Wags69

Panasonic 65"/75" EX780

if picture quality is most important then panasonic is the way to go

8 hours ago, plumgas said:

if picture quality is most important then panasonic is the way to go

I disagree there. Perhaps it's different with the 75inch you have, but I went to the retailers to buy the 65 inch 780. It was next to a Sony 8500, a Hisense 65N6 and a LG of some sort above it. Granted they were not calibrated some what, the Panasonic was the worst out of the bunch for sharpness and depth. There wasn't a whole lot in it between the sony and pana, but the three of us noticed it straight away. It may not have the best picture quality in our findings, but that certainly doesn't mean it is not a great unit. 

people discredit the panasonic.. because they look "dull" thats actually how a tv is ment to look calibrated.. thx mode on teh panasonics is the best looking natural picture around hands down..

I actually changed the settings in the store to compare the samsung and the panasonic . the settings on the samsung were pumped to dynamic 

which I changed and set the panasonic to true cinema and the panasonic had the best picture even against  the samsung qleads.

How's the 780 for banding and DSE?

I've seen it to a degree in the shops, which puts me off.

OK, decided to go with a 75EX780. Wife wanted a 75" in the end, it was down to this or the hisense.

Wanting to know how much I can get this for. Cheapest so far is $4236.

Need to know by sunday :)

Cheers

Wags

that is a cheap price, most people are getting  about 4700.

also check out hd test they awarded panasonic 1st place in the 2017 OLED's 

Edited by Lynne Mangold

Update, for anyone interested..... deposit paid for a 75EX780.

Pick it up when the refund for the samsung  MU7000 hits the account.

Love that guys reviews.  Best lounge room tv Sony A1 Oled  and best HT room tv Panasonic Oled;)

Edited by sero

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Wags1503560380 said:

Update, for anyone interested..... deposit paid for a 75EX780.

Pick it up when the refund for the samsung  MU7000 hits the account.

Looking Forward to see what you think of the 75EX780 once you get it home.

1 hour ago, Serentity said:

Looking Forward to see what you think of the 75EX780 once you get it home.

Will keep you posted. Hope it meets my expectations.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, Owen said:

LCD panels are inherently non uniform and can vary markedly from panel to panel, so even with perfectly even back lighting you can still get uniformity problems like flash lighting, bright corers, etc.

Think back to the days when all LCD's where all CCFL back lit, no edge lighting at all then. Panel uniformity was no better then and you entered the panel lottery every time you purchased an LCD screen, just as now.

Two TV's of the same size, model and using the same brand of panel can perform very differently. What's different, is it the panel or the lighting?

When all examples have much the same problem its almost certainly the lighting system, when there is great variance between examples its almost certainly the LCD panel.

Edge lighting is not ideal but it can and does work quite well if properly engineered, especially on smaller panels which are easier to manage.

Similar to one person is unacceptably different to another. If you value colour accuracy, motion interpolation performance and the finer points of image processing a Hisense is not a good choice unless a lower price is paramount.

Plenty, if not most people, are not aware of or bothered by such things so for them spending extra on a "brand name" TV doesn't make much Hisense. :D

I ended up buying the Sony 65X8500E and got it for what I believe was a good price ($2600) with a free $200 wall mount kit thrown in for free.  I would have opted for the free wall installation by Sony but I live in the sticks and I seriously doubt if anyone was going to drive that far out of the city to do the installation.  This TV replaced my old Sony KDL52X2000 backlit full HD LCD.  

Unlike perhaps some people I have had no backlit uniformity problems with either of these TVs that is detectable by the human eye.  My only negative comment on both TVs is that I never liked any of the pre-set picture modes.  Generally I tend to run my TVs with a lower colour saturation than most others do.  IMHO both models achieved quite a good picture quality with a small amount of tweaking of the settings.

The setup was simple and straight forward.  4k Netflix streams perfectly and the controls are quick to respond to commands.  Voice activation works well.  For 4k Blu-ray, this TV works well with the Sony UBP-X800.  I haven't explored all the features of this TV yet but of those I have, it seems to be pretty faultless.

Yes, I would have purchased the 9000E if I had the extra cash, but frankly I don't watch that much TV anyway.

All panels regardless of type and make will vary as per in @Owen post.

you may not see it but it takes a trained eye to actually detect it no matter how well someone's confirmation of uniform across the entire panel.   If a panel was flexible and you can fold it,  you will see the difference by comparing a section to another section.  The difference is measured in "Delta E".   Commercial panels destined for the home market will have a variation up to a Delta 3.   A Delta E 3 is noticeable via a trained eye,  and possible discounted by the general population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

Well, after having the EX780 for a week now, I can tell you that I am loving it! 

Bought the Panasonic UB400 UHD BD player yesterday and a couple of discs today and all I can say is WOW!

Turned all the lights off and the black bars above and below the image are BLACK! Must be some tricky local dimming at work and it works magnificently. The colour the motion the depth all better than the MU7000.

The AFL and the cricket look amazing and looking forward to the F1's this weekend. 

For the money I can't recommend this TV high enough..... love it!

