drummerboy01

Projector calibration

7 hours ago, al said:

now days fortunately enough does indeed come with some instructions mark. infact probably most user friendly one out there. I think disney describe it or its the running joke that any "goofy" should be able to calibrate with one :D

Not the same WOW as the disney one.  I have Disney's WOW on both DVD and Blu-Ray and the instructions are good.  This WOW THX disc was a promotional LD for sellers of THX sound systems from 1991 only and not made available to the general public.  The disc had tutorials from Tom Holman explaining how Re-eq and Timbre Match/Decorrelation worked and also the "Making Of A Soundtrack" narrated by James Earl Jones.  

Not sure if side A was CAV or not, but B must have been as at the end of the disc on side B was test patterns.  So it just paused on the PLUGE and then there was a SMPTE Colour Bars pattern and some Geometry/Convergence disc.  No instructions here.  I did not know at the time that a pattern like PLUGE could damage a CRT TV in as little as 30 seconds if displayed on a high factory contrast preset.  

I got to meet the guy that created the WOW Disney disc back in 2010 and his joke at the time was that MOM (turn the disc cover upside down) could even use this.  

On 29/06/2017 at 3:43 PM, IMDave said:

We can get you 90% of the way with the JVC AutoCal program and a Spyder 5 colourimeter. Add Arve's gamma curves and you are to 95%. The last 5% comes from having your Spyder checked against a " reference " meter. I haven't bothered. If D6500 is really D6450, I don't care THAT much.?

Have faith. 

I'm with you Dave, do it yourself. I've just recently received my x5900 ( Last night )  and very curious about the jvc Autocal ( coming from Calman ) and now you mentioning Arves gamma curves. What is Arves Gamma curves and can you upload different gamma curves for the JVC ?

23 hours ago, franin said:

I'm with you Dave, do it yourself. I've just recently received my x5900 ( Last night )  and very curious about the jvc Autocal ( coming from Calman ) and now you mentioning Arves gamma curves. What is Arves Gamma curves and can you upload different gamma curves for the JVC ?

The Arves Gamma curves are 3rd party software that allows you to create an S Gamma Curve in software, then upload that directly to the JVC.  It is a bit quirky, but very cool with how it works.  I wish all projectors with a data port could use this.