Wags69

Panasonic 65" EX780 or Sony 65" X8500E and now Sammy 65" MU7000

Looking to buy a new TV this week and have narrowed it down to these two.

Any advice, suggestions or experience would be most welcome.

Cheers

Wags

I'll quote myself from a previous thread discussing the D series, and as I see the E series is still Edge Lit, I believe it still applies.

"Having recently purchased a 65" Sony 8500D model I'll throw in my 2c worth.

If all you want to do is watch FTA and Foxtel sport,in a room with some ambient light, then the Sony processor is fantastic. That's what I use it for.( cost ~$2200)

If you are planning on watching any form of movie containing anything with low APL scenes, I promise you, you'll be massively disappointed with any edge lit LCD/LED panel.

I'll state it bluntly......I find it astounding that manufacturers can push this quality to the masses for more than $500!!!

Edge lit should have died many years ago, and it really should just be down to FALD and OLED. 

End of story.

The raised black floor,poor contrast,poor uniformity and edge light bleeding makes me shudder every time I see it.

Having a JVC X7000 in a dedicated theatre room spoils me, but hey that didn't set me back anywhere near the $8000 they're asking for the 85" Bravia 8500.

To me, $8k is a lot to spend on a TV, but if I did, it would NOT be an edge lit one."

Yep, I hear you.

Trouble is, that's what these companies are peddling at the minute, so we don't have a lot of choice.

I'm coming from a 7yo Samsung series 6 that I loved. (and is still gonig BTW, my daughter has it now!) So any TV is going to look better than that.

I watch mainly foxtel sport HD and concert BD's and obviously some movies on BD. About to get nbn, so netflix will come into play also.

So with a budget of ~3k, these are the tellies I've come up with. Maybe also the series 7 Samsung, although I don't like it as much?

Wags

15 minutes ago, Wags1503560380 said:

Yep, I hear you.

Trouble is, that's what these companies are peddling at the minute, so we don't have a lot of choice.

I'm coming from a 7yo Samsung series 6 that I loved. (and is still gonig BTW, my daughter has it now!) So any TV is going to look better than that.

I watch mainly foxtel sport HD and concert BD's and obviously some movies on BD. About to get nbn, so netflix will come into play also.

So with a budget of ~3k, these are the tellies I've come up with. Maybe also the series 7 Samsung, although I don't like it as much?

Wags

No worries, Wags. Not having a go at anyone, cause I was in the same boat. Had to replace a 5 year old Samsung.

I was just majorly disappointed with the light bleed from the edge lighting.

Foxtel HD sport looks great. In other words anything with a bright picture is fantastic. But as soon as the image presents a scene with a low APL, it is COMPLETELY ruined by the poor black uniformity.

Sci Fi TV or BD with scenes in space are shocking.

Given my time again, ( and I probably wouldn't have been able to swing it past the "finance dept"), but I would have saved for a bit longer and bought a FALD or OLED.

Oh well, it's only TV and I'll have to live with it for another 5 or so years. LOL.

Good luck.

I've added the Samsung MU7000 to the list.

Can't discount this as I've had a good run with my last Samsung TV!

Sammy and Panna both 200Hz with Sony 100Hz?

the Samsung mid range LEDs have not received very good reviews this year.   There are still some Samsung 2016 KU 6000 units around with superior black levels, contrast and screen uniformity than the MU 7000.

JB advertsiing 15% off UHD TV's currently

On 19/06/2017 at 11:06 PM, IMDave said:

I'll quote myself from a previous thread discussing the D series, and as I see the E series is still Edge Lit, I believe it still applies.

"Having recently purchased a 65" Sony 8500D model I'll throw in my 2c worth.

If all you want to do is watch FTA and Foxtel sport,in a room with some ambient light, then the Sony processor is fantastic. That's what I use it for.( cost ~$2200)

If you are planning on watching any form of movie containing anything with low APL scenes, I promise you, you'll be massively disappointed with any edge lit LCD/LED panel.

I'll state it bluntly......I find it astounding that manufacturers can push this quality to the masses for more than $500!!!

Edge lit should have died many years ago, and it really should just be down to FALD and OLED. 

End of story.

The raised black floor,poor contrast,poor uniformity and edge light bleeding makes me shudder every time I see it.

Having a JVC X7000 in a dedicated theatre room spoils me, but hey that didn't set me back anywhere near the $8000 they're asking for the 85" Bravia 8500.

To me, $8k is a lot to spend on a TV, but if I did, it would NOT be an edge lit one."

But some people do not want to go the Path  of Projection TV and I was one I had my Play and I' sick of Changing Globes for my Mates that Have Projection Tv of all types and I was sick of them telling me "Can you come over as the Projector is getting duller again" . Yes edge lit is no good but like everything else today each Tech has there own issue and one of them is Globe replacement and watching a Laser or LED Projector get duller by the month. No thanks I want something that when it set up you don't touch it again until you replace it. .

Posted (edited)

Like you I had a rear projection TV (Sony) , I had it for 8 years and never changed the lamp because it wast nesesary. In fact I installed a neutral density filter over the projection lens to drop the light output by 50% from new because the TV was just WAY too bright, and it was still bright enough without the ND filter 8 years and over 8000 hours later.

The TV came with a spare lamp which I installed for the new owner when I sold the TV so it was back to new.

My first JVC projector ran for 4 years before I replaced the lamp and I expect the current one to last significantly longer before I need to put in the spare that came with it. I seriously doubt I will keep it that long so lamp life has never been an issue.

I would happily replace a projector lamp every 6 months rather than put up with viewing movies on a TV.

As far as I am concerned TV's, especially LCD TV's , are for non critical viewing like watching the news and general TV programming, thats all.

