Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I'm being told all types of ETA, Late February, March, April, May.

Who decides who gets what share ? Is it not first in first server, no matter the name behind the retailer ?

yeh myer yesterday told me if i order now i would be waiting till June as the only get 2 per month for all myer QLD stores and there is 7 on back order

but they will price match with the lowest price on this thread which is good

just need to go to a few other stores to see if anyone wants to beat myer's price as i don't normally buy from them (but i will if no one else even comes close) to the $5100 + EW + delivery

Edited by DBL15

yeh myer yesterday told me if i order now i would be waiting till June as the only get 2 per month for all myer QLD stores and there is 7 on back order

but they will price match with the lowest price on this thread which is good

just need to go to a few other stores to see if anyone wants to beat myer's price as i don't normally buy from them (but i will if no one else even comes close) to the $5100 + EW + delivery

Streamaster can get it to you in two weeks but be prepared for a price hike.

See my previous post above for the link

Edited by CC Rider

dropped an SD card with a few pics on it the other day into my V10 58" (very similar to the 65"). Was pleased and surprised to see that the Pana gave us some reasonable background music all of its own. Ideal for a 5 minute picture review. And, the audio got passed back to the amp via the optical cable (as we don't use the TV speakers).

The Pana keeps delivering!

Benje

Streamaster can get it to you in two weeks but be prepared for a price hike.

See my previous post above for the link

why a price hike? if i order for that price then i get it for that price? yes or no ?

i have not built my house yet so a june or july delievery will work perfectly with my 16 week house build that starts in about 2 or 3 weeks time

and i am in qld so i don't want to buy from down south and then have to get is delivered to storage or something like that.

but keen to hear why there would be a price hike?

why a price hike? if i order for that price then i get it for that price? yes or no ?

i have not built my house yet so a june or july delievery will work perfectly with my 16 week house build that starts in about 2 or 3 weeks time

and i am in qld so i don't want to buy from down south and then have to get is delivered to storage or something like that.

Give Craig from Streamaster a call and ask him

Edited by CC Rider

If you dont actually need it within a month i would wait till you have built your house. With all this hype of 3D it might be worth the wait or might not be but no harm in waiting considering your in no rush. Only drama is that normally the 65's are last to be released on the new years models but as everythign is not going to be all about 3d hype/crap (depending your take on the matter) 2d displays will come down.

So wait a few months and you could save yourself a few penny's

I hope you are building yourself, as no one I have ever known who has built a project home by many of the well known builders has ever had their home built to schedule.

If you dont actually need it within a month i would wait till you have built your house. With all this hype of 3D it might be worth the wait or might not be but no harm in waiting considering your in no rush. Only drama is that normally the 65's are last to be released on the new years models but as everythign is not going to be all about 3d hype/crap (depending your take on the matter) 2d displays will come down.

So wait a few months and you could save yourself a few penny's

The word as I understand it is that the Pana 3Ds are going to RRP about 20% above the V10 series for the vt25 which is the only set coming in over 50 inch (vt20 limitted to 50 inch like current "G" series and also less features). This suggests the vt25 might be in the realms of $8K RRP and hence MAY sell in the real world around $6800-$7000, though given hype and likely demand from those looking to "future-proof" their purchase it may not be easy to get below $7500 for the first few months. Add to this the normal Panasonic timetable of releasing the lower models first (vt20)around June, the 50vt25 a couple of months later (August) the 58vt25 three months later (November) and the 65vt25 three further months (Feb 2011). Add to this a 2-3 month backlog in orders for all but the very lucky few and you could be looking at May/June 2011 delivery on the 65vt25 and paying $7500.

Pure speculation based on past Panasonic product release timetable but it echoes the last few years in terms of relative timings.

