Sign in to follow this  
Wags69

Panasonic 65"/75" EX780

On 17/03/2019 at 1:55 PM, Wags69 said:

Stan, shmam.....give us HDR10+!!

Hi Wags.

New software update for our TVs just released.

Are you able to verify if HDR10+ is included ?

(I don't have an HDR10+ player to confirm it myself).

Cheers.

After seeing this post I checked, my TV auto updated without any notification, but, the ABC iView App also needed updating, and my Panasonic 4k Disc player also got a update when I turned it on 4 hours ago.

I also went straight to the Panasonic website, and as reported above, it only said improved network applications.

Since both Panasonic 4K units both got a system update, I'd speculate that maybe HDR-10+ was part of that update....??

No way to really easily tell immediately unless using Netflix and viewing content that uses the HDR-10+ codec, and it happens to be media you have already watched previously.

The difference will be in the extreme highlights.

What detail was previously washed out will now show graduation of tone......it's a very subtle effect.

Edited by Tweaky

On 16/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, abeernut said:

My EX780 updated itself to latest software 4.232 today.

Can anyone verify this includes the HDR10+ upgrade?

The Panasonic site release info, as usual, just says improve network applications.

I don't currently have a device to play HDR10+ content to double check.

Much appreciated.

I saw that two different people  at the UK's AVS forum sent Panasonic a email asking if the EX780 got the HDR-10+ update....reply below.

First response :

In response to your query the software update for HDR 10+ was for the 2018 models as the 2017 models received an update to HDR10.

Second response:

Thank you for your e-mail.
In response to your query unfortunately the update was for HDR 10 not 10+ as the unit will not support that.
HDR10+ could only be implemented on 2018 models onwards.
I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you.
However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,
Zack
Panasonic Customer Care Team

I'm unsure exactly what this means, as some at that forum are saying that their EX780's can now do HDR-10+ with update V 3.231, as if you are playing back known HDR-10+ content, you just press the INFO button on your TV's remote and the HDR-10+ Logo appears.

Here's a list of 4K discs that have HDR-10+ [Of course you need a 4K disc player that also plays HDR-10+]

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300877

EDIT: Two things, first I see at the Panasonic website that the 65" model EX780a is not included on the list for the V 4.232 update, but the 58" and 75" models are, it might just be a omission as my 65" did get the update.

Secondly, somebody at the forum posted this: Check the Setup->HDMI HDR setting [only appears when you have a 4K signal being sent to the TV]. If it lets you choose between ON and OFF then it is not HDR10+ capable. If it lets you choose between Static, Dynamic and OFF, then it can display HDR10+ with the proper sources and will display a HDR10+ logo instead of HDR(PQ) when it's the case."

My 65" only gives the ON or OFF option.

So the situation is confusing as Panasonic themselves say NO, the EX780a / EX750 in UK did not get the HDR-10+ update, but yet some AVS forum members say it works.

I don't know what or who to believe.

You can read the whole confusing mess of what's going on in the UK from page 111 of the Panasonic EX750 owners thread [EX780a in OZ]

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-ex750-owners-thread.2084911/page-111

Edited by Tweaky

This is a good reason to finally buy a newer pana UHD model . The pana reps seem to be reading from the spec sheets of newer models and had no idea on the promise for those with the extreme chipset ; fx models got hdr10+ and ours were already capable of hdr10 - so they got it 1/2 right :rolleyes:

Hard to contradict this screen shot from Cornish Pete showing dynamic metadata rather than fixed hdr10 [ if the 750 is a 780a clone]

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-ex750-owners-thread.2084911/post-27456719

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-ex750-owners-thread.2084911/post-27456225

I think the confusion [on Panasonic's part, if they are indeed wrong] might be because there was also a 50" EX750 model released, but only in the UK/ Euro

From what I remember reading about it, it was a slightly lesser spec'd version of the 58"65" and 75" EX750/780's.

The person that posted about HDMI HDR settings now showing that there were 3 options with the new update originally posted about it in the FZ Model owners thread, and then posted it again in the EX owners thread.

Just because one model of TV shows new options since the update doesn't necessarily mean the same options will appear on a different model, so I don't know if he is correct or not in the new options showing up being the proof that HDR-10+ has been installed or not.

There are a few other things to bare in mind, first is if you are running any HDR-10+ source through a HT amp that isn't HDR-10+ compatible the options won't show, second might be that the new 3 options in the HDMI HDR section might only show up where a HDR-10+ signal is detected, much as when the whole HDMI HDR section does not show in the menu unless a 4K HDR signal is detected.

