VP9/2 so no Youtube in HDR. 

Also anybody with the 16gb, i would advise not to use it as a plex server. Even if using external storage via the shields usb port.

Anybody tried the Geforce Now game streaming?

Just wondering if it even works over here as there are no Aussie servers. i expect it would be laggy at best.

Might give the 1 month free trial a go over the weekend.

Geforce now works quite well over ethernet. Only a little bit of lag. Don't bother with wifi. I found the lag pretty bad.

Thanks man. will definitely give it a go then :) 

Yer I try to wifi as little as possible.

Convenient for phones and tablets that's all.

Looking at using Nvidia shield as both movie and music streamer by using Kodi.

The question is will it work the same as my HTPC where I can stream movies by using HDMI passthrough to AVR but for Music I use USB out into Klein DAC into CD analog input of AVR.

So does the Nvidia Shield support audio out via USB? 

Just got myself one of these, has anybody set up a tuner on it yet? It doesn't recognise my PS3 playtv tuner that worked with libreelec on my other box.

I freaken love this little thing.

• RetroArch - 1000's of old school roms, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, N64, Wii, WiiU, Gamecube, Sega, Megadrive, Sega CD, Suturn, Dreamcast, NeoGeo, Arcade etc.
  • Arc Browser - front end for above ROMs.
  • PLEX - Now streams my 4K HDR rips no problem.
  • Netflix 4K HDR.
  • Ultimate Chicken Horse - funny 4 player game.
  • Works with XBOX One controllers, blutooth needed for wireless.
  • Hey Google - voice activation.
  • remotr - stream and play any game installed on your pc on your shield tv, in 4K. (the nvidia gamestream app requires latest graphics cards to even work)

Just got myself one of these, has anybody set up a tuner on it yet? It doesn't recognise my PS3 playtv tuner that worked with libreelec on my other box.

Have you tried it through Plex?

What does it cost ? And does t have the full Plex interface ?

9 hours ago, STAIN0 said:

Have you tried it through Plex?

No i havent, does plex need membership though? My playtvs light doesn't come on when plugged in the back. If the shield

I was tossing up between this & a MiniX Neo u9-h.

https://www.iptvinsider.com/minix-neo-u9-h-review/

How do you think they would compare?

The only negative I have with the Shield is paying for a games remote which I’ll never use. (Or hardley ever)

Mainly wanting to run Kodi into a big 4K tv for movie/tv show streaming.

4 hours ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I was tossing up between this & a MiniX Neo u9-h.

https://www.iptvinsider.com/minix-neo-u9-h-review/

How do you think they would compare?

The only negative I have with the Shield is paying for a games remote which I’ll never use. (Or hardley ever)

Mainly wanting to run Kodi into a big 4K tv for movie/tv show streaming.

I have the minix u9 and I love it, especially being open source. I decided to buy 2 minix for the price of the nvidia, even though I think the nvidia is a better unit.

I have been through a number of "genric" andorid boxes before buying a Shield at an excellent price a few weeks ago.

There is not much in the hardware specs between the various boxes however the Shield is streets in front of the others for clean snappy performance.  All I need to do now is get used to the "limited" remote that comes with the Shield.

No regrets on buying the premuim product at a good price.

I have a Shield, I use it primary for watching movies etc (via Kodi) from my NAS.

Does anyone else have a problem with it switching off randomly after a couple hours of use? Not sure if it's overheating, or what the deal is? It's in an open area, so I don't think it's overheating, yet with the temp of late it's possible I guess.

19 hours ago, Cideburns said:

I have a Shield, I use it primary for watching movies etc (via Kodi) from my NAS.

Does anyone else have a problem with it switching off randomly after a couple hours of use? Not sure if it's overheating, or what the deal is? It's in an open area, so I don't think it's overheating, yet with the temp of late it's possible I guess.

I've never had that happen yet, but I find spmc crashes a lot.usualy when it scans on startup or on wake after being asleep when spmc not closed down before sleep. Does the kodi app do the same?

4 hours ago, brabs said:

I've never had that happen yet, but I find spmc crashes a lot.usualy when it scans on startup or on wake after being asleep when spmc not closed down before sleep. Does the kodi app do the same?

Hmm, maybe it's a Kodi thing (switching off the Shield randomly)

I don't have an issue with Kodi crashing on start-up or wake-up, or when scanning movie/tv database

56 minutes ago, Cideburns said:

Hmm, maybe it's a Kodi thing (switching off the Shield randomly)

I don't have an issue with Kodi crashing on start-up or wake-up, or when scanning movie/tv database

Thanks for that, hopefully spmc17 will improve it when it eventually gets released, or maybe just uninstall it, and use the kodi 17 app. Have you tried them both? If so did you notice if either is better?

2 minutes ago, brabs said:

Thanks for that, hopefully spmc17 will improve it when it eventually gets released, or maybe just uninstall it, and use the kodi 17 app. Have you tried them both? If so did you notice if either is better?

Sorry, I've only tried Kodi. I think it's great. It does just what I need

Well I just streamed via Shield TV (Plex) ATMOS audio through my 3070. Everything I was hoping for, wasn't sure it would work, has flawlessly.