Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi Nick

can I ask what retailer you got it from as well? I'm waiting on mine as well. thanks

got mine from bing lee.

They had a shipment coming in before i walked into the store, i guess thats why i was able to get mine now.

Edited by nick_crx

That is an interesting fact.

So people who sit as far as 5m from the screen what size telly would give the same experience as sitting 3m from a 65?

They would need a 108" TV

I recall a conversation with a forum member when I purchased my 58v10. I told him that I should hold of and get the 65. His reply was "Just sit closer to the screen and save yourself $2k.

So Owen how close do I have to be from a 58" tv to get the same effect as sitting 3m from a 65 inch?

For a given resolution it is just a straight viewing angle issue, so the distance relationship is proportional.

3m from a 65" = 2.68m from a 58" = 2.31m from a 50" = Horizontal viewing angle of approx 27° in all cases.

[ETA] To put that in perspective, Wikipedia says that humans have approx. 140° field of vision. Obviously the edges of that would fall into the "peripheral vision" category, but still you can see that even 27° is not exactly pushing our viewing ability to the limit.

Sadly, the viewing angle I am experiencing is significantly poorer, as the distance to my 65" screen is something in the order of 8000km, despite my purchase being made on Nov 14th :angry2::angry2:

Edited by luuuc

I have a 65" plasma and I sit about 4-5 metres away and let me tell ya. Between standard def and high def the difference is like night and day. Telling the difference between a 576p, 720p and 1080p is very noticeable.

Is that Panasonic 65" and watchinh FTA using the internal tuner?

Reason I ask is the Panasonic tends to over soften SD images and this is probably more the reason you can see a difference from that distance

For a given resolution it is just a straight viewing angle issue, so the distance relationship is proportional.

3m from a 65" = 2.68m from a 58" = 2.31m from a 50" = Horizontal viewing angle of approx 27° in all cases.

[ETA] To put that in perspective, Wikipedia says that humans have approx. 140° field of vision. Obviously the edges of that would fall into the "peripheral vision" category, but still you can see that even 27° is not exactly pushing our viewing ability to the limit.

So placing the couch approx the length of a ruler (30cm) closer to 58" TV can save one a couple of thousand dollars :D

I think we may have killed two birds with one stone ie resolved the backlog of 65 V10's given 58v10 are in plentiful supply and retain more cash in the bank account :D

Or I can sit back from 5m and lower my 100 inch electric projector screen and watch it a movie on that :P

Edited by CC Rider

So placing the couch approx the length of a ruler (30cm) closer to 58" TV can save one a couple of thousand dollars :D

Yep, pretty much.

This is one of the reasons I have no intention of wall mounting my plasma. I'd rather sit it on the entertainment unit and have the screen 30-40cm closer to my eyes.

Is that Panasonic 65" and watchinh FTA using the internal tuner?

Reason I ask is the Panasonic tends to over soften SD images and this is probably more the reason you can see a difference from that distance

Whether it's free to air or DVD, even upscaled DVD. I can tell the difference. Putting a Blu-ray and HD-DVD can see an even bigger difference.

The HD cricket on 9HD and some sports on ONE HD you can see the difference from the SD source and HD source. Huge gain in quality.

I mean even on my 42" plasma 1024 x 768 I can tell the difference sitting about 2 to 3 metres away.

All this crap about not noticing the difference between the signals from your viewing distance is utter nonsense. Maybe if your sitting at an unusual distance of, I don't know, more than 10 metres you may not really notice a difference.

Yes to using the internal tuner for free to air.

Edited by Calciatore

The thing is, @ ~3m I couldn't really tell the difference between my 42" nonHD & 58" fullHD.

Shortening the distance to the 58" gave me both more clarity & a more engulfing screen which made for a more engrossing experience.

To get the same effect with the 42", i'd need to be much closer, but because it's a nonHD panel, I wouldn't have the clarity I have now up close to the screen.

A 65" would bring even more benefits, as you wouldn't need to be as close to appreciate the more detailed & enveloping experience.

