Sign in to follow this  
Wags69

Panasonic 65"/75" EX780

Turn the tv itself down, set it to normal tv mode and turn it down to 0, put it back on hifi mode and next time you turn it on there will be no tv volume 

18 hours ago, christoshizz said:

Many thanks for this. I'll take a look tonight. I didn't realise you can tune settings for each input I thought they were associated to the mode (dynamic / cinema etc). Great to know. 

Has anyone noticed when you have audio going to receiver speakers (like free to air) when you turn on the tv for 5 seconds or so the audio comes blaring out of the tv speakers till it registers that it's in hifi mode? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks again

You have 4 HDMI inputs on the TV.

HDMI 1 is 4K compatible

HDMI 2 is 4K compatible and is also the Audio Return Channel

HDMI 3 is 1080p

HDMI 4 is 1080p

Those settings I gave are for standard Bluray playback at REC709 standard, if your highest playback source is Bluray/1080p I'd use them on HDMI inputs 2-4, and leave HDMI 1 for 4K.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter, as you can copy settings from one HDMI input to another, so in this instance, if you just want to try my settings first to see if you like them, input them into HDMI 4 with your Bluray player plugged into HDMI 4, leave your other HDMI inputs 1-3 as they came out of the box.....watch a couple of scenes of a Bluray inputted into HDMI 4, then swap to one of the other HDMI inputs, that will give you a before and after comparison.

As for the volume problem, check in TV Settings Menus

Audio > Speaker Selection> [Set To] Home Cinema

Digital Audio Preference > set to DD

SPDIF > set to AUTO

PCM Optical Level > Set to 0 DB

Veira Link Settings

Veira Link > ON

Power On link > OFF

Power Off link > ON

Standby and intelligent standby...Up to you.

Even if you have these settings as above, a lot can mysteriously screw up [As happened to me the other night when I had a horrible echo I couldn't work out was causing it, turned out both the TV speakers and the home cinema were working at the same time, which shouldn't be possible, but it was....Go Figure }

This is usually traceable to some idiosyncratic option on the HT amp switching things On or Off, usually when selection a preset 'Sound Mode', like 'Action Movie' or 'Drama' etc..... alot depends on your HT amp and the options available, but that's where I would be looking if the problem persists.

Hi all.  Just reading through this thread, as I’m considering a 65” telly.  How does the Sony Bravia KD 65x 9300e fit into the pack in the scheme of things?  I’ve read good things about it, but it clearly comes at a premium over something like the Hisense range (which I’ve mainly been looking at).  One main concern for us is we have (which is great) a really bright sun-filled house with lots of windows and no blinds/curtains (can’t afford yet!), so tv brightness a consideration.  That said, most viewing will be in the evening......

cheers,

Mat

1 hour ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Hi all.  Just reading through this thread, as I’m considering a 65” telly.  How does the Sony Bravia KD 65x 9300e fit into the pack in the scheme of things?  I’ve read good things about it, but it clearly comes at a premium over something like the Hisense range (which I’ve mainly been looking at).  One main concern for us is we have (which is great) a really bright sun-filled house with lots of windows and no blinds/curtains (can’t afford yet!), so tv brightness a consideration.  That said, most viewing will be in the evening......

cheers,

Mat

The 9300 is a great telly and IMO, **** on the hisence. 

Saying that, heard good things about the high end hisence tv's but they cost almost as much as the Japanese brands.

I've just been attempting adjusting the picture settings on my Panasonic 65EX780a and a strange thing happened, a much extended options in the picture settings suddenly appeared by accident, I got out of it before I realized what was listed, with a OH NO....how did I do that?

After trying to figure out just what I did to make it appear, I managed to get it back up again, it seems it's a bit hit or miss if it comes up, and as yet I haven't been able to actually select any of these advance settings, but I intend to persist, as if you look at the photo below there a lot of the presets found on the top of the range Panasonic OLED's....Pro 1 and 2 and two ISF settings.

746099983_PanasonicEX780afullpicturemenu.thumb.JPG.75e7c788fa583a808f41a370a6f96dce.JPG

Maybe if a few others owning this TV had a go, between us we might be able to work out how to get them up and running.

