Wags69

Panasonic 65" EX780 or Sony 65" X8500E and now Sammy 65" MU7000

16 minutes ago, Wags69 said:

Where the EX750 struggled was in terms of its peak brightness, which only measured at 420 nits in its most accurate mode...

An interesting comment as usually one of the trade-off's between an LED LCD and OLED is better peak brightness vs absolute blacks. Good to read though that the edge-lit local dimming system works well.

JSmith :ninja:

Panasonic already have the EX780's replacement being sold in Japan [or at least advertised ] the EX850....it doesn't have 3D.

Somebody mentioned where that info was posted that they thought it might be a Japan only TV ????

It seems pretty stupid dropping 3D when your the only manufacturer making 3D capable TV's, I mean you have the market to yourself !

On a side note.

I bought the Diversified Video Solutions download version of their RM UHD/HDR-10 test patterns, I've got the files loaded onto a USB Flash drive, which I have inserted in the Panasonic UB4000 4k disc player.

I just went to peruse through the patterns again, mainly so I can get acquainted with the menu structure.

The last test pattern I put on was the HDR clipping test, which has the full HDR-10 range, right the way up to a 10,000 nit signal....it played for about a minute of two, then the Disc player sort of crapped out, stopped sending a signal to the TV, and then shut down, it's not broken, as after a short while I got it back working again.

I'm thinking that the signal of that test pattern is too hot for the disc player to handle, and it shut down in a sort of act of self preservation ....anybody else heard of anything like this happening?

Not with just the UB range of Disc players, but Oppo's and what ever other 4K disc players are out there.

Edited by Tweaky

I tried these settings just on hdmi 2 as everything goes to my denon. I saved the them and copied to all so I didn't loose them. I had the apple tv screen saver  on while I was changing the settings and I could see the changes as I was doing it. the 100RE seems to be the one that had all the changes as everything seamed to be on zero. Although I only have the  4th generation ATV My screen savers now look UHD. Looks lovely thank you so much

Glad you like the settings.

Try watching a Bluray like Passengers or Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, they really look something special when using those True Cinema settings and with the TV's 4K upscaling.

4 hours ago, Wags69 said:

Thanks so much for all the work you've put into this Tweaky, much appreciated :thumb::thumb:

Are these settings for use with 4K HDR and 2K?

Ditto Tweaky :) Calibrated for 2k bluray Wags .

And basically for playing back Bluray Discs....not for other sources ...if using a Panasonic UB4000 4K disc player or it's like, the TV will automatically Upscale the 1080p Bluray to 4K...the calibration settings given below will only make the upscaled image look better.

confirmed by reference to rec709 rather than bt2020 also 

Colour Gamut = REC 709

Yeah, sorry I forgot to reply to that question...cwt is correct.

I'm going to do another few calibrations for this TV, but since it took so long and I spent most of yesterday doing the first one, I'm in no hurry to get started on the next.

Obviously one for HDR, and a brighter one for day to day TV viewing, and possibly one more for a PS4 Pro if I bother getting one.

Actually it took so long for a few reasons, not being that familiar with the new TV's menu, and because It was ages since I did a full calibration from scratch, plus the ChromPure software I used is the latest version, which has some differences to the previous version that I wasn't familiar with, plus I was hampered by having to use the mouse pad on the Laptop, which I loathe, which made clicking the little choice buttons in the software a PITA, and a lot longer to do than if I had used a proper mouse [i'm a Desktop guy], next time I'm going to hook up a proper mouse.

I reckon I could do a full calibration from scratch in about 3 to 4 hours tops now.....well if I use the software's built in test signals, quite a bit longer if using a calibration disc.

6 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Glad you like the settings.

Try watching a Bluray like Passengers or Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, they really look something special when using those True Cinema settings and with the TV's 4K upscaling.

I have passengers on UHD but I put in the UB900 to check the difference. It was good before but I think it even looks better.  I think the blacks are better 

I bought a PS4 Pro on the way home from work the day before yesterday ...well it was inevitable really considering the new 4K TV.

After waiting nearly 4 hours for the data from the standard PS4 to be copied over to the PS4 Pro [My 1TB HD is nearly full], I got to briefly try it before I went to bed....nice, but when playing a 4K game it automatically loads up a BT 2020 in Normal picture view....which is washed out, and far too Blue....well the same as this TV looks UN-calibrated.

I tried it again yesterday and changed it to my 'True Cinema' calibrated settings...a lot more definition, but too RED......so all I had to do to fix that was leave the base calibrated settings, then just change colour from Warm 2 to Normal...WOW!, that really made a difference....truly amazing PQ for a game.

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

I bought a PS4 Pro on the way home from work the day before yesterday ...well it was inevitable really considering the new 4K TV.

After waiting nearly 4 hours for the data from the standard PS4 to be copied over to the PS4 Pro [My 1TB HD is nearly full], I got to briefly try it before I went to bed....nice, but when playing a 4K game it automatically loads up a BT 2020 in Normal picture view....which is washed out, and far too Blue....well the same as this TV looks UN-calibrated.

I tried it again yesterday and changed it to my 'True Cinema' calibrated settings...a lot more definition, but too RED......so all I had to do to fix that was leave the base calibrated settings, then just change colour from Warm 2 to Normal...WOW!, that really made a difference....truly amazing PQ for a game.

Just on the game topic, in the settings you say to put it in game mode. What does that do?

I thought I noticed a bit of judder watching a recorded foxtel HD program so I switched it off and I felt the image seemed "smoother".

Game mode basically directs all TV processing to achieve a lower controller input LAG.[It will de-activate some settings]

Those like 'Frame insertion', MPEG stuff, Noise Reduction....and the like, anything that will take up processing overheads, and cause a frame rate drop

Well after umming and aahing about upgrading my projector, and not being able to get the one I wanted, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, so decided to grab a Sony KD75X9400E that was on special to replace my 10 year old Kuro. 

Lots of thoughts about going Oled, but in the end I wanted something bigger😂

8 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

Panasonic 75inch EX780 is $ 3196 at Hardly Normal right now for anyone who wants it.

Cheers

Yes, It is hard to look at the prices after you just bought one; the Sony 65" X9000E is only $2316 finishing today!!!

I can't complain too much as mine was an insurance replacement with a little extra for upgrade.

I would have bought the 75", but it was just Too Big , well for my lounge room at least.

My biggest problem was if I had bought the 75" it would have meant I would have had to move my Harbeth SHL5's very close to the side wall, and almost into a corner.....I'm not going to ruin the sound for a larger TV.

I don't know what the story is with these EX780a models ATM.

The Good Guys had them at 20% off all models yesterday, but for one day only [so a 65" would have been just under $2400], which was basically what I ended up paying when I got mine from Bing Lee] , they had 'Clearance' next to them for that day, not now.....they might have sold out of the 65" because it's not on their website ATM, only the 75"

Bing Lee only has the 75" listed online

JB has all of them listed, but that's JB, it doesn't mean they have the stock, plus their prices are similar to RRP

I see Samsung TV's got a HDR-10+ software upgrade yesterday or the day before, so I hope my TV gets it as well, since Panasonic decided to go that route rather than paying a license fee for Dolby Digital

OH, by the way.

I decided to buy some backlighting LED's to fit to the rear of the TV, this should boost Black Level perception by fooling the eye.

Hey, at $23 from Ebay for a 5m roll of these things that are USB powered, and come with a remote, why not try them out was might thought?  Same ones at Jaycar are around $80-$90.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-500CM-5V-RGB-LED-Strip-Light-Colour-Change-USB-Kit-Background-Lighting-PC-TV/391912352842?hash=item5b3fcbec4a:m:mKdZfPkSi09b5qTmtUoYPpQ

Edited by Tweaky

when I started playing passengers last night I noticed the HDR kicks in the settings changes to cinema mode although I have set HDMI2 to true cinema. after HDR loads up you can then change it to true cinema, however this darker. somehow I think panasonic have made the software to tune into cinema mode automatically when hdr kicks in. I have changed the cinema settings also so I don't have to go into picture settings all the time.