Sign in to follow this  
drummerboy01

All set for new projector

Dave, is your cinema room separate to the house or apart of it.

16 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Dave, is your cinema room separate to the house or apart of it.

It was part of renovation, and as such has lots of common walls with other rooms.

As a consequence I can't listen at "Reference" levels with anyone else home.

The only way to truly soundproof a room is to build a room within a room, or have a completely separate building. Sounds like water. It will always find a way to escape if it can.

1 minute ago, IMDave said:

It was part of renovation, and as such has lots of common walls with other rooms.

As a consequence I can't listen at "Reference" levels with anyone else home.

The only way to truly soundproof a room is to build a room within a room, or have a completely separate building. Sounds like water. It will always find a way to escape if it can.

My room is separate to the house.Being a separate building has some advantages but i find that the bass is so hard to contain.If i close both doors and go outside i can only just hear the move,music.On the  other hand under the same circumstances the sub sound is a little louder being the shaking of the inside door.I think though if i go down the road off your recommendation,i should be able to at least hear better separation as the door wont be rattling.Plus a tiny bit more sound stays in the room at least.My room is 190mm besser block filled with concrete so i battened the walls and installed 2 layers off 13mm Boral soundstop board on walls and ceilings inside.I have it treated with sound insulation.The neighbors definitely can not hear a thing.It will be good when i get these door seals you recommended.

On 7/7/2017 at 3:22 PM, CAVX said:

Yes a nice big, thick throw rug will make a world of difference.  Carpeting that stage would be even better.  

I first experimented with treatments back in 2000 when I bought my first house and was able to build a small, dedicated HT.  From there, we can only add more after listening and taking measurements.  My current room is 7 years old now, and still sounds quite good despite it developing some rattles - mainly the doors. 

The first 1/3rd of my room is fully treated with absorptive materials along with the bottom half of the other 3rds.  I am in the process of adding diffusion to these parts.  My RT-60 results measured with REW are all below 3 which is the target for reverb in  a HT.  Basically there are two things we need to treat  - 
1. Control of reverb (in the room) and 
2. Sound isolation (this is a 2 way street as I don't want to hear the neighbours anymore than they want to hear me).  

Adding diffusion will assist in keeping the "reflective" bright with out "slap echoes".  The room does sound good (I had a sound engineer in the other night who said it sounded very good) but I can sometimes hear nasties depending on where I am standing, so the goal is to fix those issues.  You don't hear these when seated, but I do hear them when demoing the room.  Most people won't hear these because their RT-60 reading are well over 3 and they are hearing way more reflections that I have in my room.  I also EQ'd my room after Auto EQ was done by using a RTA and the manual EQ controls on the AVR.  This level of EQ is only recommend once room treatments have been installed.     

MY ROOM is based on a screening room design by THX, published about 25 years ago.  The only thing I did different (my room was built in 2010) was to lower the surrounds (based on real world experience of building small rooms) to slightly higher than seated ear height.  and as it turned out, this worked in my favor as DOLBY ATMOS now requires the surrounds to be closer to seated ear height than the older "rule of thumb" of two feet higher".    

Nice room Mark,that lens is bigger than i thought it would be.It looks to be a room inside a room.Very nice job mate.

22 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Nice room Mark,that lens is bigger than i thought it would be.It looks to be a room inside a room.Very nice job mate.

Thanks.  I like it and seem to go into there even of not watching a film.  I don't listen to near enough music these days.  

17 hours ago, CAVX said:

Thanks.  I like it and seem to go into there even of not watching a film.  I don't listen to near enough music these days.  

I know that feeling.......i am in the car alot and i listen to it there...but not at home much anymore