Best Non 4k-Upshift Projector <$4k

Sorry to hijack but what kind of shelves did you guys use? I plan to go a shelf to make the use of my lense easier...

I am handy with the tools but I am really worries about not getting the shelf right... Did you just use brackets and some black melamine? This was my plan. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, GoudaK said:

Sorry to hijack but what kind of shelves did you guys use? I plan to go a shelf to make the use of my lense easier...

I am handy with the tools but I am really worries about not getting the shelf right... Did you just use brackets and some black melamine? This was my plan. 

I'm using one of Mark's Mark4 lenses and a Cineslide. Used some benchtop material and brackets from Bunnings - also put reinforcing in the wall behind as the bulkhead it's bolted to wasn't built for that weight hanging off it. Here's cruddy phone photo:

Shelf4.jpg

9 minutes ago, GoudaK said:

I built myself an entire rack from scratch using laminated MDF and double layers for the shelves.  Can't remember exactly what it cost, but cheaper than an all metal rack and just as sturdy.  

What lens have you got?  Generally, you need to raise the projector so the lens is a few inches below and this helps with alignment.

On my top shelf, I am using my own designed Projector Station with extra long telescoping legs that allowed me to invert the projector.    

Any good quality projector screen I could buy from ebay or any online place? West coast hifi wanna charge me $850 for a projector screen (Dynamic). Apparently it's made locally, and better than average screen ...just found it a bit excessive

• Volunteer
6 hours ago, R2Droid said:

so if I were to mount to wall, meaning I have to buy a rack? Any ready made one? No chance I could do one myself. 

There are wall mount brackets available as well such as the ones from Selby Acoustics

7 hours ago, R2Droid said:

so if I were to mount to wall, meaning I have to buy a rack? Any ready made one? No chance I could do one myself. 

Wall brackets that will support 20KG can be bought from Bunnings for less than $20.  A bit ugly, but better than find the projector on the floor and with the lights out, does it really matter?  

The reason I went with the gear at the back of the room was minimise the lights off the front panels.  As it turns out, many choices I made back in 2010 about my room paid off.  This includes lowering the surrounds to seated ear height.  

Thanks for the tips around the shelves!
I have a solid wall to mount on so that makes things much easier (17mm ply behind the gyprock). 

I have one of Mark's MK3 lense with correction. I'll be going with a manual sled until I can afford an automatic one. I might start my own thread as it is interesting you mention the projector should be sitting higher than the lense this confused me a little!

Hey guys, just checking where in Melbourne I can get an 9300W for a great price? I've heard some people getting them for around $3600. Is this realistic? Looking to buy in the next week.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by HDobsession
punctuation

On 2017-6-20 at 6:54 PM, GoudaK said:

Thanks for the tips around the shelves!
I have a solid wall to mount on so that makes things much easier (17mm ply behind the gyprock). 

I have one of Mark's MK3 lense with correction. I'll be going with a manual sled until I can afford an automatic one. I might start my own thread as it is interesting you mention the projector should be sitting higher than the lense this confused me a little!

Projector optics are biased to allow either a table top mount or an inverted ceiling mount.  Generally you will have the projector optics level with one edge of the screen, either top or bottom and it fills the screen.  The anamorphic optics are not biased and the light must past through the centre.  Typically a ceiling mounted projector needs the anamorphic to be lower than the projector to allow that bottom part of the beam to pass without vignetting.  Hope that makes sense.  

46ae097c860f56312ee496edeb8decf4.jpg

You can see here that the projector's optics are pretty much level with the top of the rear lens on my MK5.  The projector's optics are level with the top of the screen.  

Edited by MarkTecher

HI all, I'm set for my projector, settled for Epson 9300 at the end (so much for non pseudo 4k LOL)

Would appreciate your input on my other thread: 

Thanks!

Edited by gooner14