Sign in to follow this  
garrycol

TV Reception Lake Macquarie - Newcastle

Garry,

Read http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Television/TV-reception/whats-wrong-with-my-tv-reception and the associated links.

Just remember that the ACMA will do nothing if the mobile phone tower equipment is operating within its licence conditions. It will be up to the viewer to insert a 700 MHz filter as I mentioned above with no compensation.

Alanh

Thanks guys - I appreciate all the information.  The guy who who put up the current antenna arrangement (before the Belmont Transmitter tower and the closer OPtus mobile phone tower) is booked in next week to sort the problem.

He will definitely have to orientate the antenna to the Belmont Tower, possibly replace the actual aerial with one more suitable, remove the current amp and possibly replace with a 700Mhz filter - up to him to get it all sorted.

I very much appreciate the advice and help provided - has been a bit of an eye opener.

Garry

Ok the antenna guy came out this morning - issue was the mobile phone tower and fixed with the filter - call out and filter $100 which is not bad - just cost me $250 to get my TV carted to the TV repairer.  The guy new all about it and asked my Mum whether she had seen the advice sent out to everyone about the phone tower and TV reception - well no, because she thought it was junk mail and threw it out :(.

Now I asked my mum to get the guy to reorientate the antenna to pick up the Belmont Tv Tower transmissions but she forgot to write it down so the aerial is still pointed towards Sugarloaf - but not such an issue as we never had the ducting interference problem from the Illawarra.  Will just file that away if it plays up in future,

Thanks for the advice provided by you guys - was spot on, on all counts.

Cheers

garry

True ducting will happen near water on very hot days/nights. Belmont near the 16 footers and bottom end of Evans St and side streets in your area. Also Dudley and Merewether. Merewether is getting it from Coffs Harbour. A phone tower issue will be every channel 24/7. Plenty of signal strength but the quality is totally wiped out. This will show up on a meter. If Bunnings is in your way you are in the wrong area for ducting issues. You will most probably have line of site to the Belmont transmitter also. These idiots who leave old amps installed and install filters should be updating the amps with built in 4G protection. Better still, look for better off air signal and get rid of the amp or use a distribution amp if needed. Various streets off Evans, I've had to install 15 masts and go to Belmont with great success. Could not get any sense out of Sugarloaf and DON'T use phased array antennas, asking for trouble.

Last post from garrycol over a year ago.

22 hours ago, Brian K said:

A phone tower issue will be every channel 24/7

Not always, ime. Overload of a masthead amplifier or receiver front end might be marginal, dependent on propogation or loading of a cell site.

22 hours ago, Brian K said:

DON'T use phased array antennas, asking for trouble.

I'm curious, is that site specific?

A true mobile phone issue will be 24/7 on every channel. An overloading amp may be all or some of the channels but not necessarily 24/7. Never use panels with trees or multiple transmitters around unless you absolutely have to for more gain to drive an amp. Been saying this for years and finally the gurus are agreeing with me. What is ime?