I'll be sitting about 3.3m from my 65"when it comes, have 50" Pio now and just sold my PJ and motorised projector 92" screen, so think this 65" size will be a good compromise.

I'll be sitting about 3.3m from my 65"when it comes, have 50" Pio now and just sold my PJ and motorised projector 92" screen, so think this 65" size will be a good compromise.

One thing for sure is that the 65 is a grand looking TV.

Like you I thought about the one solution however I would miss that enveloping feeling that a pj gives.

As you would know after watching a movie on the PJ and then turning on the plasma to watch the last quarter of the Footy....Just how small did the 50" look.

I experienced that today on the 58". I just received my new Pana promo gift tuner recorder and had the tuner playing through the projector while watching the cricket.

After an hour turned of PJ and turned on the 58v10. Wife commented how small the 58 looked. I replied that is why a 65 would be better :D

Edited by CC Rider

I have a 65" plasma and I sit about 4-5 metres away and let me tell ya. Between standard def and high def the difference is like night and day. Telling the difference between a 576p, 720p and 1080p is very noticeable.

That makes perfect sense too. I think many misinterpret the viewing distance charts in 2 important ways:

1. The viewing distances recommended are so that the average person can distinguish each pixel separately. On this basis viewing distance for a 576i signal would be much larger than a 1080 signal for any given set size. At distances less than the 576i distance you would get additional benefit from 1080 signals, with the benefit progressively increasing until you get to the 1080 distance where you will see the maximal additional benefit from the 1080 signal.

For example, for a 65 inch screen you can see every pixel of 1080p at about 2-3.5m (depending on visual acuity which varies a lot between people). This means that showing 576i you would see every pixel from about 4-7m. So at anything under 6-7m 1080p should look better than 576i and over about 6-7m you should see little difference. Hence 1080 signals should look better at about 5 metres. At five meters you would have difficulty picking a 720p signal from a 1080p signal though.

2. The "recommended" distances in order to benefit from every pixel are not intended to indicate you should sit that far from the screen - the intention is to use the tables the other way round. That is - you decide at what distance you view a certain size image most comfortably (THX angle/distance guidelines are a suggestion though some people prefer to view the TV from further (and rarely nearer). You then use this distance and screen size to in conjunction with the viewing distance chart to work out what is the minimum resolution you should aim for (ie the resolution beyond which you will not get additional benefit from spending more dollars. This is less useful in the current market as all the TVs with less than FULLHD lack many other desirable features (eg THX calibration, 96hz for 24p etc) and so many will buy a full HD set to get these extra features even if they don't need extra resolution at their viewing distance.

best viewing distance does depend on the nature of the viewing. I am quite happy with a 27 inch 4:3 CRT TV from 4m for watching the news but like a 65 inch at 3m for watching an action movie or a 12 inch TV at about 20m for watching a chick-flick (with chick in hand of course - which is the only reason I would watch a chick-flick)

.....Sadly, the viewing angle I am experiencing is significantly poorer, as the distance to my 65" screen is something in the order of 8000km, despite my purchase being made on Nov 14th :angry2::angry2:

Brilliant - I like it!

Same predicament - ordered 11th November - waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....

What is really annoying is that a friend of mine ordered one of these sunday week ago and got it 5 days later!!! - had rung around town and found a Retravision on the outskirts of town that had one coming in that was not sold (was in quite a poor area which probably explains why it wasn't pre-sold).

CC Rider...

Yeah the 65 just did it for me, only seen the 58 so far but the tape measure at home didn't lie, I'm at a point where I just can't be bothered anymore switching over to the Pj then the screen comes down in front of the current TV.

I sold the PJ & Screen for an excellent price last Friday and a mate is buying my Pio 50" XDA when my new one arrives, so now I'm lookin forward to getting the new Panny 65" hopefully before the Winter OLympics commence Feb12.

Edited by EZYHD

now I'm lookin forward to getting the new Panny 65" hopefully before the Winter OLympics commence Feb12.

Could be cutting it fine Foxy.

