Sign in to follow this  
Wags69

Panasonic 65"/75" EX780

I ended up purchasing the pana 780. went into HN and took my usb drive with with some 4k and hd video  files.
They had a pana 600x placed above the sammy MU7000. got the guy to change the view mode on pana  to to true cinema mode and played the files on both tv models.
since the 600x is a lower spec than the 780 it would give me an idea of what the 780 would be like.
this time there was no pushing towards the sammy and when I mentioned I was interested in the pana 780 he agreed this would be a good choice.  looking at the 2 tv showing the same video he stated there was not much difference between the two screens.
which we both agreed was wrong since one was priced at 2,500 and the sammy priced at 5,500.00. 
getting one ordered in from panansonic and delivered with in a week which was guaranteed by the manager.

really happy with my purchase.

Congrats, enjoy the new TV!

Received the 780 really happy and no black light clouding like the samsung tv's.

20170713_123618.jpg

20170713_191649.jpg

20170714_094458.jpg

20170714_095741.jpg

How does it handle motion? EG, AFL or the background of a F1 race.

I took these last night from sbs live. haven't tested streaming sport yet 

20170713_215429.jpg

20170713_215526.jpg

Update on the purchase of a 65MU7000.

Well, the Samsung is getting returned and I'm going to get a Sony 65 X9000E.

Too much banding on the sammy and some motion glitches also.

Hopefully getting the backlit Sony will not suffer from these issues.

I like the panasonic, but I see the banding on the sets in the shops....and they have the brightness way up!

Think I want direct lit this time.

I know all these technologies have their own faults, I'm just trying to minimize the ones that annoy me the most.

Putting the feelers out for some advice on what panel I should replace the MU7000 with.

I find these edge lit sets to be pretty average, so I'm considering the direct lit Sony X9000E.

If I have to buy edge lit then I'm considering saving some cash (as I hear the Hisense is as good as the more expensive sets.) and getting a Hisense N7.

Any advise welcome!

BTW oleds are too dear!!

I felt the same, but I couldn't justify the cost of the X9000. The store I visited had a Sony X8500E next to a similar sized (55inch) Hisense 55N6 and it was without doubt the N6 looked so much better! The Sony looked like there was a haze on the screen, no depth at all. 

In the end I walked out with the new Hisense 65N8 (sight unseen as it was the only one they had) and have it up on my wall. So far so good!

19 hours ago, digitalhome said:

In the end I walked out with the new Hisense 65N8 (sight unseen as it was the only one they had) and have it up on my wall. So far so good!

How much did you pay for the N8 digitalhome?

I can't really comment too much on that as I get cost from my retailer, but lets just say I paid around the average sell price of the 65N7. But every physical aspect of this panel looks more upmarket compared to the N7. 

Edited by digitalhome

14 hours ago, digitalhome said:

I can't really comment too much on that as I get cost from my retailer, but lets just say I paid around the average sell price of the 65N7. But every physical aspect of this panel looks more upmarket compared to the N7. 

It would want to be a bit more upmarket for $1500 more than the N7!

Edited by Wags

benefit of the sony is its an android box as well.. You can install kodi and run everything off your nas/pc movie/tv series wise. if your into retro games you can also install and play them too ;)

There is no "benefit" in so called smart functions in TV's that will quickly become outdated and obsolete.

Put your money into a solution that will always be upgradeable like a PC that is FAR more "future proof" and functional.

How are discussions about Hisense TV's relevant in this thread? They are not in the same class as the models in the thread title.

Edited by Owen

Many people don't want the extra box to fiddle with mate. I have 3 pc's at my place, an nvidia shield and a sony android tv. They all point to my Nas and i watch what ever i want.. The sony andriod tv is as good as a shield and htpc for general playback. It does all the current standards in playback. Unless your running madVR on high settings or playing pc games a htpc is pretty redundant. I still use mine because i have them and i game.. If i didnt game i wouldnt bother to replace them, id probably replace them with a shield.

1 hour ago, Owen said:

There is no "benefit" in so called smart functions in TV's that will quickly become outdated and obsolete.

Put your money into a solution that will always be upgradeable like a PC that is FAR more "future proof" and functional.