Now some bits which are less speculative and are based on industry analysis, quotes from TV executives and official TV sale figures. You will only have a measly 9 movie titles in 3D blu-Ray at the time you get the set in Early 2011 - most of which you have likely already seen and half the rest being kids cartoons like Toy Story 3D - and you likely only have 2 or 3 movies you would want to watch and haven't already seen. There are likely to be another 5-6 worthwhile 3D blu-rays in 2011 of the 12 slated for release that year. I reckon the 3D would be used for little more than curio value for your friends until at least 2013 or 2014 when there may be a reasonable number of 3D titles available on blu-ray. I would doubt we will see 3D FTA until at least 2015/2016 given the high bandwidth requirements and incompatibility with non-3D sets which will make up over 90% of TVs for at least the next few years. No TV station has committed to any 3D broadcasts. I think it was a channel 7 exec that said there was no plan for 3D broadcasts "in the foreseeable future (until 2012 at least)" but that they are watching with interest, mindful of the minute numbers of 3D sets for at least the next 5 years, even if every set sold from now on was 3D. Note that for Panasonic only their top models will have 3D in 2010 with most of the range not having 3D capabilities.

I doubt 2D prices will fall dramatically more than they have already in the past year - just that 3D sets will be sold as premium, and hence highly priced, products.

Edited by koolkat

Koolcat, this is the best and most sensible & informative review on what may happen I've seen to date, well done.

My beef with 3D has been the wearing of the Clark Kent glasses, it did not work before and won't went in arrives, its a gimmick IMO, an expensive one at that.

The word as I understand it is that the Pana 3Ds are going to RRP about 20% above the V10 series for the vt25 which is the only set coming in over 50 inch (vt20 limitted to 50 inch like current "G" series and also less features). This suggests the vt25 might be in the realms of $8K RRP and hence MAY sell in the real world around $6800-$7000, though given hype and likely demand from those looking to "future-proof" their purchase it may not be easy to get below $7500 for the first few months. Add to this the normal Panasonic timetable of releasing the lower models first (vt20)around June, the 50vt25 a couple of months later (August) the 58vt25 three months later (November) and the 65vt25 three further months (Feb 2011). Add to this a 2-3 month backlog in orders for all but the very lucky few and you could be looking at May/June 2011 delivery on the 65vt25 and paying $7500.

Pure speculation based on past Panasonic product release timetable but it echoes the last few years in terms of relative timings.

Now some bits which are less speculative and are based on industry analysis, quotes from TV executives and official TV sale figures. You will only have a measly 9 movie titles in 3D blu-Ray at the time you get the set in Early 2011 - most of which you have likely already seen and half the rest being kids cartoons like Toy Story 3D - and you likely only have 2 or 3 movies you would want to watch and haven't already seen. There are likely to be another 5-6 worthwhile 3D blu-rays in 2011 of the 12 slated for release that year. I reckon the 3D would be used for little more than curio value for your friends until at least 2013 or 2014 when there may be a reasonable number of 3D titles available on blu-ray. I would doubt we will see 3D FTA until at least 2015/2016 given the high bandwidth requirements and incompatibility with non-3D sets which will make up over 90% of TVs for at least the next few years. No TV station has committed to any 3D broadcasts. I think it was a channel 7 exec that said there was no plan for 3D broadcasts "in the foreseeable future (until 2012 at least)" but that they are watching with interest, mindful of the minute numbers of 3D sets for at least the next 5 years, even if every set sold from now on was 3D. Note that for Panasonic only their top models will have 3D in 2010 with most of the range not having 3D capabilities.

I doubt 2D prices will fall dramatically more than they have already in the past year - just that 3D sets will be sold as premium, and hence highly priced, products.

Now is the best time to secure a 58 or 65 set that is made in Japan. Otherwise the next V series will be 3D.

Devil's advocate for a second...

The current 65V10 was almost 50% reduction RRP on the outgoing 65PZ850. With the new plasma manufacturing plant in Japan fully opened and operational, panels will be flying out of the factory and pricing must come down to maintain production lines...

New model 2D sets should be going for less, 3D sets maybe at current pricing levels...

but I do agree 3D TV is still in it's infancy and is at least 2-3 years away from makingh any major mainstream in roads. The hardware will be available long before any real content. 3D bluray players with HDDs maybe a smarter sales move from the like of Sony who can push out online sales of content if they ever get their act together.

Devil's advocate for a second...

