Sign in to follow this  
Puresilk

Does the throw distance effect quality?

Reason for asking is that I'm down to 2 options of how I want to set up my lounge for a projector setup.

I have already a thick, bleach white curtain in my lounge that I wish to use a projector on.

It would allow an image size of 105" at the 16:9 perspective.

I had planned to get the Epson TW5300 and have it at 4.5m away but, after doing the throw calculations this projector will not allow a view size of 105" that far away.

My other option is to bring it forward and make a cabinet for it so I can get it the right distance but I would rather not have to do this.

Roof mounting will be too messy, the ceiling is concrete and my wife is dead set against having it displayed on the roof so this isn't an option.

My question is, if I spend more on a projector that will allow a throw distance of 4.5m, will the picture quality be much the same as using the tw5300 closer?

Only just starting looking for a projector that would allow such a throw it seems it'll cost me at least 3 times the amount.

The specs of the projectors that would allow such a throw distance have much better specs as far as contrast/lumens/features etc.... but does this diminish the further away

and more zoom I use to get the size I'm after?

I was really hoping for the 3-chip idea as the rainbow effect from single chip designs would drive me crazy. I edit/reconstruct images alot and one thing I can't stand

in a picture is chromatic aberration which after viewing a benq at a showroom a couple of weeks ago it reminded me when I saw it of this.

Further back, the bigger the image gets, but also the dimmer it gets.  If you are needing to mount really close, then yes, you might just run out of zoom.  Epson LCD projectors should have a 2x zoom range.

Longer throws gives a better contrast at the expense of some brightness.  

These 3 chip designs will not have RBE, but you may have convergence issues.  A single chip design like a DLP may or may not exhibit RBE.  It depends on the speed of the colour wheel and the display refresh rate.  The newer 6 segment, 6x colour wheels don't seem to be anywhere as bad as the older designs.  

Older designs are based on 48Hz and do exhibit the above mentioned problems and can have bad motion blur.  I am sensitive to RBE, but don't see it on my DLP anymore.  Many of the issues I had with my DLP were fixed by changing the CW speed from 4x (default) back to 3x.             

Chromatic Aberrations are a lens issue and nothing to do with the imaging chips.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By krusic
      Item: Epson EH-TW9000W projector with spare genuine lamp and 6 x 3D glasses
      Price: $1000 ono
      Item Condition: Excellent used condition
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info: Great 1080p and 3D projector which includes THX certification.  Has 1760 hours on lamp and has always been ceiling mounted.  Used in Eco mode in dedicated theatre room .  Non smoker house.
      Comes with original box, wireless transmitter, remote, 2 x epson 3D glasses and 4 x panasonic 3D glasses.  Also included is a brand new sealed genuine Epson replacement lamp.

Can be shipped at buyer's expense or pick up from Geelong, Vic

Photos:

• By zakblue
      Item:  EPSON TW9200 FHD Projector with 3 pairs of rechargeable 3D glasses
      Price: $900
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR, Moving House
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

2196 Lamp Hours. Happy to demo for local buyers.
      Have box, contents and can ship Aust wide at buyers expense.

• By Saxon Hall
      Item: IMG Norway "Tenor" Recliner Chair and Ottoman. Red Leather
      Price: $700
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Lack of Use
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash,  Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: These chairs are very well made and are very comfortable. This brand and Stressless tend to get the best reviews for recliners. I have owned this since 2014 after buying it from another member here. At the time I did an exercise to see what a new one would cost. You order them to suit. Choice of leather, choice of base, 3 different sizes, colour options and on and on. Then you wait about 3 months. At the time it came to about $2300 and I reckon it would be more now because the Aussie Dollar was stronger at that time. So my price is less than a third of a new one. The reason I am selling it is that I tend to listen to my music through my computer set up and through headphones on the move. So the chair has barely been used since I bought it. It gets an occasional dusting and that's about it. If you are looking for a quality listening chair and baulk at the high prices for new, come and have a look at this. Sit in it and try it out for yourself.
       No original packaging so Pick Up only for this item
      Finally I will say that the chair and ottoman are both in excellent condition. The leather is unmarked, no rips,tears or scuffs. The 2 bases are in  unmarked excellent condition also

Pictures: Not that good at photography so I have put up a link to the original listing
      https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/69703-sold-listening-chair-img-mc-tenor-recliner-ottoman/

• By lonewolf
      Item: Epson EH-TW3000
      Price: $700
      Item Condition: Excellent 9/10
      Reason for selling: Too many projectors
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Awesome 1080p LCD Projector. Great Lens Shift and Zoom features. Seems to be able to create very large pictures and from various angles. When not having a dedicated room and requiring a lot of lens shift and zooming features then i think nothing seems to beat the LCD projectors.
      Specs:
      Brightness (Lumens) : 1800 ANSI
      Color Light Output (Lumens) : 1800 ANSI
      Eco-Mode (Lumens): 481 ANSI
      Color Light Output (eco) : 481 ANSI
      Contrast (Full On/Off) : 18000:1
      Variable Iris: Yes
      High Brightness:
      ANSI Lumens: **
      Contrast Ratio: **
      High Contrast:
      ANSI Lumens: **
      Contrast Ratio: 18000:1
      Audible Noise: 28.0 dB
      Eco-Mode: 22.0 dB
      Weight: 7.3 kg
      Size (cm) (HxWxD) : 14 x 45 x 36
      Std. Lens: Focus:
      Zoom: Yes
      Throw Dist (m) : 1.9 - 6.0
      Image Size (cm) : 76 - 508
      Optional Lenses: No
      Digital Zoom: **
      Digital Keystone: **
      Lens Shift: Horz & Vert
      Warranty: 3 Years
      Performance:
      H-Sync Range: **
      V-Sync Range: **
      Compatibility:
      HDTV: 720p, 1080i, 1080p/60
      EDTV/480p: Yes
      SDTV/480i: Yes
      Component Video: Yes
      Video: Yes
      Digital Input: HDMI
      Computers: Yes
      Display: Type:
      2 cm 3 LCD
      Native: 1920x1080 Pixels
      Maximum: 1920x1080 Pixels
      Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (HD)
      Light Source: Type:
      200W E-TORL
      Life: 4000 hours
      Quantity: 1
      Speakers: No
      Max Power: 282W
      Voltage: 100V - 240V
      FCC Class: B
      Reviews:
      http://www.whathifi....epson-eh-tw3000
      http://www.projector...iewehtw3000.htm
      http://www.goodgearg...h-tw3000/296465

Pictures:

• By Aze
      Hi all,
      Having just gotten a new (to me) projector its time to move the old one on to someone who can use it. As above it is an Epson EMP-TW700 720p projector, no issues that I know of, 361 hours on the globe so should be fine for a long time still. Great for someone just starting out, or as a second pj for kids etc, although not full hd it still gives a very watchable image and has great flexibility in placement with its 2.1 zoom and high adjustability. Pick up preferred eastern suburbs Melbourne, and it comes with the box and remote. Photos of images on a 110" screen can be sent via sms or email if interested, just pm me details. Looking for $250.
      Thanks, Aze