Philips Hue

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a Logitech Harmony Elite which has the ability to control smart lights from the remote, so I want to add some wifi downlights to my home theatre build. Philips do a GU10 model downlight globe which would work, but they're only 300 lumens. Just wondering if anyone here has used these in their theatre? The low light output worries me and they're quite expensive so I don't want to be wasting my money.

One way around this I suppose is to use more lights. I am putting some large framed movie prints on the back wall behind my seating, and just below the prints will be a floating shelf that will hold some movie collectibles. The plan was a row of 4 lights above this to light up the back wall area, and a row of 4 towards the front (don't need 4 at the front, but I just want to add 4 for aesthetics to match the rear). The room is 3.9 x 3.9. Do you think this would work fine? or overkill? If anyone has any other suggestions I'd like to hear it.

I'm using Phillips Hue lights with the same remote, however I'm using standard LED and strip LED lighting. They function fine and integrate well, I also use the Phillips light/motion sensor and wifi switch, generally you will pick them up cheaper at online retailers like amazon or eBay.. I agree they are expensive especially when you have a number of them.

JDH

• 2 weeks later...

Down lights will create shadows to it's best to have them spaced equal. No large empty areas. Usually I like to space down lights about 1m from the wall.

I live the hue light strips aswell. Make great accent lighting behind stuff like TVs etc

• 1 month later...

• Administrator

I use GU10 LIFX throughout my home. The GU10 has been discontinued. They've hinted at producing a next-generation version for quite some time but haven't revealed any details and don't answer any questions on timing.

This was taken from my media room last night:

_DSC2290.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/22/2017 at 10:30 AM, Marc said:

I use GU10 LIFX throughout my home. The GU10 has been discontinued. They've hinted at producing a next-generation version for quite some time but haven't revealed any details and don't answer any questions on timing.

This was taken from my media room last night:

_DSC2290.jpg

Looks awesome! I bought one of the globes for a lamp in my sitting/cinema room and it's about as far as i went playing with LiFX. One of my mates popped over and was so amazed at them he's done his entire apartment in them. haha
There's still a few GU10 floating about on ebay which i thought about snapping up but I hardly use the lamp I have now. 

• 5 months later...

I just fitted out the Van with 6 coloured LCT010 lamps and 5 light strips, controlled with a Hue Tap switch using the tap toggle plugin. Looks and works fantastically. 

• 3 months later...

• 8 months later...

I’ve just added a led strip to my setup running along and behind all the gear on the entertainment unit to see if I’d like it and it’s great at adding atmosphere. So now also thinking of changing all the current led down lights to the Philips Hue in the theatre room. We only ever use the room for movies, Xbox and of course music, so its never really  super bright anyway.  

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this thread.

I’m looking at the various wifi enabled, dimmable, colour changing smart downlights for my theatre room and keen to get some current thoughts.

As the OP stated, Philips Hue have a colour changing GU10 downlight but only being 250 lumens is disappointing. I thought that GU10 fittings were an unreliable half way point to a proper LED fitting/bulb and can overheat given all the parts are squashed into the GU10 fitting?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-hue-6-5w-smart-led-white-and-colour-ambiance-gu10-bulb_p4420598

I see Philips Hue also has a proper LED smart downlight with a more acceptable 600 lumens. The only downside is that it doesn’t seem to come in a RGB colour option. Has anyone heard otherwise?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-hue-home-auto-9w-white-ambiance-aphelion-smart-led-downlight_p0029157

The above Philips Hue Aphelion downlight in RGB is exactly what I’m looking for...

Guest rmpfyf
15 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Just bumping this thread.

I’m looking at the various wifi enabled, dimmable, colour changing smart downlights for my theatre room and keen to get some current thoughts.

As the OP stated, Philips Hue have a colour changing GU10 downlight but only being 250 lumens is disappointing. I thought that GU10 fittings were an unreliable half way point to a proper LED fitting/bulb and can overheat given all the parts are squashed into the GU10 fitting?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-hue-6-5w-smart-led-white-and-colour-ambiance-gu10-bulb_p4420598

I see Philips Hue also has a proper LED smart downlight with a more acceptable 600 lumens. The only downside is that it doesn’t seem to come in a RGB colour option. Has anyone heard otherwise?
https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-hue-home-auto-9w-white-ambiance-aphelion-smart-led-downlight_p0029157

The above Philips Hue Aphelion downlight in RGB is exactly what I’m looking for...

I run the Aphelion downlights at home. Very nice product though you'll want to do a light density calc prior to rolling them out - you'll need more than you think. Bought them online though a dealer shipping from Philips direct, which ended up costing less than Bunnings (make sure you get some pigtails though). 

I've never wanted for RGB so can't talk to that. The range we get out of the Aphelions are great for everything we practically want.

If you want brighter lights and more colours in a downlight, you want LIFX (https://www.lifx.com.au/collections/featured-products/products/lifx-downlight) - 800 lumens, angle adjustable, part-Australian company. A little more expensive but you'll get what you're paying for. 

If you're stuck for choice you can mix and match, and control them all through Homekit, Alexa or Google Home. 

I run the Aphelion downlights at home. Very nice product though you'll want to do a light density calc prior to rolling them out - you'll need more than you think. Bought them online though a dealer shipping from Philips direct, which ended up costing less than Bunnings (make sure you get some pigtails though). 

I've never wanted for RGB so can't talk to that. The range we get out of the Aphelions are great for everything we practically want.

If you want brighter lights and more colours in a downlight, you want LIFX (https://www.lifx.com.au/collections/featured-products/products/lifx-downlight) - 800 lumens, angle adjustable, part-Australian company. A little more expensive but you'll get what you're paying for. 

If you're stuck for choice you can mix and match, and control them all through Homekit, Alexa or Google Home. 

Thanks for that suggestion. The LIFX 100mm downlights look to be exactly what I’m after. Did a bit of googling now and not a lot of reviews/feedback on their reliability. Hopefully the wifi and app have matured. Will do a bit more digging. :)