Firstly you have to be in TV mode, press the GUIDE button and have the guide showing on the screen, then press the MENU button to come up over the top of it, now this is the hit or miss part, if the extended menu comes up it will show a different option than the usual Dynamic, Normal, Cinema, True Cinema or Custom options..... a few times it has shown with Ultra Vivid as the chosen option, if it shows press the enter button and the extended menu will now show, if it doesn't show, press return to quit the MENU screen and then repeat, quit , repeat etc till it does.

I suspect there is some sort of button pressing routine that can get you into the TV's service menu, which I suspect within it might be the option to show and use this extended menu permanently, I certainly hope, it would be awesome.

I've seen this before!!

I put it down to the input source. When watching 4k content it came up, when not 4k it didn't (from memory)

Yeah, I think you could have something there.

I could get it to come up pretty easily when playing back one of the HD TV channels, but not when playing back a non HD channel, I'm guessing it's because the TV is upscaling the 1080i HD signal but keeping the REC709 colour space.

Ironically when you switch in the TV GUIDE while this upscaling is happening, and also have the MENU screen open, the colour space [if you check it] would have changed to Native.

I'll have to try it with both my 4K disc player and PS4 Pro and report back.

Despite internet searches I have yet to find if there is a service menu on this TV, let alone how one would get into it.

Most of the usual settings that historically can be found in a TV's service menu are already available in the EX780a's advanced settings menu, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one.

Edited by Tweaky

On 15/10/2018 at 9:25 PM, Tweaky said:

I've just been attempting adjusting the picture settings on my Panasonic 65EX780a and a strange thing happened, a much extended options in the picture settings suddenly appeared by accident, I got out of it before I realized what was listed, with a OH NO....how did I do that?

After trying to figure out just what I did to make it appear, I managed to get it back up again, it seems it's a bit hit or miss if it comes up, and as yet I haven't been able to actually select any of these advance settings, but I intend to persist, as if you look at the photo below there a lot of the presets found on the top of the range Panasonic OLED's....Pro 1 and 2 and two ISF settings.

746099983_PanasonicEX780afullpicturemenu.thumb.JPG.75e7c788fa583a808f41a370a6f96dce.JPG

Maybe if a few others owning this TV had a go, between us we might be able to work out how to get them up and running.

Firstly you have to be in TV mode, press the GUIDE button and have the guide showing on the screen, then press the MENU button to come up over the top of it, now this is the hit or miss part, if the extended menu comes up it will show a different option than the usual Dynamic, Normal, Cinema, True Cinema or Custom options..... a few times it has shown with Ultra Vivid as the chosen option, if it shows press the enter button and the extended menu will now show, if it doesn't show, press return to quit the MENU screen and then repeat, quit , repeat etc till it does.

I suspect there is some sort of button pressing routine that can get you into the TV's service menu, which I suspect within it might be the option to show and use this extended menu permanently, I certainly hope, it would be awesome.

OK, so I had a crack at getting the menu up and it comes up as you say, when you are in the guide. But, as you have found Tweaky, I can't activate any of the presets?

You can change them though once you are in that extended menu.

All you have to do is press ENTER for the amount of times equal to the listing in the menu,[ So from Ultra Vivid to PRO 1 you would press enter 10 times] press return then go back again and that preset will be the one chosen....in active unfortunately.

I know Panasonics menu system is based on a old FIREFOX open sourced code, maybe that's where questions should be made.

If that is correct, then it would be possible to open this menu up fully, "BUT" I suspect there would be no actual settings for those specific presets currently coded within the TV's software, that's why we can't open them.

It could be done, that would have taken time and repeatability screen to screen, which I don't think Panasonic based into this particular model TV/ price range....it could have it it wanted to, but didn't.

Then again, it doesn't mean if this open code couldn't be populated with the suitable settings at a later date if some enterprising person took the task to heart....guess that would be a group effort, to much for one person to do.

Edited by Tweaky

4 hours ago, Tweaky said:

I know Panasonics menu system is based on a old FIREFOX open sourced code, maybe that's where questions should be made.

If that is correct, then it would be possible to open this menu up fully, "BUT" I suspect there would be no actual settings for those specific presets currently coded within the TV's software, that's why we can't open them.