I turned on my Panasonic UB400 4K disc player yesterday for the first time in weeks, and that also had a unexpected update, and as with the EX780 TV there is sod all explanation on Panasonic's website on what that update contained / did, maybe HDR-10+ as well ?, since I don't have any 4K discs that have been encoded with HDR-10+ I don't know, I might go and buy one tomorrow just to find out.

I don't have Netflix [My internet would be too slow for HD streaming], but I googled to see if Netflix in Australia used the HDR-10+ codec with it's HDR signal and the result was yes since August.

But here lies another problem, according to a few posts at the AVS forum, according to Panasonic, HDR-10+ is only available if it sent via HDMI or USB, so maybe using the TV's inbuilt Netflix app won't show if it's working either.

If that is correct, the only way to find out is if you had another device that streamed Netflix HD and plugged that directly into the TV HDMI port 1 or 2, then pressed the info button on your TV to see if the HDR-10+ logo appeared.

What a farcical situation

3 hours ago, Tweaky said:

The person that posted about HDMI HDR settings now showing that there were 3 options with the new update originally posted about it in the FZ Model owners thread, and then posted it again in the EX owners thread.

Just because one model of TV shows new options since the update doesn't necessarily mean the same options will appear on a different model, so I don't know if he is correct or not in the new options showing up being the proof that HDR-10+ has been installed or not.

There are a few other things to bare in mind, first is if you are running any HDR-10+ source through a HT amp that isn't HDR-10+ compatible the options won't show, second might be that the new 3 options in the HDMI HDR section might only show up where a HDR-10+ signal is detected, much as when the whole HDMI HDR section does not show in the menu unless a 4K HDR signal is detected.

I turned on my Panasonic UB400 4K disc player yesterday for the first time in weeks, and that also had a unexpected update, and as with the EX780 TV there is sod all explanation on Panasonic's website on what that update contained / did, maybe HDR-10+ as well ?, since I don't have any 4K discs that have been encoded with HDR-10+ I don't know, I might go and buy one tomorrow just to find out. 

If it was a Fz model that certainly puts a new light on things . Yes its hard to interpret what your 400 upgrade means' as with all of them..

• Playability of Blu-ray Disc™
    • Stability of system

• Funnily enough my 900 is still on the latest ver 1.79exe from 13 june last year ' will be interesting to see when they do the "dear " model update on the site :whistle:  Will have to hook it up for auto notification again . Good chance the 10+ metadata may activate the new menu hidden in the receiving chipset ; I hadnt thought of that possibility ..

Edited by cwt

4 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Hi Tweaky, thanks for your response and info.

Yes, it is a crazy situation.

I had read elsewhere other messages about the HDMI HDR setting options including Dynamic, Static and Off as options available after their HDR10+ update but I am thinking ("hoping") that via handshaking this depends on the HDMI device actually being capable of outputting the data (to trigger these options).

As my (Sony X800) player is not capable of dynamic data (neither Dolby Vision nor HDR10+)  the options may be restricted to only Off and On (as currently shown on my TV after the update).

If, however, the options are independent of whatever device is connected (or not) to HDMI input then, unfortunately, it seems our TVs are not yet HDR10+ capable.

Perhaps if someone with an HDR10+ capable player AND has updated their TV software  AND has  an HDR10+ disc (not necessarily easy to tell if disc has it or not from what I have read) can verify if our TV will have these setting options and thus display HDR10+ or not would be appreciated.

PS.

Hopefully your eye problem (not related to head butting ladders?) is resolved soon and you can see clearly now/soon to fully enjoy your home theatre.

Actually I didn't think of the previous ladder indecent [fractured skull] as the possible start of the detached retina, the Dr's did ask me is I had suffered any knocks or falls.

Back on the HDR-10+ front, the other problem with the way Panasonic rolls out updates is it tends to do it country by country, and due to the always scant details there is no way of telling if what one country gets will be exactly the same for another.

It seems like opinion is a 50/50  split at the AV forum on if the EX780/750 did get the HDR-10+ update.

I'm going to go to JB tomorrow and buy the 4K version of Alita Battle Angel, as that is a known HDR-10+ encoded disc [Not much choice re HDR-10+ encoded discs ATM, and what there is is pretty crap ]

This will also allow me to see if my UB400 with the V1.82 software is now able to decoded HDR-10+, well I suppose it still depends if the TV now does as well....see what happens.

I think I have solved the mystery of why I, or anybody else that's not in the UK/Ireland haven't got HDR-10+ in their latest system software update.

I've just been going through the Panasonic download information page and looking at each regions latest software update.
Interesting
From what I can gather the UK/Ireland are the only ones who TV's got the HDR-10+ update, all the other regions are one number further along in the update sequence......and missing the HDR-10+ update.

