Atmos ceiling speakers

Can anyone recommend me some in ceiling speakers that are good for Atmos?

Anything to look out for here....or is it pretty straight forward? People seem to talk about speakers that you can aim towards the seating position.

I'm looking at round the $250-$300 per speaker mark.

Thanks heaps

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha 6" directional speakers will do. I've found from installing a heap of various speakers used for atmos you'll still need to raise the level for them in the amp setup quite a bit anyway,

18 hours ago, Berzo said:

Can anyone recommend me some in ceiling speakers that are good for Atmos?

Anything to look out for here....or is it pretty straight forward? People seem to talk about speakers that you can aim towards the seating position.

I'm looking at round the $250-$300 per speaker mark.

Thanks heaps

What are rest of your speakers ? Most brands have something in their range for inceiling. Thee nothing special about atmos speakers they are just in ceiling speakers that are used :)

6 minutes ago, al said:

What are rest of your speakers ? Most brands have something in their range for inceiling. Thee nothing special about atmos speakers they are just in ceiling speakers that are used :)

Actually i just got a text saying mine are in.

The rest of my speakers aren't that flash. Just running Jensen Qx2 series from years ago. Never really got the 10k together to go to the next level.

So these Yamaha ic800's are $300 for a pair? That's half the price I was thinking it would cost.

3 minutes ago, Berzo said:

The rest of my speakers aren't that flash. Just running Jensen Qx2 series from years ago. Never really got the 10k together to go to the next level.

So these Yamaha ic800's are $300 for a pair? That's half the price I was thinking it would cost.

Mine came in today and it is for a pair as that's what i wanted to know also.Just to be sure i rang Yamaha and spoke with sales and support and they verified to me it was a pair.I will be picking mine up tomorrow and can verify for you if you like. My price was $349.00 from harvey Norman.I am running mine with some Yamaha hx speakers.I cannot tell you what they are like as i have never seen them or demoed them but for what it's worth to you my Yamaha speakers have served me well with no problems at all for years.I thought the price was to good to be true as that was why i rang Yamaha.I can give you a mind set answer tomorrow.

I use the 8" yamahas for my surrounds...no complaints so i couldn't see them being an issue for atmos. When I'm using 9 channel stereo they actually don't sound to bad either, they can handle a little more bass being 8" so you can play around with the frequency level a bit. 

2 hours ago, Berzo said:

Drummerboy how did u get them for $349 from Harvey Norman? Haggle?

They are $297 delivered on eBay from Vista Vision and if you wait every few days/weeks they have a 5% or 10% or even 20% promo on so they get even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-8-140W-In-Ceiling-Speakers-Pair-1-Swivel-Tweeter-NS-IC800-/252246015377?hash=item3abb08bd91:g:Bm4AAOSwwPhWk2W9

So unless you can get HN to do them for $285 I wouldn't bother,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

55 minutes ago, womble66 said:

They are $297 delivered on eBay from Vista Vision and if you wait every few days/weeks they have a 5% or 10% or even 20% promo on so they get even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-8-140W-In-Ceiling-Speakers-Pair-1-Swivel-Tweeter-NS-IC800-/252246015377?hash=item3abb08bd91:g:Bm4AAOSwwPhWk2W9

So unless you can get HN to do them for $285 I wouldn't bother,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea when I ordered them they were $399.Then Harvey's rang me to tell me there will be a slight delay in them getting to me but the good news was they dropped to 349 which I thought was good.I am happy to pay $349.Nice work mate.

3 hours ago, Berzo said:

Drummerboy how did u get them for $349 from Harvey Norman? Haggle?

Not really read my above post as I did not really haggle at all as I was really expecting them to cost a lot more.When I saw 399 I basically said to myself "is that all" I thought I was onto something good as I have also got Yammy speakers.My Yamaha speakers are fantastic so my decision was easy.

2 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Not really read my above post as I did not really haggle at all as I was really expecting them to cost a lot more.When I saw 399 I basically said to myself "is that all" I thought I was onto something good as I have also got Yammy speakers.My Yamaha speakers are fantastic so my decision was easy.

I think for in ceilings you've made a good choice. As i said above the 8" yammys i have handle all i throw at them! 

That,s great to know mate as I am looking forward to adding them to my collection.I think from memory they are rated at 140 watts,so that's ok by me as I really only need them for Atmos anyway.Well that,s the plan anyway.

16 hours ago, Berzo said:

Thanks for the info guys...drummerboy keep me posted id love to hear your feedback on the speakers.

Ok Berzo its 2 speakers in with that price but still check first through who you order through as different companies have the power to advertise as they wish to a degree so just check who you are ordering through as my deal will most likely be different to yours.Base every deal on its own individual merits.

• 3 weeks later...

Installed mine and i must say it went so smooth and quick. I only have the 2 eight inch speakers at the moment but plan on getting another 2 later. I will use these two as the middle above and between main listening position and the seats ahead of main.

IMGP2026.JPG

IMGP2023.JPG

IMGP2028.JPG

IMGP2029.JPG

Alan the room is looking great.

When I installed my ceiling speakers, to heighten the WAF, I painted them the same colour as the ceiling.

It was a very tedious job because you obviously don't want to fill in all the little holes in the grill with paint . Four light coats with a small foam roller making sure to give the grill a "blow" to clear any paint in the holes. Came up a treat. You can hardly see them.

Well worth the effort.

27 minutes ago, IMDave said:

When I installed my ceiling speakers, to heighten the WAF, I painted them the same colour as the ceiling.

It was a very tedious job because you obviously don't want to fill in all the little holes in the grill with paint . Four light coats with a small foam roller making sure to give the grill a "blow" to clear any paint in the holes. Came up a treat. You can hardly see them.

Well worth the effort.

I just use a spray can and lighty apply from a distance. Clogging is a pain in the arse and you don't want to be sitting there poking holes with a pin. 
I rate the Yamaha in ceilings. Even for alfresco's, kitchens areas etc I install them a fair bit. As you can tell from the photo :)

20257996_2062699167294950_415838877708865401_n.jpg

3 hours ago, IMDave said:

Well worth the effort.

Yea i have some black paint handy so i will do that. Also too there is a cover over the inside of the grill which has to be removed before painting and then put back over the grill on the inside of it after it dries.

19 hours ago, IMDave said:

Looks great but I concur with painting the ceiling fittings but like @SUPCIN I also used a spray paint to paint my KRIX grills, including my in-wall fronts, the ducted  AC ceiling outlet, the alarm PIR and the LED downlight frames. At $12 can it was cheap and the finish was outstanding with no issues of blocking the little holes by applying light multiple coats and providing a uniform flat black similar to my black ceiling and front wall..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-ultra-cover-2x-flat-black-spray-paint_p1580675 

Edited by womble66