Dolby Vision Vrs HDR 10

Blackman, I saw mention over on the Bluray.com forums that Oppo acknowledges there's a decoding issue with DV discs that causes the grey letterbox bars. Presumably there'll be another firmware update in time.

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Blackman, I saw mention over on the Bluray.com forums that Oppo acknowledges there's a decoding issue with DV discs that causes the grey letterbox bars. Presumably there'll be another firmware update in time.

I did not know that and I will look forward for the update  but the Trouble is I getting them on our Panasonic DMP UB 900 Player but I have to remember that we have a IPS Tv  and that does not help.  Its good to have both the Oppo 203 and the Pana 900 as I use the Pana on all HDR 10 stuff (on HDMI3) on the big LG and now the Oppo 203 for the 4 DV movies (HDMI 1) we have + sometimes other HDR 10  movies just for comparison or give the Oppo 203 a run.

I will have to go to Blu ray forum to find this issue

Thanks for the info

15 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I did not know that and I will look forward for the update  but the Trouble is I getting them on our Panasonic DMP UB 900 Player but I have to remember that we have a IPS Tv  and that does not help.  Its good to have both the Oppo 203 and the Pana 900 as I use the Pana on all HDR 10 stuff (on HDMI3) on the big LG and now the Oppo 203 for the 4 DV movies (HDMI 1) we have + sometimes other HDR 10  movies just for comparison or give the Oppo 203 a run.

I will have to go to Blu ray forum to find this issue

Thanks for the info

It mentioned at post #3495 here.

Test last night as we are going to watch the Fate and the Furious on Dolby Vision tonight the 3 times that was mentioned on the Blu ray forum so I found that:

0:24:34  I found nothing as the LG LED LCD preformed correctly

47:47:   I found nothing as the LG LED LCD preformed correctly

1:21:27 I found that the top letter box bars (possible the bottom too as I was looking at the the top ones only) glowed quickly (from lL to R)and when back to normal. Normally with the LG LCD Dark Scenes with some object being light is when the Bars get lighter. Will look at this scene tonight if not I will look at it again possible on Sunday

After this I Tried Despicable Me on DV again and yes the movies is slightly very slightly milky so like what the blu ray forum suggested on the LG OLED they bought the brightness down from the default 50 to I think 44. For me going from 50 to 46 wa sslighty to dark and I set it at 48 and that is good. I tried again Fate and Furious on the scene where all the cars are stackup up in the warehouse and it looks good as that scene had a lot of contrast it it.

You would be surprised how much just 2 setting changes Maybe the setting on this tv are to course because you will not think that just 2 setting can make the difference on brightness. 3 setting changes was ok but 4 was too much as I found section of scenes to be too dark.

• 3 weeks later...

an interesting post from evolution below,

8 hours ago, Evolution1503565405 said:

I actually own an LG G6 - Having seen a couple of Dolby Vision films, I can't say the difference is very substantial, if at all. Dolby Vision content allows for up to 12 bit color, which would make a significant improvement, as you are probably aware that 2 bits is the difference between 1.07 billion colors and 68.7 billion. However, even if Dolby Vision is capable of 12 bit, today's TV panels are a maximum of 10 bit. You would be hard-pressed to see a difference in current TVs. Today's TV technology is still limited,  we can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12 bit color range.

I also note the article below, which am not sure been posted in this thread, not sure if they are keeping it upto date - appears to be,

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

and i note they conclude below,

"Conclusion

Dolby Vision can be considered the more advanced HDR format, but the lack of content and supported TVs is holding it back at the moment. HDR10 has the distinct advantage of having more content available and being supported on TVs with a higher peak brightness, effectively giving a better result in the end.

Ultimately, the difference between the two formats isn't that important. The quality of the TV itself has a much bigger impact on HDR (see our recommendations for the best HDR TVs). It’s still quite early days for HDR. Both formats have the ability to produce much more dynamic images than we are seeing on the best TVs today. The limitation is down to both the TV technology and the way the titles are mastered. We can’t yet reach the 10,000 cd/m2 maximum peak brightness and the expanded 12 bit color range."

5 hours ago, Shankman said:

HDR10+ is firming up. :)

"Panasonic & Samsung Join Up to Resist Dolby Vision with HDR10+"

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/hdr10-plus-201708284497.htm

What Ce doesn't like royalty free ; a good pointer to the big IFA news mooted by Panasonic earlier :)

Displays just haven't reached the capabilities yet for DV ; by nits or contrast whether led or oled . Good to see a smpte standard come to fruition :cool:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1463138030

This is a good reason to have a avr repeater that can be upgraded to hdmi 2.1 - or not - well see .. 