The first number after the V must donate the region
UK got V3.231
Canada got V2.232
Oceania/Asia got V4.232
Same goes for other regions.

This sucks.

BUT I think there is a solution.....in theory at least, not sure what problems, if any, might occur, so attempt at own risk.
You can update your TV's software by formatting a SD car so your TV can read it, you then download the software update for the UK/Ireland section of the website below for your TV onto that SD card, then overwrite your current software with the UK/Ireland one that has HDR-10+.

It should be OK, as we use the same TV system and the same voltage power, so you could think of it as similar to bringing your Panasonic TV from the UK over with you if you moved here, although I imagine once done you would need to turn off automatic software updates.

By the way, I was also reliably informed that my Panasonic UB400, despite getting a software update, is NOT HDR-10+ compliant......saves me buying a rather crappy HDR-10+ encoded 4k Disc from the few that are available.

EDIT: I've decided NOT to try installing the UK version of the system software, as from reading what might change would be the ability to pick up FTA TV and apps like the ABC's iView and SBS on demand might cease working.

Instead I've taken to writing a email to Panasonic asking for a explanation on why only the UK got the HDR-10+ update, and the rest of the world got a different, later modified version of the UK update, that deleted the HDR-10+ upgrade from it.
I explained that EX owners at both this and the AVforum would like to know, and that their own software version number designation gives it away that this was done on purpose.
Edited by Tweaky

In 2017 and again in 2018, Samsung promised to upgrade the KS 8000 TV to HDR 10+;  but it never happened. 

Its a shame because HDR 10+ on Prime Video titles, really pop on my Samsung Q8FN, whereas the same shows on the KS 8000 have no where near the same amount of immersion. 

The manufacturers want consumers to buy the latest models;  they do this by de-optimising TVs purchased a couple of years prior through firmware upgrades that reduce black levels and by not providing the latest features such as HDR 10+.    This has been going on for several years and...………….it really sucks.  

6 hours ago, pc9 said:

In 2017 and again in 2018, Samsung promised to upgrade the KS 8000 TV to HDR 10+;  but it never happened. 

Its a shame because HDR 10+ on Prime Video titles, really pop on my Samsung Q8FN, whereas the same shows on the KS 8000 have no where near the same amount of immersion. 

The manufacturers want consumers to buy the latest models;  they do this by de-optimising TVs purchased a couple of years prior through firmware upgrades that reduce black levels and by not providing the latest features such as HDR 10+.    This has been going on for several years and...………….it really sucks.  

I didn't realize things had sunken that low as to manufacturers De-optimising a TV's Black level.......do you have proof of this?

I have my own calibration gear, and have not as yet noticed any De-optimisingof Balck level on my not quite two year old Panasonic EX model TV.

Panasonic use Mozilla open source software on it's TV's and Disc players

I'm currently looking at which file comparison software I should ue to compare the V*.231 update which has the HDR-10 decoder package, and the V*.232 which we got, that does not.

I suspect that V*.232 has had a simple edit to the install instruction line, telling it not to install on TV's in the effected regions.

The plot thickens.

Panasonic have now been caught Red handed denying all regions except UK/IRELAND/EURO the HDR-10+ decoder for the EX model in the last update.

The smoking Gun.

In a response from Panasonic Germany about a query regarding the HDR-10+ update, this was part of the reply.

QUOTE: "It was a last minute decision from the Marketing and Development departments to provide the HDR10+ update on the 2017 TVs anyway."

Which would also mean it was also a decision by the same dept to alter the update to a newer V*232 that bricked the HDR-10+ decoder from installing in all other regions.

This would also make any excuse on Panasonic's part that the HDR-10+ decoder could not be applied to the regions that didn't get it, on technical grounds, as pure BS.

Not that they have replied to my email on why we have been denied it as yet.

I got a reply, and it's just as I expected.🤬

Thank you for contacting Panasonic Australia.
HDR10+ update will only be available on selected models for Panasonic Australia.
Included models are the following:
TH-65FZ1000U / TH-55FZ1000U / TH-65FZ950U / TH-55FZ950U / TH-65FX800A / TH-55FX800A / TH-75FX780A  / TH-65FX700A / TH-55FX700A / TH-65FX600A / TH-55FX600A / TH-49FX600A / TH-43FX600A
Please be advise that EX series has no HDR 10+ update.
As of date, there is no plan to upgrade it to HDR 10+.

For further enquiries, feel free to contact us
Regards,

Eduard Anthony De Asis
Panasonic Customer Care

I wish I was going to be there to see his face when he reads my reply 😀

Panasonic would have to really stupid to not fix this.

