Sign in to follow this  
Marc

No love for Fetch?

we have two fetch units. one i got for free by updating our optus plan - it actually went down in monthly charge and came with a fetch for free :D the other we got by handing in one of our TivoHD units to harvey norman.

its been a great replacement for the TivoHD so far. and we are overall very pleased. it is actually a step up form the tivo in pure PQ. its very good in interface. and expsically the app i find is really quite good and dependable... when am travelling and realise going to miss something wanted to watch. have had no dramas with its series tags and such either. 

I do miss the Tivo suggestions though... where it would record stuff it would think you like...based on what else you tend to like and record.
there are some glitches i have found with the fetch. there seems no way i can program its remote to do power on for our kuro and use its volume up down for our marantz av processor...the tivo glo remote did this easily. I cant even seem to find a code for the fetch remote to work the marantz volume.

another glitch I had confirmed by the head qualifi(D&M) tech that the fetch was never ever designed for passing signal via an avr to a display... and hence why it has hdcp hiccups ... even flags non compliance to a non hdmi 2.0 device when instead it should just down scale on the run. an easy fix for this is a office works comsol branded hdmi splitter ... that just happens to have a hdcp stripper by accident... pop that before an avr and problem solved :D can also use the hdmi splitter from jay car. does the same. you are not using this as a splitter in this case... just inline and it just strips the hdcp !  note there might be the odd other hdmi/hdcp gremlin. possible due to the mis design of the hdmi side of the unit.

one other oddity because of its number of tuners there is no guarantee you will switch on your TV and can then rewind back on a show that just happens to be on(tivo could do this). since it is quite possible the fetch is not recording the channel on air.... 
otherwise a great unit compact works well....

ps I am still awaiting the amazon prime app for it fetch head man announced some while back... though quite possibly its amazon thats the hold up here...

6 minutes ago, al said:
we have two fetch units. one i got for free by updating our optus plan - it actually went down in monthly charge and came with a fetch for free :D the other we got by handing in one of our TivoHD units to harvey norman.

its been a great replacement for the TivoHD so far. and we are overall very pleased. it is actually a step up form the tivo in pure PQ. its very good in interface. and expsically the app i find is really quite good and dependable... when am travelling and realise going to miss something wanted to watch. have had no dramas with its series tags and such either. 

I do miss the Tivo suggestions though... where it would record stuff it would think you like...based on what else you tend to like and record.
there are some glitches i have found with the fetch. there seems no way i can program its remote to do power on for our kuro and use its volume up down for our marantz av processor...the tivo glo remote did this easily. I cant even seem to find a code for the fetch remote to work the marantz volume.

another glitch I had confirmed by the head qualifi(D&M) tech that the fetch was never ever designed for passing signal via an avr to a display... and hence why it has hdcp hiccups ... even flags non compliance to a non hdmi 2.0 device when instead it should just down scale on the run. an easy fix for this is a office works comsol branded hdmi splitter ... that just happens to have a hdcp stripper by accident... pop that before an avr and problem solved :D can also use the hdmi splitter from jay car. does the same. you are not using this as a splitter in this case... just inline and it just strips the hdcp !  note there might be the odd other hdmi/hdcp gremlin. possible due to the mis design of the hdmi side of the unit.

one other oddity because of its number of tuners there is no guarantee you will switch on your TV and can then rewind back on a show that just happens to be on(tivo could do this). since it is quite possible the fetch is not recording the channel on air.... 
otherwise a great unit compact works well....

ps I am still awaiting the amazon prime app for it fetch head man announced some while back... though quite possibly its amazon thats the hold up here...

Hi Al,

I diidn't even realise there was an HDMI handshake issue as I already had a splitter in place for both the projector and the Plasma.  The unfortunate thing for me (other than all the positive stuff i posted earlier is that in line with the current HDMI worldwide agreement it only has HDMI out.  The previous model Fetch had a composite outpout that could be streamed simultaneously with the HDMI output.  Currently this means i cannot send my Fetch TV (or Netflix or Stan) signal to the other TV's in my house.

3 minutes ago, Linolad said:

Hi Al,

I diidn't even realise there was an HDMI handshake issue as I already had a splitter in place for both the projector and the Plasma.  The unfortunate thing for me (other than all the positive stuff i posted earlier is that in line with the current HDMI worldwide agreement it only has HDMI out.  The previous model Fetch had a composite outpout that could be streamed simultaneously with the HDMI output.  Currently this means i cannot send my Fetch TV (or Netflix or Stan) signal to the other TV's in my house.

hi linolad, there are devices can get to get around this hurdle

jay car has the below,

https://www.jaycar.com.au/hdmi-to-av-composite-converter/p/AC1720

not tried it, and a bit pricey, there might be other more affordable units also known to work. that said jay car has always had a good return policy so if down find does what you want can always return for something else get a refund :)

ps one other thing i am getting with our bedroom setup is the occasional black screen/ screen flashing. in this setup it is just plugged into a lcd tv so would think straight forward issue. no amount of rebooting tv/fetch putting to sleep etc has solved. i might try a replacement cable incase is source of issue.