AS I told you wags this is the tv you should have purchased from the start. it has beautiful blacks and colour. However you should have purchased the ub900 it is a better player. so glad you are happy with the 780

13 minutes ago, Lynne Mangold said:

AS I told you wags this is the tv you should have purchased from the start. it has beautiful blacks and colour. However you should have purchased the ub900 it is a better player. so glad you are happy with the 780

Yes the UB900 is awesome, but for $388 I couldn't knock the UB400 back. Same processor I believe?

23 minutes ago, Lynne Mangold said:

BTW, what settings are you using?

15 minutes ago, Lynne Mangold said:

the most important setting is true cinema in picture settings. 

I've gone cinema. True cinema for if I'm watching in a dark environment. 

most people use cinema for regular tv programs and true cinema for blu-ray and movies.

I will try to find some other settings for you.

I used these guys settings.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Addicted to music said:

All panels regardless of type and make will vary as per in @Owen post.

you may not see it but it takes a trained eye to actually detect it no matter how well someone's confirmation of uniform across the entire panel.   If a panel was flexible and you can fold it,  you will see the difference by comparing a section to another section.  The difference is measured in "Delta E".   Commercial panels destined for the home market will have a variation up to a Delta 3.   A Delta E 3 is noticeable via a trained eye,  and possible discounted by the general population.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_difference

......."trained eye", "trained ears" .  I find it amusing that after a significant absence from this forum nothing has changed.  People still make sweeping assumptions about someone else's perceptions, abilities et al without even knowing anything about them or never having met them.   ROFLMAO.

No doubt there are many variations from panel to panel or TV to TV.  Sometimes you are just lucky to get one that has minimal problems (in an apparent world of faulty ones) I guess.  I've seen a lot of 4k TVs with chocolate box colours that no amount of fiddling with the picture settings seems to correct, and annoying dot crawl around the high contrast images.  But of course nobody worries about these image artefacts as long as the backlighting is uniform.  LOL.  Maybe I struck it lucky.  I'll whip out and by a Lotto ticket.  :P

9 hours ago, Monkeyboi said:

......."trained eye", "trained ears" .  I find it amusing that after a significant absence from this forum nothing has changed.  People still make sweeping assumptions about someone else's perceptions, abilities et al without even knowing anything about them or never having met them.   ROFLMAO.

No doubt there are many variations from panel to panel or TV to TV.  Sometimes you are just lucky to get one that has minimal problems (in an apparent world of faulty ones) I guess.  I've seen a lot of 4k TVs with chocolate box colours that no amount of fiddling with the picture settings seems to correct, and annoying dot crawl around the high contrast images.  But of course nobody worries about these image artefacts as long as the backlighting is uniform.  LOL.  Maybe I struck it lucky.  I'll whip out and by a Lotto ticket.  :P

So I  I gather you fired 100, 80, 70, 50, 30 20 percent of each individual primary RGB across the entire panel and measured the areas with a EFI ES 2000 spectrophotometer  to determined the variation at predetermined points.    If not, don't assume or rely on your eyes if you have never been shown the measured difference, hence my reference to a "trained eye"   

Yes there are other digital  artefacts that effect motion on all displays, but colour variation and gamut range is the main reason why you select a display.  

And....unlike audio with " trust my trained ears"  you can measure, see and document the difference on screen and via physical media provided the printer covers the same gamut range to be shown.  

Edited by Addicted to music

18 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

So I  I gather you fired 100, 80, 70, 50, 30 20 percent of each individual primary RGB across the entire panel and measured the areas with a EFI ES 2000 spectrophotometer  to determined the variation at predetermined points.    If not, don't assume or rely on your eyes if you have never been shown the measured difference, hence my reference to a "trained eye"   

Yes there are other digital  artefacts that effect motion on all displays, but colour variation and gamut range is the main reason why you select a display.  

And....unlike audio with " trust my trained ears"  you can measure, see and document the difference on screen and via physical media provided the printer covers the same gamut range to be shown.  

I must take you shopping for my next TV. :) I assume you will be bringing along your EFI ES 2000 spectrophotometer and other relevant test equipment as well as persuading the salesperson to cooperate with you whilst you conduct the tests on the showroom floor?  For the rest of us plebs, we will just have to go with the blessings bestowed on us by mother nature. 

As much as you can measure anything to the enth degree you will still come across personal preference in determining choice.  On a parallel path with audio, many here will disregard measured performance in preference to subjective performance.  I have often argued the point that a tube amplifier with a typical harmonic distortion approaching 1% can't possibly sound superior to a solid state amplifier measuring less than 0.001% over the same bandwidth.  However many a "trained ear" will tell you otherwise, claiming the tube amplifier is "more musical", "more natural and warm sounding" and a plethora of other subjective terms.  All of which don't reflect the measured electrical performance.

BTW, what exactly qualifies a person to be a "trained eye" anyway?  If it is anything like a "trained ear", I'll just step into the next room and write myself a certificate.  :)

Just for the record, I believe measurements can be and usually are a good indicator of performance.  Just convincing everyone here might be a tad difficult.  I respect your opinion and your method of evaluation.

Cheers,

Alan