It could be done, that would have taken time and repeatability screen to screen, which I don't think Panasonic based into this particular model TV/ price range....it could have it it wanted to, but didn't.

It wouldn't be the 1st time a generic menu was used for different series Tweaky to save $ ; in fact looking at the pana spec page for our 780a's ; you can see what the top of the line gets with a 'y' .. your cal settings must be close or better than the THX preset anyway Ide venture :) 

Vivid Digital Pro
4K Upscaling Y
Ultra HD Premium*1
HDR Y (Multi HDR Support)
Pixel Dimming
Local Dimming Y
Adaptive Backlight Dimming
Noise Reduction Y(Multi Noise)
THX Certified Display*2
4K Pure Direct Y
isf Mode

A few minutes ago my TV detected there is a system update for the EX780a's out V 4.211, there is no information at the Panasonic site about it, I'm just wondering if it's the update from HDR-10 to HDR-10+ like the latest Panasonic TV's and 4K disc players have, there was mention about these TV's were going to get it last year......I suppose I should turn on my Panasonic 4K disc player and see if there is a update for that as well.

Pity the info on what the update contains isn't given prior to installing it.

Just having a very brief look through the menus and haven't noticed any changes.

My 65EX780 just updated about 30 minutes ago.

Likewise, I do not notice any obvious differences in menus/settings/options etc.

Maybe just apps are affected?

Youtube does now play in HDR (if available in a video), but can't recall offhand if it did or didn't previously.

No Amazon Prime subscription, so can not check if that app also changed.  

Disappointing and frustrating that Panasonic do not list any real info about their updates.

If we are lucky, it does have the HDR10+ update, but without and actual verified content available to play I don't know if anyone can check/confirm. 

51 minutes ago, Lynne Mangold said:

no update for me still have 4.142 but mine is 75 inch, I assume the firmware does get sent out to all sized at the same time.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/tv/download/fw/asia_2017/down_asia_oce_me_02.html

Either you need to have the TV set to update automatically , which obviously needs continuous internet access [ you can choose how often it checks, which might be why your TV has yet to do so], or you can go into settings and ask the TV to check for updates straight away, which is what I do regularly anyway.

There was no update for my Panasonic 4K disc player by the way.

50 minutes ago, abeernut said:

If we are lucky, it does have the HDR10+ update, but without and actual verified content available to play I don't know if anyone can check/confirm. 

Not yet but in a few weeks we will :) https://hdguru.com/first-imax-enhanced-hdr10-uhd-blu-ray-titles-revealed/

A coincidence this firmware is timed now ? Anyone with a 820 or next model down ? There the ones with plus .

Edited by cwt

They would need to update the 4k Disc players as well, which they haven't....as yet..... to take advantage of HDR-10+ encoding.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, I can see both pros and cons of having gamma changing on the fly with HDR-10+, I think it will depend on what gamma you have your TV calibrated at if you get more punch/HDR Brightness, or a washed out/ over bright picture, per scene.

And if this HDR-10+ update [if that IS what we got] effects the Brick-wall Tone-mapping every TV manufacture uses to increase contrast, I don't know.

My ChromaPure calibration software had a major update, and I'm still getting my head around what now might be possible.

It now apparently [from reading the software update info] has been given internal UHDR internal test patterns.

To do all previous REC709/BT1886 calibrations I've been able to run  it from a Laptop, but if I want to do UHDR calibrations with these new in built test patterns, I'll need to use the BEAST, which is a purpose built desktop PC than has a high end graphic card that will output in 4K , and move that into the loungeroom for the task.

A major PITA, but that means a LOT LESS need to use a extra remote to source UHDR Test patterns from a 4 K Disc player as well, the major reason I haven't given REC 2020 calibration settings to date.

If you knew how much remote button pressing is required for a calibration, even at REC 709 with in-built test patterns, you would realize why I've only been testing the waters with REC2020 calibration using outboard test discs, as it's pretty much double that, and as a subsequence, can get quite confusing, if not remote control throwing frustrating when you realize you are trying to adjust something with the wrong remote, and end up adjusting a previously set parameter.  image.gif.2761dfe9e3c608ffb745f5cdf599c6a0.gif

EDIT....Sadly it would seem from the link Lynne gave that this update is only a Network related system update....disappointing.

Edited by Tweaky