Edited by cwt

8 minutes ago, nothing1 said:

over at https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-is-hdmi-2-0b/ it mentions that dynamic metadata is only supported in HDMI version 2.1 and that no TV's yet have this, so if this is the case how does DV work on today's TV's?

dolby vision doesn't need anything fancy hdmi wise they were using it on hdmi v1.4 originally for it :)

as per link below,

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/140385-dolby-vision-is-now-available-as-a-software-update-to-upgrade-compatible-kit

"The real benefit of Dolby Vision is that it doesn't need the new HDMI 2.0 standard to work. 'Regular' HDR10 signals do need HDMI 2.0, a standard that only the latest kit has. Because Dolby Vision can operate with HDMI 1.4, its potential applications are much greater, which is very good news."

2.0b as they(your link) mentioned was non event just adding HLG. and 2.1 though announced I dont think anyone realy knows what bring

ps what confuses with hdmi spec is they list under each new version all the things supports ... so some will look at and go gee need the new version to do all that ? when infact the new version only brings a few new things and older versions  already support all else !

3 minutes ago, nothing1 said:

thanks for the explanation, so will hdr10+ work on HDMI 2.0 or does that need 2.1?

doubt need 2.1

if does it will be dead in water. it will have to be "enabled" on current gear or forget-a-bout-it

1 hour ago, nothing1 said:

thanks for the explanation, so will hdr10+ work on HDMI 2.0 or does that need 2.1?

As Al mentioned it would be pretty stupid if they didn't implement it where possible.

According to the HDMI org site, it's manufacturer dependent.

Dynamic HDR

Q: Does this Dynamic HDR require the new 48G Cable?

A: No, but it will be necessary to enable 8K video with HDR

Q: Does the specification support the various HDR solutions?

A: Yes it supports various static and dynamic HDR solutions in the market

Q: Is this accessible via a firmware upgrade?

A: Manufacturers will be implementing this in various ways

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

2 hours ago, nothing1 said:

theoretically if DV can use HDMI 1.4 then there should be no reason why HDR10+ couldn't do the same. One other thing could HDR10+ read the dynamic metadata in DV and decode it? and would that even be allowed?

Theres a wrinkle in this case nothing1 ;depending on how the metadata is handled :cool: This is complicated by the processing horsepower in the display ; so top of the line players with good fpga processing will get an upgrade more likely than cheaper sets :)

Unlike HDR10, support for Dolby Vision isn’t tied to a specific flavor of HDMI. That’s because Dolby designed its format, which employs dynamic metadata that varies on a frame-by-frame basis rather than the static metadata used with HDR10, to work independent of HDMI versions, with the metadata embedded in the video signal itself instead of riding on top in a separate layer. According to the company, Dolby Vision is compatible with HDMI versions extending as far back as HDMI 1.4b.

could HDR10+ read the dynamic metadata in DV and decode it? and would that even be allowed?

Dolby Vision-compatible gear can still play HDR10 content; Likewise HDR10-compatible gear can still play Dolby Vision content, but it only looks as good as HDR10. Its all based on the relevant smpte standard and sony had a key hand in HDR10 development so chances are there will be the same compatability ..  

Edited by cwt

25 minutes ago, nothing1 said:

i have the Panasonic TH-55EZ950U TV and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player, i will be a little annoyed to put it mildly if these don't get the upgrade to HDR10+!

goodness knows really with HDR 10+ its got pretty limited backing. but one thing is for sure the HDR wars are for sure heading for a beta vs VHS thing :D

atleast we have one surety in that HDR 10 which we have now is mandatory :) and we know DV is being given by many makers (apart from pana and samsung) as an update.

it is official all of Panasonic 2017 pro hdr tv's will get the hdr10+ update, after talking to Panasonic Australia they said this will be by the end of 2017 but i will have a guess that it will be the end of September beginning of October.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Latest info on HDR10+ as it infiltrates the zeitgeist :)

the Blu-ray Disc Association announced that HDR10+ has been added to the list of optional HDR formats that can be included on UHD Blu-ray discs.

Before the show, I had thought that the dynamic metadata of HDR10+ required HDMI 2.1 to convey it from an external device, such as a UHD Blu-ray player, to a display.

Anyone reading hdmi.org on variable metadata  2.1 requirements would have thought the same...

Cant wait to read the fine print on dust jackets to see whats extra on a disc - if its there that is :emot-bang:

http://www.avsforum.com/hdr10plus-ces-2018/

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, nothing1 said:

i have the Panasonic TH-55EZ950U TV and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player, i will be a little annoyed to put it mildly if these don't get the upgrade to HDR10+!

The company demonstrated this with a 2017 firmware-updated UHD Blu-ray player connected to a 2018 QLED TV playing content that had been encoded with HDR10+.

Could the 900 be the 2017 player that got the hdr10+ test firmware? Hope so ; its got the same hcx processor as the tv;s and Ime happy with mine :)

• Like 1