Well, my FX 800 is on the list  -  what is needed to see HDR10+  and how will l know.

YOUTUBE has clips and my pic settings do change for them, but only shows that it is HDR.

2 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Well, my FX 800 is on the list  -  what is needed to see HDR10+  and how will l know.

YOUTUBE has clips and my pic settings do change for them, but only shows that it is HDR.

Your safe Grumpy ;your model is newer and not on a promise like ours .. but listed in the specs . It will likely read something like dynamic[hdr10+] or standard in your hdr menu[ when activated by firmware]  .  if hdr auto is able to be selected the tv will auto switch to the correct bt2020 colour space.  The US discs are here 

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=300877

Our discs hopefully the same 😁

14 hours ago, Grumpy said:

You can tell if your TV got the update by simply having any 4K device turned on and sending a signal to the TV.

When a 4K signal is detected, more options appear in the settings menu.

The one you want to look at is the HDMI HDR setting.

If the update has been applied the options would have changed from just ON or OFF to OFF, STATIC and DYNAMIC...the last being HDR-10+

As for the update I mentioned earlier that my Panasonic UB400 got, well sadly it's been confirmed that it did not,nor will it ever, and I imagine this applies to any of that generation of Panasonic 4k disc players  will get the HDR-10+ update.

And that's not a regional thing, that's worldwide.

AS for the reply I got from Panasonic regarding the EX780a not getting the update....well, you don't think I left it at that do you? 😀🤬

Here's a copy of a post I made at the UK's AVforum yesterday, I'd just posted a copy of Panasonics reply [the one I posted above]

I'd headed , Do you want a good laugh ? And it is a reply to the reply I got from Panasonic yesterday.

Feel free to contact us...OK I will.
I bet he will regret typing those words once he reads the reply I just sent him....see below.
By the way, my reply was to hopefully get a fix for ALL REGIONS that didn't get the HDR-10+ decoder in their regions latest update, not just my region 4.

Dear Eduard.

Where do I start ?

This is going to be a long read, so get a cup of coffee and a biscuit.....maybe a pot of coffee and a few biscuits.

Let start with some facts, that I'll prove to you by the use of information easily verified by visting Pansonic's own websites, and with the addition of copy of a email sent to another Panasonic EX780a/750 owner from PANASONIC, then we shall see what course of action you would like to take to ammend the situation, before Panasonic finds itself with a PR disaster on it's hands, one that is purely of it's own making.

By the way, I'm not having a go at you personally, but you are the Panasonic representative that has found themselves stuck having to deal with me....I'll tell you in a momentt who at Panasonic who you should get on to, to say fix this now, you have put us in this situation, it's embarassing.

I'll just start by saying the situation could very easily be fixed by Panasonic, if they choose to do so.

Also a explanation of Pansonic's software udates, if you didn't know already, and how to decode them.

Each region has it's own code, but the update numbers themselves stay the same.....so it goes like this. V..then Region Code. then the actual update number.

2 is North America [Canada basically since Panasonic is no longer available on the USA market]
3 is UK/Ireland/Euro/CIS
4 is Oceania/Asia/Africa/Middle East
9 is Latin America

You can verify this by going to Pansonics own site a checking each different region.
Download Information of TV | Download | TV | Digital AV | Support | Panasonic Global

Now a bit of info about the 2017 EX range that was superceded last year with the FX range.

It was multi tiered, there was the lesser EX600 edge lit range, and the top of the line EX780a with VA panels and the same top of the line processing chip as found in Panasonics OLED TV's.

The 780a was sold with the promise of future HDR-10+ update.....which has happened, and people have got it and using it, but only in the UK/IRELAND/EURO region, where the EX780a was sold as the EX750...it's EXACTLY the same TV, only the model number differs.

Now this update that the above region got was called V3.231, this update contained the HDR-10+ decoder that once installed, changes the option in the HDMI HDR menu from what was prior to the update, just ON or OFF, to once the HDR-10+ decoder is installed now shows OFF, STATIC and DYNAMIC...the last being the HDR-10+ decoding.

Now there was a lot of confusion from various Panasonic support people when questioned regarding this update, and if the EX750/780a actually DID get the HDR-10+ decoder, a lot of the support Panasonic support people, like yourself said NO it didn't.

But then those in Region 3 started reporting that, yes, it does indeed have the HDR-10+ decoder, and many a screen shot of the HDR-+ logo when watching Amazon HDR have been posted at the UK's AVforum, which I have been a member of for many years, as well as many other Audio Visual related forums worlwide.

