Sign in to follow this  
GoudaK

General projector/screen/lens questions

So to stop thread crapping someone else's thread, I am just about to install my gear into my newly built dedicated theatre.

For many years I've had a projector however this is the first time I am using an anamorphic lense, I have one of Mark's MK3 lenses and a Sony HW40ES.

Some questions I have is around lens positioning, how should these ideally be installed? I plan to use a manual slide and integrate this onto a shelf where the projector will also be placed. Should the lense sit as close to the projector lens as possible? Or should there be some distance apart? Should the lens sit right in the middle of the projector lens?

I'm also looking for some screen suggestions, there seems to be so many different types I am finding it hard to distinguish them apart. For reference I have a completely light controlled room, in the middle of the day you literally cant see your hand infront of your face.

Edited by Kaishin

I haven't setup one of Mark's Mk3 lens, but I have seen the difference the additional corrector element makes to the standard Mk3 - if you don't have one, consider it a must have.

Perhaps @MarkTecher will step in to advise on setup.

Thanks for the reply, I certainly do have the corrector also.

1 minute ago, GoudaK said:

Thanks for the reply, I certainly do have the corrector also.

Excellent - definitely makes the image a good deal sharper.

Presume you're going with a scope screen (although it's not essential). I'm running a 130" scope screen from OZTS - the fidelio velvet surround is definitely the blackest material I've seen and overscan is impossible to see.

Yes I do plan on running a scope screen, likely will be 120" however that does fall about 40cms out of the optimal throw distance I have available.

I've read great things about the OZTS screens and while the price is a little up there they certainly aren't outside my budget.

Unfortunately not my room isn't big enough, however my speakers have a nice and large sound stage to overcome that.

Hi Kaishin,definatlly don't need a big room for an AT screen,suit narrow rooms well with speakers behind the screen enables screen to go full width of a narrow room,don't need to leave 500 mm each side of screen for the left and right speakers

Width isn't my problem depth is unfortunately :)

My room is 4.6 x 5.1 and unfortunately due to the positioning of the door I need to have the screen on the 5.1 wall, if I were to use an AT screen unfortunately I would lose even more throw distance.

10 hours ago, GoudaK said:

Width isn't my problem depth is unfortunately :)

My room is 4.6 x 5.1 and unfortunately due to the positioning of the door I need to have the screen on the 5.1 wall, if I were to use an AT screen unfortunately I would lose even more throw distance.

How deep is the projector?  Do the cables enter the side or the back.  Sony used to have connections on the side.  The depth of this unit will also have to be taken into consideration.  Throw distance is from the projector's lens to the screen.  

The projector is about 50cms deep and the connections are coming in the side, so the throw distance will be 4 metres when I use approx 10cm for the screen and screen mounting gear.

1 hour ago, GoudaK said:

The projector is about 50cms deep and the connections are coming in the side, so the throw distance will be 4 metres when I use approx 10cm for the screen and screen mounting gear.

You're also going to need to allow at least 30cm for ventilation at the back of the pj as it has it's air intake at the back of the unit.

3 hours ago, GoudaK said:

You are getting down to about 1m tall screen at that throw.  The MK3 works best around TRs of 2.1:1.  My other concern is if this has the "+C" (correction) element, it might need a slightly longer throw.  Have you been able to mock this set up, projecting onto a wall?

I recently retro fitted a HT using an MK3+C (originally bought from Sunnybank HiFi) and at his 6.2m throw it is sharp.  Before that, this throw was about 4m and it worked, but not as good as it does at 6+.  TR remained the same as I simply increased the size of the screen.  

Originally there was to be 3 different versions of the "+C" lens, long medium and short throws, but it never came about and the short throw was kind of pointless given the size of the prisms needing a higher TR anyway.      

Thanks very much for the replies! Good point on the air intake Kazz, I will have to do some more precise measurements!

Thanks for the advice there Mark, the final coat of paint is going on Saturday so I will be able to mock everything up on Sunday and give it a go, sounds like perhaps I am not going to be able to go scope screen and need to stick with 16:9 (I did know it may come to this unfortunately).

I've attached the room layout, on the wall next to the door on the left there is the aircon unit. The projector at this stage is planned to be mounted on the wall with 5.1m and screen on the opposite wall.

Theatre.png

Edited by Kaishin

Are there any windows or other reasons you could not place the screen on the 4.6 wall opposite the door?  Looks like the door opens out.  If this was my room, I'd place gear/projector at the door and end shoot down the long axis.  Then you have about 120" Scope screen.  

It's really more about placement of speakers and the chairs, having to seat 4 a set of 4 chairs comes in at around 3800 long which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for speakers and walking room.

I have Dali Ikon 2 as my surrounds which are 30cms deep which will then only allow for 20cm walking room, it just doesn't quite work out :(

Really sounds like the scope screen isn't going to work so I might be best to go with 16:9 and sell the lens... not what I was hoping for but that's ok!

dont know your intended audio set up but having that 5.1m width allows you to try front wides.. from several readings these give a good front panning to your sound stage.. just an idea.

2 hours ago, GoudaK said:

It's really more about placement of speakers and the chairs, having to seat 4 a set of 4 chairs comes in at around 3800 long which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for speakers and walking room.

I have Dali Ikon 2 as my surrounds which are 30cms deep which will then only allow for 20cm walking room, it just doesn't quite work out :(

Can't do 2 rows of 2?

I have a mk4 lens in a smaller room (4.7long x 4.0 wide) and have a 145" scope screen. Even if you were projecting against your 5.1m wall you would have roughly the same throw as me, and even if the MK3 wasn't usable to as large a TR as my MK4, surely you could get at least a 130" scope screen, which is 3.2m wide

Don't give up on your lens / scope dream yet. Have a play with your projector/lens combo onto the wall before deciding on a screen

Thanks Roachy! I am even more determined to get this to work if I can :)

I finally have gotten to a point where I have been able to have a play in the room, I temporarily setup the projector and started to have a play and I am really struggling to get the image sharp to get a good basis to have a play with the lens.

What material have you guys used as a temporary measure? Projecting on the wall is impossible to get any idea of what the picture really looks like (flat black paint).

Edited by Kaishin

Got a white bed sheet?  

Kaishin,what area are you located,if in melb I can help

On 23/06/2017 at 11:15 PM, roachy said:

I have a mk4 lens in a smaller room (4.7long x 4.0 wide) and have a 145" scope screen. Even if you were projecting against your 5.1m wall you would have roughly the same throw as me, and even if the MK3 wasn't usable to as large a TR as my MK4, surely you could get at least a 130" scope screen, which is 3.2m wide

Don't give up on your lens / scope dream yet. Have a play with your projector/lens combo onto the wall before deciding on a screen

I remember roachy's setup. even if was temporarily setup at the time but pulled it off :)

I don't have a white bed sheet (I do, however only a fitted sheet which will be rubbish for this purpose!) but my Dad does so I've asked him to bring it over for me, thanks for the tip!

Muruwai, I absolutely appreciate your offer and that would have been amazing, however I am in Brisbane :(