53 minutes ago, Linolad said:

HDMI output.  Currently this means i cannot send my Fetch TV (or Netflix or Stan) signal to the other TV's in my house.

Any HDMI output can be sent to another TV in numerous ways from a wireless HDMI sender to HDMI over CAT4/5... can even control the remote functions from the other room.

JSmith :ninja:

1 hour ago, al said:
we have two fetch units. one i got for free by updating our optus plan - it actually went down in monthly charge and came with a fetch for free :D the other we got by handing in one of our TivoHD units to harvey norman...

Sorry to say the unit isn't free. Optus might be subsidising it during this contract (and maybe in perpetuity) but if you ever want to leave Optus you'll need to give it back.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

1 minute ago, pgdownload said:

Sorry to say the unit isn't free. Optus might be subsidising it during this contract (and maybe in perpetuity) but if you ever want to leave Optus you'll need to give it back.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I got in prior to the current deal where there is a monthly charge... infact I received a discount over my previous plan to have the fetch... :)  so yes I did receive it for free... infact they are effectively discounting me to have it vs what i was on prior. 

as to any return or whatever. i have no plans to change from optus. and will happily send back to them if when time comes. 

on other hand i do understand if my unit does go kaput at any time if i contact optus they will send me out another in replacement. 

We terminated our Fetch plan a few months ago (as we found we could get most of what we wanted through Netflix). I asked Optus whether we'd have to return the Fetch box and was told no, "you have paid for it and can keep it". [I think this was because we had completed the compulsory contract period.] So we still have it, but of course it can no longer get a validation through the internet, so is just taking up space... 

We found it very easy to use. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your helpful advice.  I may have confused you as I do actually understand all the possible options my "complaint" was only that they had changed to the new model (Optus that is) so it wouldn't be as simple as it was previously with my Tivo.  My Family room system is a standalone home theatre system (both plasma & projector) which breaks out when switched to the 4 room four zone system we use for music & video throughout the rest of the house. The control matrix system I use for that is the now defunct Australian made and designed Leaf audio.  Brilliant system and reliable. 

by the way all, if not getting one through optus. good guys have 20% off through which buys both mighty and mini fetch units quite cheaply :)

Is that current @:) al? - just looked on Good Guys online and it's full price still :(

6 minutes ago, Marc said:

Is that current @:) al? - just looked on Good Guys online and it's full price still :(

ebay store sorry i should have clarified.

need to use their CGOOD code 

https://www.ebay.com.au/rpp/thegoodguys/tgg-tvs-audio

when checking out, see fetch here,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FETCH-TV-M616T-Mighty-4-Tuner-PVR-/122536760074?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D550c0e48e4b0ccd5816d9c3a%26rpp_icid%3D57e1e4aae4b0cf33b311a58e

ends couple of days ! 

Thanks for that - grabbed another Mini for one of the bedrooms :)

2 hours ago, al said:

by the way all, if not getting one through optus. good guys have 20% off through which buys both mighty and mini fetch units quite cheaply :)

Be aware that if you are getting your Fetch with an ISP (Optus) that you can't add in store bought boxes to your existing account. So if you watch FetchTv via a Optus Plan then its possibly best to get the second box from Optus as well.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

35 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Be aware that if you are getting your Fetch with an ISP (Optus) that you can't add in store bought boxes to your existing account. So if you watch FetchTv via a Optus Plan then its possibly best to get the second box from Optus as well.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

peter im not buying one as a 2nd, i was just advising incase someone else was considering. by the way adding a 2nd fetch via optus is not cheap in my opinion. and for us it was better / cheaper to hand in our tivo to get the special rate on fetch hn do in that case. so would advise anyone getting a 2nd through optus to check and make sure deal getting as might be better to buy outright especially if discounted. 

you can run optus yes tv and shop bought fetch units. all you loose is multi room which we didnt want anyways. they still work just work independently of each other. but yes if wanting multi room either stick with both units as shop bought or optus supplied yes tv fetch units :) 

50 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Anyone need 2 x Optus Mightys? I made this mistake buying them on eBay that weren't disclosed as Optus supplied boxes. I now can't use them (I'm not an Optus customer). We absolutely need the multi-room functionality.