Sign in to follow this  
Wags69

Panasonic 65"/75" EX780

Not to mention the new pana's ability to do the tone mapping in the player or the panel ; as for how the dynamic range slider fits  into things ; best left for the low lumen projector perhaps :cool:

19 hours ago, Tweaky said:

They would need to update the 4k Disc players as well, which they haven't....as yet..... to take advantage of HDR-10+ encoding.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, I can see both pros and cons of having gamma changing on the fly with HDR-10+, I think it will depend on what gamma you have your TV calibrated at if you get more punch/HDR Brightness, or a washed out/ over bright picture, per scene.

And if this HDR-10+ update [if that IS what we got] effects the Brick-wall Tone-mapping every TV manufacture uses to increase contrast, I don't know.

My ChromaPure calibration software had a major update, and I'm still getting my head around what now might be possible.

It now apparently [from reading the software update info] has been given internal UHDR internal test patterns.

To do all previous REC709/BT1886 calibrations I've been able to run  it from a Laptop, but if I want to do UHDR calibrations with these new in built test patterns, I'll need to use the BEAST, which is a purpose built desktop PC than has a high end graphic card that will output in 4K , and move that into the loungeroom for the task.

A major PITA, but that means a LOT LESS need to use a extra remote to source UHDR Test patterns from a 4 K Disc player as well, the major reason I haven't given REC 2020 calibration settings to date.

If you knew how much remote button pressing is required for a calibration, even at REC 709 with in-built test patterns, you would realize why I've only been testing the waters with REC2020 calibration using outboard test discs, as it's pretty much double that, and as a subsequence, can get quite confusing, if not remote control throwing frustrating when you realize you are trying to adjust something with the wrong remote, and end up adjusting a previously set parameter.  image.gif.2761dfe9e3c608ffb745f5cdf599c6a0.gif

EDIT....Sadly it would seem from the link Lynne gave that this update is only a Network related system update....disappointing.

Just want to thank you again for all the work you did on the calibration AND for sharing it with us! 👌🙏🙏

22 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Either you need to have the TV set to update automatically , which obviously needs continuous internet access [ you can choose how often it checks, which might be why your TV has yet to do so], or you can go into settings and ask the TV to check for updates straight away, which is what I do regularly anyway.

There was no update for my Panasonic 4K disc player by the way.

my update settings are right and so is my network but no update as yet. no update on UB900 either. may have to update with usb, its always update automatically previously

5 minutes ago, Lynne Mangold said:

my update settings are right and so is my network but no update as yet. no update on UB900 either. may have to update with usb, its always update automatically previously

I checked tonight and downloaded the new update, don't notice any difference, but it I'm now running the latest? 

I have the 75" also Lynne. 

1 hour ago, Wags69 said:

I checked tonight and downloaded the new update, don't notice any difference, but it I'm now running the latest? 

I have the 75" also Lynne. 

wags, it was only a network update, probably youtube as per panasonic web site. 

New

Seems that Panasonic Japan announced on their website that HDR10+ feature was released on 30th. October (via firmware update) for certified Viera televisions.

Unfortunately no mention of EX series models....:(
Fingers crossed it is still coming.

Google Translate

Cheers.

I was looking forward to HDR10+ encoded discs, but from the way things are panning out, there might not be many discs around to enjoy it.

The usual format war being the problem, on this occasion it's a extremely petty one.

Samsung made the HDR-10+ codec free to use, but even that wasn't enough for LG, no, they decided that their TV's would have their own built in codec that does similar processing on board, and as such, not included HDR-10+ on their TV's......if LG's inbuilt processing works as well as HDR-10+ or Dolby Vision encoded discs isn't really known ATM, I'm guessing not, as LG video processing is generally behind everybody else's when you start nit picking.

Then you have Dolby Vision, which has/ is having 4K discs already released with this codec, and it's getting good reviews, at least on the upper/top rung Sony OLED's....well nothing really to compare it with since no HDR-10+ discs out yet.

If this mess with the multiple codecs that basically do the same thing ever gets sorted, and 4K discs are made that have both codecs on them, who knows?

The least harm this format war is going to do is confuse the bejesus out people, even more so that HDMI specs.

7 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I was looking forward to HDR10+ encoded discs, but from the way things are panning out, there might not be many discs around to enjoy it.