LCD, edge lit, back lit or FALD is an inherently flawed technology, ok for people who are not fussy and or dont view in dim to dark environments, but that all IMHO. Performance with low quality sources is also well below par with LCD, which makes them unsuitable as a general duties TV IMHO. OLED is no better for TV so the only choice you have now is ordinary of more ordinary, its called progress.:rolleyes:

Edited by Owen

Talk about LCD's I watch a Good 45 Min video on how to Replace FALD Led's when they Fail. After this the next time you will say I hop the TV is Edge Lit.It was very interesting how they do it on the FALD ones .... he explained NEVER to have the backlight at 100%

Well we are all different Some like Holdens and some like Fords but the interest is common and that is cars and with this hobby its the same ,,, We like watching Tv on different Devices and we watch it from Different sources

36 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Talk about LCD's I watch a Good 45 Min video on how to Replace FALD Led's when they Fail. After this the next time you will say I hop the TV is Edge Lit.It was very interesting how they do it on the FALD ones .... he explained NEVER to have the backlight at 100%

Personally never heard of one failing. Most displays are pretty reliable these days.

I think most issues relate to screen uniformity rather than failure of hardware in recent times. No doubt it does happen of course.

Update: Well after side by side viewing and fiddling with settings and looking at some reviews, I went for the last TV on my list, the Samsung MU7000.

REALLY liked the other two, but the Panasonic stand looks like it should be on an industrial fan and it was just too reflective. Would have happily taken the Sony, but swayed by the Samsung as it's 200Hz and I had a good run with my last one. Also, the Sony was around $300 more with the Sammy coming in at $2900.

I'm happy so far.........

4 minutes ago, Wags1503560380 said:

Sweet, enjoy the new TV Wags. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Oh....and with the loot I saved, I'm going to buy a new receiver! :D

I prefer the back lighting over the side lighting in the Samsung.  My 55" is  pretty good now that I have set up the contrast, brightness and sharpness  plus turned off clean view, auto motion and dynamic contrast.  I've also found the Colour Tone to my liking best set at Warm2 with the Picture Mode on Movie.

Out of the box it wasn't that great, so I'd suggest spending some time setting up for your room and tastes. 

Cheers

Gary

8 minutes ago, GaryCook said:

I prefer the back lighting over the side lighting in the Samsung.  My 55" is  pretty good now that I have set up the contrast, brightness and sharpness  plus turned off clean view, auto motion and dynamic contrast.  I've also found the Colour Tone to my liking best set at Warm2 with the Picture Mode on Movie.

Out of the box it wasn't that great, so I'd suggest spending some time setting up for your room and tastes. 

Cheers

Gary

Yep, pretty much what I've done.

I used this as a guide also.....

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu8000/settings

On 6/28/2017 at 8:03 PM, Wags1503560380 said:

Update: Well after side by side viewing and fiddling with settings and looking at some reviews, I went for the last TV on my list, the Samsung MU7000.

REALLY liked the other two, but the Panasonic stand looks like it should be on an industrial fan and it was just too reflective. Would have happily taken the Sony, but swayed by the Samsung as it's 200Hz and I had a good run with my last one. Also, the Sony was around $300 more with the Sammy coming in at $2900.

I am looking at the same models in the 75", the pana stand doesn't worry me as it's being wall mounted. interested in your thoughts of the picture quality  comparison between the 780 and Mu7000.

On 04/07/2017 at 9:56 AM, plumgas said:

I am looking at the same models in the 75", the pana stand doesn't worry me as it's being wall mounted. interested in your thoughts of the picture quality  comparison between the 780 and Mu7000.

To me the Pana was a lot "duller". I had a play around with settings on all 3 TV's and you could get a decent picture on all 3. The Pana had beautiful colour but the picture looked a little "soft" to me.

I think you'd be happy with either, (I would be!) so it comes down to personal taste I reckon. Like I said, I went with the Sammy because of a good experience with my last one, the nice thin bezel and I didn't like the reflective stand of the Pana. Mine's not wall mounted, so it was a bit of a concern for me. Not a deal breaker, would have been happy to take the Pana if it was markedly better.

Hope that helps a bit!

I do like the MU7000 and it does look lovely in the stores but they probably have it settings setup correctly to display, where with the panasonic  they don't seem to care about selling it. 

The MU7000 reviews are not that good but it seems we have the oversees MU8000 which the reviews are slightly better. 

I currently have the sammy ES 8000 (2012) model which is a beautiful tv so its been hard choice on finding the right one for me.

the 780 is a good match with my pana Blu-ray recorder as it does upscale to 4k and I won't loose the 3d Feature sticking to panasonic.

only down side I see with the 780 is weight 54kg v 37kg with the samsung and all the connections are in the connect box so not having to access the back of the sammy to plug any extra devices in. price wise the panny is $600 cheaper in the prices I have been able to secure. 

Yes the US version is the 8000 and the one connect box is a great idea.

Yeah, no 3D on Sammy and no 200Hz on Pana.

Surprised to hear it's $600 cheaper. How much you been quoted for the 780, if you're allowed to say?

Posted (edited)

panny 75" $4,700, the sammy is up the 5,300 mark at the moment. 

correct refresh rate on sammy is 120hz and panna should be the same. what ever they state just half it. as per ratings.com. 

Edited by plumgas

Well that 780 is splendid TV!

The price difference alone is a good enough reason to buy it!

1 minute ago, Wags1503560380 said:

Well that 780 is splendid TV!

The price difference alone is a good enough reason to buy it!

yes will have to take my usb drive to the store tomorrow night for another look. It's actually hard to find stores with one on display.