How are discussions about Hisense TV's relevant in this thread? They are not in the same class as the models in the thread title.

Seriously you need to grow up and realise that everything you think is right may not be the same for others. You preach some serious crap at times, and I swear you like to re-read your own posts over and over for self gratification. 

The Hisense TV's last year to current have been doing exceptionally well in individual professional testing, and in people's homes to date. No one here has stated they are as good as an OLED panel, but for edge lit they are now up the top with their peers and the retail pricing is starting to reflect this. But hey, since you don't own any of the models in question, you know best right?  I wait in vain for you're counter-argument. There always is one!

22 minutes ago, sero said:

Many people don't want the extra box to fiddle with mate.

A PC isn't an "extra box" its the ONLY box that can do everything and will continue to do so years after your smart TV's app's are no longer supported and obsolete. Even a brand new "smart" TV's cant do what a 10 year old PC can do because they are dumb.

29 minutes ago, sero said:

Unless your running madVR on high settings or playing pc games a htpc is pretty redundant.

If you are after the best playback quality possible a properly configured PC is not optional its a requirement, and I DON'T consider madVR in any way essential or even needed, I prefer FFDshow. A smart TV is not in the same class as a PC and never will be.

I haven't played a game since the 1990's, and putting up with a dumb as dog sh!t "smart TV" is not my idea of fun or progress.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I should probably change the the title of this thread now as my circumstances have changed a bit!

Here's where I'm at right now......

Samsung gets picked up on monday and as soon as the refund hits my account I'll be needing a new TV.

Us as consumers have been shafted with what manufacturers are delivering these days IMO. I think picture quality has become second to what a TV needs to "look" like. They just seem to want to make thinner and thinner panels and the trade off is image quality. Personally I'd rather have a panel that's 50mm thick with a great picture than a panel thats 5mm thick and looks like ****!

So right now I'm seriously considering the Sony X9000E as it is direct lit and looks pretty good to me.

OLED is above budget and a projector is not going to work in our living room. Too much light.

The alternative is a cheaper edge lit model. The samsung MU7000 at $3k was not good value to me, so if a Hisense at closer to $2k would give a similar result, that MIGHT work?

What does our forum members have to say about that?? Also, should I change the title or make a new thread with these questions?

Cheers Wags

LCD panels are inherently non uniform and can vary markedly from panel to panel, so even with perfectly even back lighting you can still get uniformity problems like flash lighting, bright corers, etc.

Think back to the days when all LCD's where all CCFL back lit, no edge lighting at all then. Panel uniformity was no better then and you entered the panel lottery every time you purchased an LCD screen, just as now.

Two TV's of the same size, model and using the same brand of panel can perform very differently. What's different, is it the panel or the lighting?

When all examples have much the same problem its almost certainly the lighting system, when there is great variance between examples its almost certainly the LCD panel.

Edge lighting is not ideal but it can and does work quite well if properly engineered, especially on smaller panels which are easier to manage.

4 hours ago, Wags1503560380 said:

The alternative is a cheaper edge lit model. The samsung MU7000 at $3k was not good value to me, so if a Hisense at closer to $2k would give a similar result, that MIGHT work?

Similar to one person is unacceptably different to another. If you value colour accuracy, motion interpolation performance and the finer points of image processing a Hisense is not a good choice unless a lower price is paramount.

Plenty, if not most people, are not aware of or bothered by such things so for them spending extra on a "brand name" TV doesn't make much Hisense. :D

10 hours ago, Owen said:

LCD panels are inherently non uniform and can vary markedly from panel to panel, so even with perfectly even back lighting you can still get uniformity problems like flash lighting, bright corers, etc.

You can say that again. The First LG86SJ957T we had was a lot duller than the second one. It was noticeable. I had NO banding, NO Flashlighting, NO Brighter Corners, No Back light Bleeding and Very little dirty Screen but had a Major problem with Excessive Glowing Letterbox bars. The Second one was a lot brighter and I think it has a little more dirty screen (could be because it was Brighter) and No Banding NO Brighter Corners, No Flashlighting, But had I say Had 2 or 3 bleed LEDs on the bottom hand side. After a good talk with a friend about this issue that use to work for LG in Korea He told me how to fix it (the Current models only) in 20 second and IT fixed it .