Hopefully you will get to watch it on the 65", though your retinas may still be blinded by all the sun you'll catch in Hawaii

Could be cutting it fine Foxy.

Hopefully you will get to watch it on the 65", though your retinas may still be blinded by all the sun you'll catch in Hawaii

Well yeah Diesel, if it doesn't arrive will just have to put up with my 50" pio till it arrives.

Won't be getting too much sun as the good woman has all the big stores planned out ready to shop till she drops and a No.of restaurants, might check out some HT pricing maybe, but think I'll be down at the Hilton Hau Tree Bar mostly!.

For people considering buying the TV from Myer, there is an offer on from now to 24 Dec where for every $100 gift card you purchase they give you a free $10 card.

So you could buy $5000 worth of gift cards and get an additional $500 free, and as the cards have a 2 year expiry you have this time to use the $5500.

Then find the best price at Myer for the P65v10a (either before 24 Dec or afterwards), and pay by Myer gift card.

Plus you should be able to get Myer One points on the purchase (when you spend the gift card) so that should be another $100 for spending $5000.

Just another way to make the purchase less painful :-)

It’s common for the inexperienced to make assumptions about SD v HD “resolution” when viewing free to air TV. Unfortunately, when comparing SD with HD TV transmissions you are comparing a 6Mbps signal with a 12Mbps signal NOT HD with SD as neither SD or HD TV transmissions have the resolution there pixel formats would indicate. With DOUBLE the data rate there is little wounder the HD channel looks a lot better than the SD one at almost any distance.

If you want to do a valid comparison of resolution alone you must scale down the HD video signal to 720 or 576 lines so the only variable is the number of pixels. You will then see that it’s much more difficult to see differences.

As a HTPC user I can scale to any resolution in real time for instant comparisons. Even with high quality 1080 from Bluray I am hard pressed to see any loss when it’s scaled down to 720p and displayed on my 70” 1080p screen at 4 meters; however at 3 meters I can clearly see the difference as one would expect.

Even when scaled down to 576 lines (SD) high quality HD source looks good and MUCH better then SD on free to air TV.

Edited by Owen

Brilliant - I like it!

Same predicament - ordered 11th November - waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....

What is really annoying is that a friend of mine ordered one of these sunday week ago and got it 5 days later!!! - had rung around town and found a Retravision on the outskirts of town that had one coming in that was not sold (was in quite a poor area which probably explains why it wasn't pre-sold).

Has the retailer given you a date for delivery yet? I bought mine in 18th november and no date as yet.

I spoke to him the other day and he said any new orders won't be filled until april.

Myer told me my order placed a few weeks ago should be here end Jan early Feb, another said the shipment was sold out, next shipment March so guess that is April.

Amazed with the rush for Large Screen Displays before major events Grand Finals,Olympics,World Cups etc

I think Panasonic underestimated the demand for this model. At roughly half the price of the outgoing model, it's no wonder there's plenty of demand. And most people looking at this TV may have already got a 42" or 50" in the past and realised they could live with something bigger! B)

I think Panasonic underestimated the demand for this model. At roughly half the price of the outgoing model, it's no wonder there's plenty of demand. And most people looking at this TV may have already got a 42" or 50" in the past and realised they could live with something bigger! B)

Definitely.

At the previous price-point of an RRP of over $12k most people couldn't justify it, but with it down to a real-world price $5k that's suddenly brought a lot of people into the 65" market!

I'm sure the 65" V series is cannibalising the flagship 54" Z series market in Australia so I wonder how Panasonic will deal with this.

Edited by purpleninja

I'm sure the 65" V series is cannibalising the flagship 54" Z series market in Australia so I wonder how Panasonic will deal with this.

I have a friend looking to buy the 54"Z purely because where he has his Pana 46" ATM, it is on the opposite wall where the antenna is. The wireless media reciever of the Z series will allow him to have all the HT gear where it is currently, and the TV on the other wall where it is preferred (higher WAF) meaning he has an excuse to upgrade to a new TV, 1 year after buying his first flat panel :lol: