Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I have a friend looking to buy the 54"Z purely because where he has his Pana 46" ATM, it is on the opposite wall where the antenna is. The wireless media reciever of the Z series will allow him to have all the HT gear where it is currently, and the TV on the other wall where it is preferred (higher WAF) meaning he has an excuse to upgrade to a new TV, 1 year after buying his first flat panel :lol:

You would have thought that his "minister of finance" would have seen through that "excuse" ;-)

I know it's a huge step forward compared to the previous generation, but say compared to the Samsung 63" it seems pretty high

http://www.energyrating.gov.au/appsearch/t...ist=comp#RESULT

That said, all the plasmas pale against the 55" LEDs...

http://www.energyrating.gov.au/appsearch/t...ist=comp#RESULT

I wonder when we'll get affordable LCD/LED at the 65" size

You need to be sure you are comaring apples with apples. The TH-P65V10A can be run in SHOP mode or HOME mode. You are unlikely to run this unit in SHOP mode at home. Not sure which mode your figures refer to.

My test is the hand in front of the screen test. At HN the 63 Sammy is very hot. My 65 Pana is only luke warm.

You need to be sure you are comaring apples with apples. The TH-P65V10A can be run in SHOP mode or HOME mode. You are unlikely to run this unit in SHOP mode at home. Not sure which mode your figures refer to.

My test is the hand in front of the screen test. At HN the 63 Sammy is very hot. My 65 Pana is only luke warm.

I'm not sure about the testing specifics but you'd hope that it was consistent as it's from the energy rating website

So its better to shed heat at the back than at the front is it?

Overall heat produced is proportional to power consumed.

Has the retailer given you a date for delivery yet? I bought mine in 18th november and no date as yet.

I spoke to him the other day and he said any new orders won't be filled until april.

No date given yet. Three weeks ago they said it would be two weeks. Last week they weren't sure when they would have it and offered a refund if I wanted. I guess I'll hold out and if redemption offer lapses I will cancel and wait until next year - maybe even wait for 3D tvs out either 3rd or 4th quarter next year. Every month that goes by gets closer to 3D TV release and more tempting to cancel the order - asides the frustration of the endless wait with no date given.

63 sammy is series 6 which were power guzzlers - rates about 850 watts if I remember correctly with typical about 500W.

The series 8 samsungs use the E-panel that uses half the power - and similar to the panasonic. Unfortunately the 8 series only goes up to 58 inch otherwise I would probably avoid the wait and buy a 63 inch series 8 rather than the 65v10.

65v10 uses peak 488 watts - As posted previously, when I watched a 50 inch v series in good guys with a power meter the real usage was typically less than 200W whereas rates power was about 300 watts.

Had a look at the specs for samsung - they provide a typical and peak power and working out at 10 hours/day I get the numbers shown on the energyrating site using the "typical" rating from samsung. As only Max power is listed for Panasonic they have used that. I can only think that either Australia is such a tiny market for panasonic that they can't be bothered putting a typical power figure in order to get a better energy star rating or that they don't think buyers of a 65 inch TV will care.

In any case - If I watched TV 10 hours a day I'd not get any sleep when kids activities and work are taken out - I'd reckon 2-3 hours/day tops averaged over a week.

Edited by koolkat

63 sammy is series 6 which were power guzzlers - rates about 850 watts if I remember correctly with typical about 500W.

The series 8 samsungs use the E-panel that uses half the power - and similar to the panasonic. Unfortunately the 8 series only goes up to 58 inch otherwise I would probably avoid the wait and buy a 63 inch series 8 rather than the 65v10.

65v10 uses peak 488 watts - As posted previously, when I watched a 50 inch v series in good guys with a power meter the real usage was typically less than 200W whereas rates power was about 300 watts.

Had a look at the specs for samsung - they provide a typical and peak power and working out at 10 hours/day I get the numbers shown on the energyrating site using the "typical" rating from samsung. As only Max power is listed for Panasonic they have used that. I can only think that either Australia is such a tiny market for panasonic that they can't be bothered putting a typical power figure in order to get a better energy star rating or that they don't think buyers of a 65 inch TV will care.

In any case - If I watched TV 10 hours a day I'd not get any sleep when kids activities and work are taken out - I'd reckon 2-3 hours/day tops averaged over a week.

Thanks for the info - interesting reading. It's good to be able to decipher the energyrating info.

The thing is for us, this will be the main family TV so the little one and missus will watch TV during the day on and off so our usage could easily be 10 hours per day.

I'd love to have a 65" but the missus thinks it's too big and the power is something else I'm weighing up.

Decision pending .... :-)

Hey, my mate placed an order for one of these today - He paid 20% deposit. Due in Feb / March. Thanks to foxtail to his receipt.

What's the deal with redemption of the wii? - As the tv is on back order, does my mate need to pay the balance 80% before 24 December to be eligible?

EDIT: Just read the T & C's which state that serial no. of the tv must be received by Panasonic no later than 4/2/10, so looks like my mate will have to live without the wii.

Edited by xclusive_gamer

Hey, my mate placed an order for one of these today - He paid 20% deposit. Due in Feb / March. Thanks to foxtail to his receipt.

Its a pleasure, waiting is not good tho.

I'm on holidays til the 18th of Jan and I just know it's gonna turn up on the 19th....

Did your Panny dealer give you any indication when delivery might be?.

Has the retailer given you a date for delivery yet? I bought mine in 18th november and no date as yet.

I spoke to him the other day and he said any new orders won't be filled until april.

Got an update yesterday - they have supplied one set to the person that ordered just before I did. I'm now first for the next set which they say is coming in second week of January. This would make it for the backorder redemption offer (just) - assuming it actually comes in then. Heard three weeks ago it would be two weeks though obviously they were expecting more than one set in.

Hopefully the next Pana delivery has one for me.

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last years pre-Xmas sales where folks bought up the 50PZ850 pana panels and didn't get them delivered until late April/early May when the new (current) G10 series were also hitting the market

Hopefully it won't be a repeat of last years pre-Xmas sales where folks bought up the 50PZ850 pana panels and didn't get them delivered until late April/early May when the new (current) G10 series were also hitting the market

Is there likely to be a new range from Panasonic in 2010?

Dropped into HN Woodville yesterday for a few Xmas gift ideas,

Did my usual mandatory walk through the AV section and saw the Sales Guys packing the display Pana 65 into its box.

I couldn't resist and asked them who was the lucky guy.

They told me they sold their 65 in the store room on Saturday. The lucky owner's neighbor came over to have a look.

He went straight to HN to buy the display model.

Can tell you the box is close to 1.8 m wide. Huge is an understatemenr

Edited by CC Rider

• 2 weeks later...

A certain Good Guys in West of Sydney did not have these in stock but was willing to take an order for $5500 without having to buy extended warranty. Delivery was 4 weeks.

I feel a better price could have been achieved but I was visiting the store to buy a fridge and microwave as they are the priorities at the moment.