The current 65V10 was almost 50% reduction RRP on the outgoing 65PZ850. With the new plasma manufacturing plant in Japan fully opened and operational, panels will be flying out of the factory and pricing must come down to maintain production lines...

New model 2D sets should be going for less, 3D sets maybe at current pricing levels...

but I do agree 3D TV is still in it's infancy and is at least 2-3 years away from makingh any major mainstream in roads. The hardware will be available long before any real content. 3D bluray players with HDDs maybe a smarter sales move from the like of Sony who can push out online sales of content if they ever get their act together.

Devil's advocate to the Devil's advocate........

It is worth noting that panasonic already have many factories manufacturing plasma panels, as do LG and Samsung and they still have trouble keeping up with demand despite the "global financial crisis" which has hit harder in the US and Europe than here.

http://www.cnet.com.au/panasonic-to-pump-u...-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

from the above: "Panasonic believes that the global PDP market will expand from 10 million panels this year to 25 million by 2010, so with the added capacity, it plans to maintain the 40 percent market share it claims to currently enjoy. The company sees the growth coming from commercial, educational and medical applications, as well as increasing home theatre use."

Based on this it seems that they predict plasma panel production will not swamp the market but rather just keep up with demand. They have four factories already and Samsung and LG likely add another 10-15 plants to that. One extra, even if pretty big, would be unlikely to swamp the market.

It is quite possible that 3D sets will come in about the price of the current 2D sets, however the precedent set in Japan shows them to be about $US800 more than the current equivalent 2D sets.

see: http://gizmodo.com/5467627/panasonics-firs...priced-at-5900)

They estimate US price of the 54 inch set at $5900 - so likely considerably more here (Note that RRP of 65v10 in the US is $US 3999 and Aust is $6699 - and this was set at a time of exchange rate of 0.85, so we pay a premium of about 40% compared to the US even after allowing for exchange rate differences (and even more when exchange rate is in the 90s). So if our RRP is 6699 for a set with a US RRP of 3999 - I would imagine we will be up for $10K for a set with a US RRP of $5900 - and that is a 54 inch set, not a 65 inch set.

Having talked down 3D though - I am not saying that the vt25 sets are not worth it - they certainly are. They make use of the Pioneer patents that Panasonic purchased last year and are said to be magnificent 2D sets - surpassing the Kuro sets using the combination of the best of Panasonic and Pioneer technology PLUS another years development. They will not only easily surpass anything that has come before (including Kuro Elite) but they will use significantly less power that even the current v10 series plasmas - said to be around another 40% reduction - taking them down to around 35-40% of 850 series power requirements (ie from about 650-700W peak for the 65z850 down to about 200-250W peak for the 65vt25. - a truly great set - just don't buy it only because you want the 3D - if you can wait then wait for two more generations of improvement, bigger screen sizes (say 100 inch plus at affordable prices), and the advent of 2.35:1 ratio screen sizes (almost all modern movies are made in this ratio now). By that time it just might be worth thinking about 3D.

I couldn't wait so bought the 65v10 - I was sick of watching digital content on my computer screen (only one with good enough resolution to appreciate it) so was not going to wait another 12-18 months for the 65vt25 (waiting 2-3 months for the 65v10 set to arrive was much much more than enough!!).

Edited by koolkat

I couldn't wait so bought the 65v10 - I was sick of watching digital content on my computer screen (only one with good enough resolution to appreciate it) so was not going to wait another 12-18 months for the 65vt25 (waiting 2-3 months for the 65v10 set to arrive was much much more than enough!!).

:lol:

Yes, there's always something better just around the corner i.e. 12-18 months away

You've gotta jump in at some point and to go straight to a Pana 65", you'd be the envy of many.

Dam it thought they were coming to see me, think the word about the 65" TV is out! :)

alas I am unable to get a projector and screen in my upcoming reno to my house. However this tv seems like a good compromise :)

It would be great for films, however watching the news on a 65" screen at about 4m back will be a little weird !

Yes, it is a commercial monitor - no tuner, no speakers etc. A quick staticice search reveals prices in the $7500+ range. Though those same place also list consumer models at higher than current RRP prices, so I assume there is a better street price for the 65PF111WK