If these following disks are released next month as indicated, someone should finally be able to confirm.....

Not me unfortunately, as my Sony UBP-X800  player won't do HDR10+, nor my EX780A television (yet).

https://www.avsforum.com/first-imax-enhanced-4k-blu-rays-announced-featuring-hdr10/

Cheers. 

I don't know if we can expect our older model Panasonic 4K disc players to get the HDR-10+ update, I checked last night and there was no update 🙁

Then you have to worry about if your HT amp/receiver is going to need to have HDR-10+ compliance, if your running your video through one...I don't know about this as yet....it might mean two things that need upgrading [Disc player and HT Amp]

I'm wondering if the EX model will get the HDR-10+ update ? I only read about the HDR-10+ update at the UK based AV forum being promised to those buyers in the UK, I read nothing about it in Aus.....but then again, Panasonic's presence here in Aus is a shadow of it's former brand leading self, and only starting to reemerge with it's award winning OLED TV's, still a very small percentage of TV's sold in Aus are Panasonic's ATM judging from what sales people are telling me, they deem Panasonic much like NOKIA............then again, sales people aren't the brightest or unbiased people you run across.😉

I don't even know if Panasonic TV's have reappeared on the US market as yet, it doesn't look like it from viewing the Panasonic North America website, still only Cameras/ 4K disc players and Headphones, looks like the only way somebody can get a Panasonic TV state side is to buy one and get it shipped from Canada.

I just found this about the state of Panasonic in the USA.

https://www.lifewire.com/panasonic-slips-out-of-us-tv-market-4055689

Edited by Tweaky

I had this exact same kinda debate recently.....

I ended up "rage quittting" and buying a TCL P6 65" for $1000 on the melbourne cup special.     The kids won't know the difference  😛 

I'm loving the cricket in 4K on Foxtel.  Except I'm seeing blooming / ghosting when the ball flies away towards the boundary.

Anyone else have this issue, and any ideas how to fix it?  Cheers

YES, I have this issue.

I actually don't watch that much cricket, so for the majority of the time I have Gaming Mode ON [this cancels all motion processing]

The only thing I can suggest when watching Cricket [this problem doesn't seem to happen when watching BALL games using a larger BALL] is to go to MENU > Intelligent Frame Creation ...set to MAX.

Just below that setting...Clear Motion > set it to ON.

That's as good as it's going to get I'm afraid, the problem on happens when the camera follows the ball in a panoramic shot [wide angle], doesn't seem to occur otherwise.

On 07/12/2018 at 5:09 PM, BrentH said:

I'm loving the cricket in 4K on Foxtel.  Except I'm seeing blooming / ghosting when the ball flies away towards the boundary.

Anyone else have this issue, and any ideas how to fix it?  Cheers

I'm not getting those issues? 

I'm using Tweakys original settings. 

I just fired up the calibration gear, as I'm getting my chops in to 'Finally' do the other calibrations I've been promising for ages [On 5 week holidays starting 22nd 🙂 ]

Actually it will be almost exactly a year since I posted the original calibrations...........Let's just say after a quick pre-calibration measurement of the Grey scale/white balance, that in those 12 months, and on my TV which has had over 3700 hours us on it since then, things have drifted the total opposite of what this TV was like when it came out of the box.

It was almost totally Blue heavy and missing Red and Green BIG time when new.....Now, well it's Red and Green heavy and light on the Blue.....it's nowhere near as out of whack as it was the other way when out of the box, but it definitely needs a tune up.......Makes me wonder if calibrating the TV originally when so new is why it's so out of whack ATM, I should have left it a bit longer so the electronics had more time to bed in, OH well.🙄

If you want to see how many hours use your TV has had, go to Settings > Help > System info > look a system 4....it will have a C then numbers after it, those numbers are the hours used.

So it looks like what I'll do first is re calibrate to my original specs, which was for REC709 gamma 2.2, once that's done I'll do a separate one for REC 709 and gamma BT1886.

I think now I've measured the TV again, it explains why simply switching to gamma BT1886 has been looking so disappointing, with dark but ill defined Blacks and sort of 'Vivid like setting' colours, TBH it's why I haven't been that motivated to do it, I think I'll be in a bit of a DOH! why didn't I do this before! after I have done it, I'm expecting a WAY more punchy image with the BT1886 calibration.

We shall see.