Not only that, they also posted pictures of the changes to the HDMI HDR menu, showing the new options....so there is undeniable proof that they were telling the truth.

So where did it all go wrong for the rest of the world regarding this update?

Why didn't WE get it with the last update that came out on the 16th of this month?

Here's a hint.... A Copy of the reply a forum member in Germany got from Panasonic when questioning about HDR-10+ and if it was going to work on his EX750/780a.

Bezug nehmend auf Ihre Anfrage teilen wir Ihnen mit, dass es uns natürlich sehr leidtut, dass die Kommunikationen was das HDR10+ Update betrifft, so abgelaufen sind. Es war eine kurzfristige Entscheidung vom Marketing und der Entwicklungsabteilung, dann doch das HDR10+ Update auf den 2017 TV-Geräten bereitzustellen.

Translation

Of course we are very sorry that the communication about the HDR10+ update happened like that. It was a last minute decision from the Marketing and Development departments to provide the HDR10+ update on the 2017 TVs anyway."

So we now know who at Panasonic made the decision to make the 2017 model EX750/780a HDR-10+ compatible, the Marketing and Development departments.

So by all rights, the same situation should have happened here for EX780a owners, when we got the V4.231 update on the 16th OCT.

It didn't happen, and here is the crux of the whole problem your have been lunbered to sort out, as I, and all those other EX780a owners that I am with regular contact with are really pissed off about.

[ I Calibrate TV's and PJ's, and have been for years, I have shared several different Calibration setting for the EX780a at a power gamma, and BT1886 with all EX750 and EX780a owners worldwide, at several diffewrnt forums, that's how I know a LOT of owners]

Problem was we didn't get V4.231 we got V4.232, and that version has obviously been modified to deliberately stop the HDR-10+ decoder installing ......as a bit of a computer nerd, I imagine that is the course of action was taken to modify the update, as it's far easier to do that , than it is to remove a whole bunch of code from a otherwise perfectly written software update, especially for the person that has been charged to do it, as they would have to done it for the other two effected regions as well.

So there you have it, now you know the problem.

Here's the recommended fix, it would be easy to do, and could be implemented very quickly.

Simply have the person charged with writing the software updates, to release another modified modifed version [sarcasm ], one that unlocks the HDR-10+ decoder for the effect regions, just as it should of done in the first place.

I strongly suspect it would only take a change to one line of code, much like you can turn options on or off by editing a coputers OS registry.

Sorry for putting you in this position, but Panasonic has been caught out, and because it is easily verifiable that the desicion to deny whole regions a update, all because of misguided desicion by the Marketing dept, it does not look good [especially when the HDR-10+ is a FREE open source codec, it makes this action look even more petty .....if it were a denial of a software update to include Dolby Vision, it would be understandable, as that is licenced software, but it isn't.]

Panasonic is going to lose a lot of face with customers worldwide, if and when the news gets out about what's gone down.....Just saying....plenty of Tech writers would love the story, especially as it's provable.

Looking forward to some good news, maybe a announcement along the lines that Panasonic 'surprisingly found' that the missing HDR-10+ codec was a mistake on tha pert of the software writers, and that a new update is hastily being readied for the effect regions to include it....bring on updates V 2.33......V4.33 and of course V4.33

Regards.

PS. Feel free to send a copy of this email to those A-Holes at Panasonics Marketing and Development departments.

DAMM I just realized my spelling checker didn't work, it sucks typing when I can only use one eye ATM

I wonder what will happen now ?

Edited by Tweaky

Well I got another absolutely useless reply from our so called Australian Panasonic support Dept.

His reply was along the lines of, "I checked with our technical dept and that's what they told me".....a  total waste of time communicating with them further, as I'm obviously talking to useless office drones.

I warned them, and I gave them a chance, but they didn't take it.

So, I did what I said I was going to do.

I've just sent a email to Peter Wells who writes the Tech columns in the Sydney Morning Herald ...usually found at the back page of the SMH's 'The Guide' week long TV guide that comes out on a Monday.

I worded it much more prosaically than my reply email to Panasonic , explaining the situation, presenting the facts, showing the evidence, and asking for his assistance.

I asked if he could either find a way to get through to somebody at Panasonic and have the update fixed so we get HDR-10+, or to Name and Shame Panasonic in print for what they have underhandedly  done to the Australian Panasonic customers....if it happens to us now, it will happen again and again....time to take a stance.

If on the other hand feels he can't assist, if he could recommend  a course of action that we EX780a owners could take.

Just purchased 55GX1000 for the bedroom before panasonic disappeared for AU, and the HDR setting is showing as dynamic and also have dolby vision.

at least I have one tv with 10+

Edited by Lynne Mangold